C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Leaded Wheels? Are they serious?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 05:10 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C320CDI, SLK200K, FZS600, Saxo 1.1i(!)
Leaded Wheels? Are they serious?

my C320CDI (built in S Africa for UK as RHD) has arrived in the UK.

that's good news.

7Gtronic, paddle shifters, sports pack, spoiler, ipod integration, xenons - sounds gr8.

BUT, it will not be released for a couple of months as it has incorrect wheels fitted. They contain lead and that is not allowed in UK (or is it Europe?).

So gotta wait for new wheels from South Africa.

Anybody heard of this?
Old 08-26-2005, 05:51 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blassberg
my C320CDI (built in S Africa for UK as RHD) has arrived in the UK.

that's good news.

7Gtronic, paddle shifters, sports pack, spoiler, ipod integration, xenons - sounds gr8.

BUT, it will not be released for a couple of months as it has incorrect wheels fitted. They contain lead and that is not allowed in UK (or is it Europe?).

So gotta wait for new wheels from South Africa.

Anybody heard of this?
Surely, it cannot take 2 months for a full set of alloy wheels to be shipped over to the UK from Germany???

Have you speced your model up with the "Sports Edition" (AMG bodykit/alloys) or just the Sports Pack (that is the 5 spoke 17" alloy wheels)?

I would demand some sort of compensation/discount or a loan car from the garage supplying the car. I bet if you were to go to the mb parts dept at the stealership then they probbely be able to get the alloys shipped over from Germany within a couple of day...
Old 08-26-2005, 07:28 AM
Almost a Member!

C320CDI, SLK200K, FZS600, Saxo 1.1i(!)
Originally Posted by Flash
Surely, it cannot take 2 months for a full set of alloy wheels to be shipped over to the UK from Germany???
I have asked - they have said no - gotta come from the factory

Have you speced your model up with the "Sports Edition" (AMG bodykit/alloys) or just the Sports Pack (that is the 5 spoke 17" alloy wheels)?
Sports Pack 5 spoke 17" alloy wheels
Old 08-26-2005, 07:44 AM
Almost a Member!

Load of bull - demand that the Stealer to order ur alloys ASAP for next week and in time for 1st Sept registration (55 plate) otherwise threaten to cancel the order... The Stealer will order the wheels as immeditaley, If u dont demand new wheels from Stealer tehn u r a "MUG"...
Old 08-26-2005, 10:38 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
I agree with Flash (all but the MUG part) . Ask your dealer how badly they would like to sell you the car, or would they rather see you visit the nearest BMW dealer instead. 2 months to swap wheels is ridiculous.

This smells big time to me. Why would MB want to pay to warehouse a car for two months when a special order wheel swap would get you on your way and put cash in their pocket?

Since the S.African plant supplies ALL the RHD cars for UK, I can't imagine why the problem ever happened in the first place, or why they can't fix it quickly. It's not like yours is the only RHD Benz to ever be sold in the UK.

If the dealer has no spine, then ask for the regional MB office in Britain and ring them up.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:06 AM

It doesn't make sence unless something wrong other than wheels ??
Old 08-26-2005, 12:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Load of bull - demand that the Stealer to order ur alloys ASAP for next week
Just a guess but....

Is it possible this is a UK Customs issue that the above solution would not rectify? I know in my own dealing with US customs, you have to be very specific about what is coming in. If one part of something is not right, the solution is not always as easy as replacing the part.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:19 PM

Basically this is called the RoHS... Restricted of Hazardous Substance anything that is shipping to Europe has to be Leaded free regardless of what it is. Alot of Countries are taking part of this. In the US are going toward that also but not fully comply as of yet. That's just a brief statement of what i know but its more complex than that! this is nothing dealing with custom you're actually dealing with Europe it self! HAhahaha...Good Job bud....
Old 08-26-2005, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Walk away from the deal. That's just bull****.
Old 08-27-2005, 12:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
yeah thats just BS... but WHY SOUTH AFRICA? why dont u write a letter to MB of wherever? germany? duno what goes on in europe, but w/e write/call and ask for a logical explanation, ask them for a major discount because of teh 2 month wait, or tell them that the deals off and u'll just head out to another company... this is just complete BS! lead in wheels? wtf is that!? make this big,
Old 08-27-2005, 06:35 AM
Administrator

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
I agree that this doesn't sound right. Those cars are buit in SA for that market. MB is well aware of the import restrictions. I would also find it hard to believe that wheels can be checked at customs for material. I don't believe that the paperwork with the vehicle goes into that much detail. Once a car model and its contence (sp?) have been certified in a country all other cars following just piggy back on that cert.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:18 PM

C 230K Coupé
Yah i agree with amdeutsch, MB should definitely know of these "restrictions", i mean they're running a international business here. A 2 month wait to get wheels is unheard off, for some reason i get the feeling that they're telling you Bs and there's some other reason they're keeping the car. Either way 2 month is outrageous, I would definitelly complain and demand a discount or just walk away.