C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Trunk Handle Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2002, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C320
Trunk Handle Question

Ok, I finally got my plates so I want to go ahead and get a license plate frame. Someone recommended the trunk handle which sounds like a nice feature......

1) Does the trunk handle come as part of a frame or is it a separate piece that can be used in conjunction w/ a frame? (The picture on mbusa wasn't too clear)

2) If it can be used w/ a frame, my next question is whether or not the screws would be long enough to work w/ one of the frames on the mbusa site. I seem to recall talk of screws not being long enough for the trunk handle.

I'm thinking the "Polished Stainless Steel Slimline Frame" would like nice w/ the trunk handle.
Old 07-13-2002, 04:39 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Some people have these handles... tommy has it on his coupe. Maybe he can answer your question. However, are you aware that there exists a trunk handle in the under-edge of the trunklid itself?

The trunk lid pops up by itself, so there's no need to manually pull on a trunk handle... In the fully open position, the license plate trunk handle points to the sky... generally useless unless you're Shaq O'Neill. While the handle in the underside of the trunk lid is exposed (facing you) to assist in closing the lid.

Just suggesting you stand at the trunk and play with it a few minutes to understand the ergonomics involved before buying one of these.

Buy one if you like the look, of course. But I wouldn't describe it as a functional addition, IMO.
Old 07-13-2002, 04:42 PM

2002 C320
Originally posted by MB-BOB
However, are you aware that there exists a trunk handle in the under-edge of the trunklid itself?
Yep, I do use this to pull it most of the way down....but I still need to touch the rear deck lid to give it the final push.
Old 07-13-2002, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32 AMG
Originally posted by SFC320

Yep, I do use this to pull it most of the way down....but I still need to touch the rear deck lid to give it the final push.
Well, what you do is put some force into it and "throw" the trunk lid down so you do not have to touch the paint to close it. Works fine for me.
Old 07-13-2002, 05:53 PM

2002 C320
Originally posted by JustinTRW

Well, what you do is put some force into it and "throw" the trunk lid down so you do not have to touch the paint to close it. Works fine for me.

Hmmmm. I'll have to try that.....then I could save the $19 by not buying the handle
Old 07-13-2002, 06:43 PM

MB coupe.
There's another reason to use the built in trunk closer. It stays clean when the back of the car is dirty. It is behind the hatch gasket, and stays clean.

Oh those clever german engineers!!!

Smoky
Old 07-13-2002, 08:07 PM

2002 C320
Ok, I tried throwing down the trunk w/ the interior handle. While it is definitely doable, it does take some skill (My wife would never be able to get it to work )

That being said, I just bought the slimline frame and handle. I'll take a picture of it installed if anyone is interested.
Old 07-14-2002, 01:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32 AMG
Ok, I tried throwing down the trunk w/ the interior handle. While it is definitely doable, it does take some skill (My wife would never be able to get it to work )

That being said, I just bought the slimline frame and handle. I'll take a picture of it installed if anyone is interested.

You're right. You have to have to put some force into it, yet execute the motion so your hand gets out of the way. Hehe, whatever works for you.
Old 07-14-2002, 01:30 AM

'02 C230K Coupe
Is this a problem I need to fix?

Actually, sometimes when I try to "throw" the trunk lid, the latch doesn't grab properly and the lid ends up bouncing off the bottom and opening again... The method I use currently is to bring the door to the critical point between opening and closing by itself, and letting gravity do the rest of the work.
Old 07-14-2002, 07:26 AM

07' ML350
once, i had two fingers "paralyzed for minutes" after being slammed by the trunklid (between the trunk edge and rear bumper-----fingernails to b exact) when i closed it using the interior handle. I simply closed it too fast, that i wasnt able to clear my hand off in the trunks wayyyyy.............ouch!!! i think theres some flaw in this MB interior handle design, coz in my Lex IS, for 2.5years now, i havent got any accidents in using its trunk interior handle. I guess MB trunk springs to b d culprits.
Old 07-15-2002, 08:39 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
I have no idea why you people insist on slamming the trunk lid. It's not really supposed to be closed that way! The chrome trunk handle is very nice, and allows you to GENTLY close the trunk, the way that it's supposed to. I don't understand why you'd spend $40k on a c320, then slam down the trunk that way.

SF, the only problem that I had was that I've got an alumni plate, and the combination of the handle, the script lettering at the bottom of the license, and the "Mercedes-Benz" at the bottom of the plate frame combined to make the screws too short. But then I changed the frame to a simple one with the "M-B" on it, and it now fits like a glove. I really like it, and for $19, who can complain?
Old 07-26-2002, 12:41 PM

2002 C320
Unhappy Wasted $19

Just an update....I finally got the MB slimline frame and the trunk handle. The frame is nice, but the trunk handle is definitely not worth it. I installed it and....

1) It doesn't stick out much and isn't much of a handle
2) Closing your trunk with a handle held on by 2 tiny screws doesn't seem like it will last long. It seems flimsy at best.

Oh well, I put the screw caps on before testing it so I'll just leave it on.
Old 07-26-2002, 12:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Re: Wasted $19

Closing your trunk with a handle held on by 2 tiny screws doesn't seem like it will last long. It seems flimsy at best.
Well, I've been closing my heavier hatch with it since October. By "tiny screws" you mean the license plate screws, right? They seem sturdy to me.
Old 07-26-2002, 01:54 PM

C32 AMG
They are bringing the automatic trunk handle back in the S-Class. I think they should do it for all models. It's pretty tight, the handle pops out when you unlock the trunk, then retracts after you close it.
Old 07-26-2002, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Originally posted by tommy
I have no idea why you people insist on slamming the trunk lid. It's not really supposed to be closed that way!
My wife likes to "slam" everything, including the glove compartment door. If she opens it, now I have to always remind her that it just takes a gentle push -- I mean you don't have to break the thing, right .

She once drove some older relatives somewhere in her car. She told me her aunt kept slamming the rear door to be sure it was closed. When she got home, the rear power door lock module had come loose inside the door and had to be fixed -- luckily, under warranty.
Old 07-26-2002, 05:32 PM

C32 AMG
Originally posted by MarkL

My wife likes to "slam" everything, including the glove compartment door. If she opens it, now I have to always remind her that it just takes a gentle push -- I mean you don't have to break the thing, right .

She once drove some older relatives somewhere in her car. She told me her aunt kept slamming the rear door to be sure it was closed. When she got home, the rear power door lock module had come loose inside the door and had to be fixed -- luckily, under warranty.
My mom kept slamming her trunk on her S500 and when she took it in for her 75000 mile check-up, the bill was close to $5k. Now it wasn't all trunk, but still it was a significant part of it.
Old 07-26-2002, 06:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32 AMG
I'm still working on my wife and stepkids about the slamming part. They must be used to American cars (that would be pre-me)! So whenever I close the trunk I make a big point out of gently clicking it shut!
Old 07-26-2002, 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 BMW M6, 2008 Ducati 1098, 2008 Ducati Monster S2R1000, 1971 Ducati Scrambler
I have the chrome trunk handle on my S500, I never use it, but it adds pizazz to the rear of the car . I plan on putting the trunk handle on my C32 when it arrives aswell, even though I will never use it.