C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

finally got my CUstom trunk!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 12:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'04 Mars Red C230K Sport Coupe (not Coup-EH)
Looks good! I'm curious about something though.

I know that subs put out frequencies that you feel more than hear. As such, I'm trying to figure out if the direction the sub is pointing will make any difference. I often see setups like this (closed box, I'm assuming) where the subs point every which way. Does it make any difference? Or does it hit too hard when pointed directly at you? :p
Old 09-30-2005, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The True OG Modded out W203

Love your shirt
Old 09-30-2005, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C230SS 6MT, 1966 Triumph TR4a IRS, Shelby Cobra 427 Supercharged
Originally Posted by jedcred
Looks good! I'm curious about something though.

I know that subs put out frequencies that you feel more than hear. As such, I'm trying to figure out if the direction the sub is pointing will make any difference. I often see setups like this (closed box, I'm assuming) where the subs point every which way. Does it make any difference? Or does it hit too hard when pointed directly at you? :p
That is correct, subs are omnidirectional. However placement of a sub in relation to its surroundings will affect its sound. For example, to get the best sound out of a home theater subwoofer place it on the floor in a corner. I have no idea the best placement in a car, but most aftermarket subs are so loud anyway it wont really matter!
Old 09-30-2005, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
is not yet completed
Originally Posted by LorinserCClass

Love your shirt
heh thanx ..
Old 09-30-2005, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E350 Iridium Silver with pano
Originally Posted by LorinserCClass

Love your shirt

....and the "LIVESTRONG" band. right?
Old 09-30-2005, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is not yet completed
Originally Posted by white_w203
looks clean cant wait to check it out in person at carlab
cant wait to check out your ride bro.. see ya tom
Old 09-30-2005, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'01 C320 || '14 Honda Pilot EX-L
Originally Posted by Capt Nemo o2
That is correct, subs are omnidirectional. However placement of a sub in relation to its surroundings will affect its sound. For example, to get the best sound out of a home theater subwoofer place it on the floor in a corner. I have no idea the best placement in a car, but most aftermarket subs are so loud anyway it wont really matter!

Oh yes, it matters. If I turn mine around to face the front of the vehicle it is the worst thing that I have ever heard. You need to experiment with each individual vehicle for the best response. In my car the best is all the way to the trunk opening facing back.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is not yet completed
thanx for all of the compliments ...
Old 09-30-2005, 04:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C300
Originally Posted by Capt Nemo o2
Found an article online back when I was putting in my stereo - and will search for it again - about positioning of subwoofers in a car.

Anyway, to summarize, it was found aiming the subs at the rear of the car (for trunk mounted boxes) produced the greatest SPL. The closer the rear, the better, but this didn't make as much difference as the direction they were pointing.

I think it had to do with reflection/absorbtion of sound waves off the walls of the trunk - can't remember exactly. If I find it again, I'll post it.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200K (w204)

In all the picture above, the vertical line are the boot, first pic is when the sub mounted facing the front of the vehicle ie; opposite to the one posted by the thread starter.
Second pic shows when the speaker box has been aimed at the boot instead of the rear seat and you can clearly see the direct and reflected waves are not nearly as much out of phase as in the first example. This resulting in much better bass reproduction.
Third pic represents the subwoofer enclosure being moved to the rear of the trunk with the subwoofer aiming forward. The waves are a little closer to being in phase with each other.
Last pic showed when aiming the rear mounted subwoofer enclosure at the rear so the direct and reflected wave are very close to being in perfect phase from the start and hence they reinforcing each other quite well.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is not yet completed
Originally Posted by W0n6_3d4n

In all the picture above, the vertical line are the boot, first pic is when the sub mounted facing the front of the vehicle ie; opposite to the one posted by the thread starter.
Second pic shows when the speaker box has been aimed at the boot instead of the rear seat and you can clearly see the direct and reflected waves are not nearly as much out of phase as in the first example. This resulting in much better bass reproduction.
Third pic represents the subwoofer enclosure being moved to the rear of the trunk with the subwoofer aiming forward. The waves are a little closer to being in phase with each other.
Last pic showed when aiming the rear mounted subwoofer enclosure at the rear so the direct and reflected wave are very close to being in perfect phase from the start and hence they reinforcing each other quite well.
nice one man
Old 10-12-2005, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is SOLD
so i should mount the subs closer to the trunk as possible?
Old 10-13-2005, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200K (w204)
According to that diagram yes, but u may or may not like the output, sometimes u may find the bass a bit too peaky. If your enclosures permit, then just play around with the location, won't hurt .