C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Coupe vs. Jetta 1.8T

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2002, 09:53 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
Originally posted by Buellwinkle
Check with Ben Hunter at MB of Laguna Niguel. He has done stuff for people including Mark Cummins and Vadim of Evosports. He's working on my car today. At least with those guys you'll get a nice MB loaner while they do it.
hey Buellwinkle did u ever go back to the track with the ASP pully installed. If i hear a good time i think i am going to buy the ASP pully. Also all the things people have said about the A/F ratio i think they all said it was high. But what problems could that cause. Anything soon? or over lots of years. because if its anything over time i dont give a Sh*t because i will be trading it in in about 2 years.

Just curious whats your car in for? And hows your car running with the pully. Do u think that the ASP pully really makes your car faster than the Kleemann? i am only asking because i am finally serious about getting the pully soon.

thanks
Old 07-22-2002, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Although the a/f ratio is a little high, it's not throwing any detonation codes. Most of the time while you are driving, the wastegate bleeds off uneeded boost so you're a/f ratio should be the same as before. When you go wide open throttle, the wastegate closes and you get full boost, this is when it gets lean. Lean by itself is not bad a long as your combustion chamber temps don't get too high and cause pre-ignition which it's not except at very high RPM's above 5,500, enough to pull back timing but not enough to throw a code for too much. I'll take it to the track again when the issue is resolved and I have time.

I'm working with the MB dealer to correct this but we ran into a little snag with the ECU and it needs to be fixed first, hopefully at then end of this week or early next week.
Old 07-22-2002, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Although the a/f ratio is a little high, it's not throwing any detonation codes. Most of the time while you are driving, the wastegate bleeds off uneeded boost so you're a/f ratio should be the same as before. ...
Now, wait a minute... it's not a turbo, there's no wastegate in a supercharger...
Old 07-22-2002, 10:31 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Although the a/f ratio is a little high, it's not throwing any detonation codes. Most of the time while you are driving, the wastegate bleeds off uneeded boost so you're a/f ratio should be the same as before. When you go wide open throttle, the wastegate closes and you get full boost, this is when it gets lean. Lean by itself is not bad a long as your combustion chamber temps don't get too high and cause pre-ignition which it's not except at very high RPM's above 5,500, enough to pull back timing but not enough to throw a code for too much. I'll take it to the track again when the issue is resolved and I have time.

I'm working with the MB dealer to correct this but we ran into a little snag with the ECU and it needs to be fixed first, hopefully at then end of this week or early next week.
maybe i will wait and hear how it gets resolved. the only reason i am worried is becuase i floor my car alot and take it to red line usually a cupple times a day. lol. so i dont really want anything to happen seriously. And since its always really hot here in Florida i dont want any temps to reach there extreme and have any problems.

how does the kleemann pully have a lower A/F ratio.?
Old 07-23-2002, 10:40 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crossfire Coupe
the new Jetta 1.8T auto. is amazingly quick on the low-end. Great acceleration for what it is, a 1.8 turbocharged 4 cylinder and automatic. It really doens't leave you begging for more power like the older 150hp generation of the 1.8T. The 2.3 C230 is a proven engine that is great at what it does, albeit a little improvement in the sound and dampening dept., but nonetheless a great engine. HOwever what pulls me away from the VW 1.8T would be the fwd setup. You really cant enjoy the full power the 1.8T 180 HP engine has to offer due to tire spin out no matter what. Whereas the Benz pushes you in a very linear fashion like a miniature rocket down the road. If VW would change the set up from FWD to RWD they'd have better performance figures and handling i think. Just my 2 cents of owning products of both makes. Example look at Honda with the S2000 can you imagine an S2000 FWD??????

Last edited by Black230; 07-23-2002 at 10:48 PM.
Old 07-23-2002, 11:10 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally posted by Black230
the new Jetta 1.8T auto. is amazingly quick on the low-end. Great acceleration for what it is, a 1.8 turbocharged 4 cylinder and automatic. It really doens't leave you begging for more power like the older 150hp generation of the 1.8T. The 2.3 C230 is a proven engine that is great at what it does, albeit a little improvement in the sound and dampening dept., but nonetheless a great engine. HOwever what pulls me away from the VW 1.8T would be the fwd setup. You really cant enjoy the full power the 1.8T 180 HP engine has to offer due to tire spin out no matter what. Whereas the Benz pushes you in a very linear fashion like a miniature rocket down the road. If VW would change the set up from FWD to RWD they'd have better performance figures and handling i think. Just my 2 cents of owning products of both makes. Example look at Honda with the S2000 can you imagine an S2000 FWD??????
I am not an owner of a Jetta 1.8T but my sisters is on my drive way and i have drvin it, it is a quick fun car to drive but just a little slower feeling than the coupe. But over all it is not a bad car with reasonable perfromance.
Old 07-24-2002, 10:03 AM

C32 AMG
... It really doens't leave you begging for more power like the older 150hp generation of the 1.8T.
We will always beg for more power, at least I will!

... HOwever what pulls me away from the VW 1.8T would be the fwd setup. You really cant enjoy the full power the 1.8T 180 HP engine has to offer due to tire spin out no matter what. Whereas the Benz pushes you in a very linear fashion like a miniature rocket down the road. If VW would change the set up from FWD to RWD they'd have better performance figures and handling i think...
Hasn't VW always had a FWD setup? Wouldn't you also get less wheelspin than a RWD since the weight of the engine should help with traction, or do wider tires in a staggered setup compensate for this? I wouldn't think it would be s perfect offset.
Old 07-24-2002, 10:15 AM
hrh
Almost a Member!

C230K
Originally posted by Boo2

We will always beg for more power, at least I will!

Hasn't VW always had a FWD setup? Wouldn't you also get less wheelspin than a RWD since the weight of the engine should help with traction, or do wider tires in a staggered setup compensate for this? I wouldn't think it would be s perfect offset.

No, VW began with RWD roots (think Beetle and Karmann Ghia).

There are a million reasons why you get worse wheelspin with a FWD car, including the fact that the cetrifugal force of the engine actually rocks the torque up off the wheels, and weight transfer under acceleration is actually from the front to the back, taking weight off the front wheels.

Most importantly is that for any given tire, there is only so much coefficient of friction. If some of that friction/traction is being used up for acceleration grip, there is that much less for lateral (steering/handling) grip. A RWD car uses the front wheels for steering and the rear for driving, an FWD car uses the same two for both.

Finally, you can't "steer" the car with the gas pedal nearly as much with a FWD car. w/ the exception of rally cars (a completely different rule book), look at all serious forms of road racing: RWD.