C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Pulley Differences

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2002, 02:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
99' SLK 230 & 01' CLK 430
Pressed on? That's a surprised. Why press on and not bolt on like the rest of other idler pulley/pulley? Oh..maybe the S/C pulley also has "harmonic balancer". Can you confirm that Buell?
Old 07-20-2002, 10:53 AM

2002 c230k
Originally posted by Buellwinkle
I don't want to sound like a know it all but I did spend a lot of time staring, measuring, taking pictures, just short of making love to those pulleys.
Insert your own joke here! I'm glad Buellwinkle is trying to be modest.

If the s/c pulley is made smaller there is less contact area with the belt and as such a greater force is placed on the belt per unit area causing it to wear more quickly. It doesn't matter about the angle the belt travels through, it's the radius of the turn that can also cause premature wear. Thats why an alternator pulley cant be compared to a smaller s/c pulley, additionally the force need to turn the alt is a fraction of the s/c's.
Old 07-20-2002, 12:51 PM

99' SLK 230 & 01' CLK 430
Yeah...yeah.....yeah guys !!! You guys just don't get it !!! From an engineering point of view, what do you guys think is more importance? The life of the belt wear out too fast? Or the eninge crank, seal etc. and reliability of the engine is reduces due to the removal of the "harmonic balancer" on the crank pulley?
Old 07-20-2002, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Originally posted by speedfrk
The amount of force required to turn the supercharger at any given rpm (but especially at high rpm) is going to be quite a bit higher than what is required to turn an alternator. So comparing the 2 is not really valid. Belt slippage might be a problem, but I bet the real reason is the compexity of changing the SC pulley compared to the relative ease of changing the crank pulley.
I agree about the last statement. Contact area between the belt and the S/C pulley will be smaller, but not by much, and the angle at which the belt loops around it will stay about the same, contrary to what is benig pitched around. Just look at the photo a few posts back. The alternator pulley is much smaller, and the belt loops around it making a full 180 deg. at a much sharper angle than it would around the upgraded C/S pulley, which suggests that the supercharger shaft is *easier* to crank than the alternator one (at full load when it has to output the maximum current, I believe, but - nonetheless...). I also don't think that precision is a factor, as modern technology allows to manufacture a smaller pulley to the right specs and dynamic characteristics. The only reason I can see is ease of installation.

Last edited by vadim; 07-20-2002 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi guys

Who knows whats the size of the crakshaft pulley on a M45 with electric clutch (dia 3,5" if I am correct) and how much boost it makes at certain rpms???