C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

engine hesitation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2002, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 K
Angry engine hesitation

Yesterday while driving my car on a steep hill in the third gear with ¾ of the tank full I felt a little hesitation from the engine (like it was lacking gas). After 15 minutes while driving on the highway at 65 m/h the same thing happened but worst. The engine did not stall but pushing the accelerator did not the engine to rev higher. It felt like I was out of gas. I pulled off the highway, switched to neutral (I have a manual gearbox) and then accelerated again and everything was fine. Did anybody experience something similar? It’s the third time it happens. Are there any techinical buletins pertinent to this problem. Thanks for your input.
Old 07-11-2002, 11:00 AM

2001 C240
Fuel Pump

Second day I had my 240 had something similar. Went on holiday and while driving on the highway it would stop responding to gas peddal. Pulled of, shut off, start up and it would be okay for a while, then do it again. Turned out it was a bum fuel pump but even after it was fixed there remianed short times when it would do it (but not as severe) That was fixed by replacing the mass air flow sensor. Been good since.
Old 07-11-2002, 12:47 PM

2008 C300 Sport
Re: Fuel Pump

Originally posted by 240classic
Second day I had my 240 had something similar. Went on holiday and while driving on the highway it would stop responding to gas peddal. Pulled of, shut off, start up and it would be okay for a while, then do it again. Turned out it was a bum fuel pump but even after it was fixed there remianed short times when it would do it (but not as severe) That was fixed by replacing the mass air flow sensor. Been good since.
Also, it could be something as minor as a dirty fuel filter. Sometimes it just the cheap fix.
Old 07-12-2002, 03:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 C240
i have a c240 auto... and mine has done it about twice... but while driving in traffic on a hot day... felt the engine sputter like it was out of gas and the accelerator did nothing for me... i'm not new to this ofcourse b/c i'm a previous mercedes owner... had an ml320 and the same thing happened a couple of times... car almost got me killed once that why i got rid of it... but anyways if it happens again... i guess i'll go replace the fuel pump and the mafs and the fuel filter... and i'll ask for the old parts back too, lol, those sneaky *******s aren't gonna get me