C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Engine Braking and Coasting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550
a fellow brooklyn benz owner on the forum... welcome... as for the downshifting, i have been doin it for like a year on and off but havent seen any problems at all.... but even ppl that had their cars for years and do this i havent heard many problems
Old 11-12-2005, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by diamondblak05
I wasn't upset at any comments you made; I just disagree with your comments about guys who drive autos wear skirts. Like FrankW said, tell that to the AMG community.
Actually, the fact that all the AMG cars are auto only really limits the appeal. I'm not the only one that feels this way. BMW "M" owners often highlight the fact that AMG doesn't give you an option.

If autos are kept filled with oil and driven properly, there is no clutch to worry about wearing out.
The clutch is NOT part of the transmission. Its a go between, connecting the flywheel and transmission. Its not a "breakdown" in the transmission. A clutch disk is akin to brake pads- a wear item. They wear out, you swap in a new one. Replacng a clutch is very easy on a RWD car, and far far cheaper than any auto transmission repair.

BTW, you don't fill an automatic transmission with oil. It uses a "fluid', more akin to a hydraulic fluid, than an oil. Any mechanic will tell you the auto's have more to go wrong.

Comparing your miles from your own car to a loaner is a no brainer. Loaners are driven harsely by just about anyone who drives it and probably poorly maintained also.
I disagree. They are all relatively new MB's, maintained by the dealer. I don't think there's much possibility of a loaner with 3500 miles on it being in such poor condition that the mileage is affected.

I hope you don't drive your car like you drive a loaner. I drive an auto and consistently gets about 27-30mpg with mix driving.
Ive had loaners for extended periods, and after the non thrill of hammering that C240, or (when I'm so lucky) a C320/S430/E320's ... and the auto trans C230SS, I do like to see how the mileage compares. Driven normally, no feathering the throttle, like everyone normally drives, a C240 would get no better than 18mpg on the same route I drive every day. Driven more conservatively, using the slapshift to force an upshift, etc...I can eak out about 22, sometimes 23mpg. Sure, its a six, but its only 300cc's bigger, and its down 70HP against my ride. Perhaps someone with a manual C240 can post there mileage.

What kind of insurance plan do you have? Once your regular 4 year/50K miles warranty expires, your insurance handles most repair costs......such as engine, transmission/transaxle, drive axle, air conditioner, steering, front suspension, rear suspension, brakes, electrical, etc....and you pay a deductable.
Huh? What kind of policy is that? Ive never heard of such a thing. Youre not confusing this with "extended warranty" are you?

I hate it when insurance companies group people into those types of categories. Just because I drive a stick doesn't mean I'm more reckless than someone who drives an auto and vice-versa.
That is really backwards, given all the stick shift econoboxes running around out there.

Your comment here "Take off your skirts and learn to drive manual transmission cars." assumes whoever drives autos wear skirts.
Its just a jab. Nothing personal.

Sure...they can wear whatever they want, but you're prejudging them already. How would you like it if I call you 'stingy' .....like my mom did to me...even though you're not at all?
Sure. I don't mind. Stingy. Bob, can you replace "MBWorld Fanatic!" or whatever it says these days next to the avatar with"Stingy Manual Transmission guy"?
Old 11-12-2005, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C230SS 6MT, 1966 Triumph TR4a IRS, Shelby Cobra 427 Supercharged
If autos are kept filled with oil and driven properly, there is no clutch to worry about wearing out.
That is not really true. Automatics have clutch packs for each gear which do wear out. They dont wear as much as a manual because they dont all get used during each shift and downshift. They also dont have the clutch slip nor take the abuse that a clutch an a manual takes. But they do wear, and I would gladly pay the price to have a clutch replaced than to have an automatic rebuilt. Even though it probably balances out, more clutch jobs (assume every 80K miles) and an automatic rebuild every 300K!
Old 11-12-2005, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Take a look on autotrader, or ebay...very few automatics make it to 200, much less 300 without a canopener. Figure 1500 easy for a rebuilt automatic.
Old 11-12-2005, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Outland
Take a look on autotrader, or ebay...very few automatics make it to 200, much less 300 without a canopener. Figure 1500 easy for a rebuilt automatic.
I gave it a high estimate! I thought 200K but never had, nor know of anyone who's had a car with that much milage.
Old 11-12-2005, 08:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by Capt Nemo o2
I gave it a high estimate! I thought 200K but never had, nor know of anyone who's had a car with that much milage.
My last Cherokee made it to 200K, but the tranny was getting a little iffy. It was constantly changing gears for no reason, holding them too long... I changed the filter, adjusted the shifting and flushed it, and that returned the shifting to normal...but it would slip just as much when I got on the gas, especially off the line. New owner will love it.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My last Cherokee made it to 200K, but the tranny was getting a little iffy. It was constantly changing gears for no reason, holding them too long... I changed the filter, adjusted the shifting and flushed it, and that returned the shifting to normal...but it would slip just as much when I got on the gas, especially off the line. New owner will love it.
Hey thats good for a Jeep tranny! I remember alot of people had their trannies replaced under warranty on the 95 to 98 GC ZJ's (they put in a weaker tranny in 95, 93 and 94 were stronger. 93 and 94 also had the option of a 5 speed on the I6) I had no problems with my tranny up to the point I sold it, 130K. The transfer case however, died at 115K, when TC got hot the front and rear axles locked together, made turning fun! However, with the exception of the distributer gear breaking, the engine was as strong as ever, the 4.0 I6 and 318/360 V8's were bullet proof engines. I know people who put 300K+ on the 4.0 before a recommended rebuild. Anyways sorry I'm
Old 11-13-2005, 12:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by Capt Nemo o2
Hey thats good for a Jeep tranny! I know people who put 300K+ on the 4.0 before a recommended rebuild. Anyways sorry I'm
My family has always had Jeeps, and theyve been very reliable...like you said, the inline six was indestructable.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:05 AM

Mine 2005 C230 Kompressor, Dad's 2005 ML350
hey...clkcadet where in BK are you...oh and is the car supposed to stand still on pretty small inclines if its in "C" mode....and does the C mode provide better gas mileage? for some reason it seems lower to me
Old 11-15-2005, 12:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
excites your girlfriend
Originally Posted by StillKickin
Thank god my car is white....
what does the color of your car have to do with anything?
Old 11-15-2005, 01:56 AM

C 230K Coupé
This thread has gone completely off topic. But i would like to say that there is nothing out there that can compare to the satisfaction and control you receive by driving a Manual car. Having the 3rd pedal there and being able to choose EXACTLY what you want the car to do is just an amazing feeling of control. What do you guys think of the SMG transmission? I personally still feel like it's just an automatic... i need that damn 3rd pedal!
Old 11-15-2005, 02:09 PM

Mine 2005 C230 Kompressor, Dad's 2005 ML350
Coasting is good when you're going downhill and don't need your foot on the gas pedal or when you want to roll to a slow stop. Other than that, you'll be one of those drivers that I see all the time....one moment, he's slow as ever and then another moment, he's hugging my a**s already. Engine braking is good when you're going down hill too fast (steep decline) and you don't want to constantly step on your brake pedal. It's also good when you're constantly going down hill....like coming down from a mountain at Yosemite national park.

(OFF TOPIC): Regarding those comments by "outland", many people choose automatics simply because of different reasons. But from my own personal experience, it goes like this: First, autos have been known to last longer than manuals. Second, it is easier and more relaxing to drive in heavy traffic hours. Third, it's almost as fuel efficient as a stick if you don't have lead foot. But just by observing how most americans drive, I would say about >90% of them have lead foot. Fourth, not everyone can drive sticks. My mother used to tell me....if your car is a stick, it means you're stingy because you don't want us old folks driving it. And fifth, insurance is cheaper for autos. Why? because they know that stick cars will break down faster and in general, those who drives sticks are more wild than those who drives autos (insurance's point of view). This dumb rule also applies to a RED color car compared to a WHITE color car.

Driving an auto doesn't mean we have to wear skirts! It's a matter of preferences. I drive both because sometimes I want to be a little on the wild side (manual) but sometimes, I want to be down to earth (auto).

thats what my cars color has to do with anything...i dont really know...random comment
Old 11-15-2005, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
excites your girlfriend
thats what my cars color has to do with anything...i dont really know...random comment
ohhh i missed that line
Old 11-15-2005, 07:10 PM

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Too many to list
The clutch is NOT part of the transmission. Its a go between, connecting the flywheel and transmission. Its not a "breakdown" in the transmission. A clutch disk is akin to brake pads- a wear item. They wear out, you swap in a new one. Replacng a clutch is very easy on a RWD car, and far far cheaper than any auto transmission repair.

BTW, you don't fill an automatic transmission with oil. It uses a "fluid', more akin to a hydraulic fluid, than an oil. Any mechanic will tell you the auto's have more to go wrong.
I guess I should've clarify my statement a bit more. "fill with oil" meant the engine oil for the autos and not the manual. The auto transmission uses its own special ATF. Anyone should know that replacing a clutch is way cheaper than replacing an auto transmission, but when I said auto transmission have been known to last longer than manual is that the clutches wore out faster than an auto trans, thus requiring more repairs. From the insurance's point of view, this is more maintiance costs for them and thus, a higher rate compared to cars with auto trans.

I don't think there's much possibility of a loaner with 3500 miles on it being in such poor condition that the mileage is affected.
I didn't say that the dealer don't maintain their loaners properly; it's the people that drives them...like you and me! Also, from what I've seen and heard, most people who drive loaners don't put premium gas in them and always put the foot to the floor.

Driven more conservatively, using the slapshift to force an upshift, etc...I can eak out about 22, sometimes 23mpg. Sure, its a six, but its only 300cc's bigger, and its down 70HP against my ride.
MPGs varies from one car to another so we'll never really know this one.

Huh? What kind of policy is that? Ive never heard of such a thing. Youre not confusing this with "extended warranty" are you?
I stand corrected. I was thinking of a comprehensive collision insurance plan from State Farm or AAA!

Last edited by diamondblak05; 11-15-2005 at 07:23 PM.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:16 PM

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Too many to list
Originally Posted by ctC230K
what does the color of your car have to do with anything?
I was told this from my insurance agent....."sports cars, luxury cars, etc..etc...cars with flashy colors such as red, yellow, or other colors that stands out from the crowd usually costs more because they attract more attention, thus being more likely to get vandalized or stolen." Whether this is true or not, talk to your agent.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S550
hey...clkcadet where in BK are you...oh and is the car supposed to stand still on pretty small inclines if its in "C" mode....and does the C mode provide better gas mileage? for some reason it seems lower to me
sheepshead bay area... btw in c mode it will stand still bec the car is starting in 2nd gear... but try not to let it stand on its own its not the best for the tranny as for gas mileage i have a 320 engine but i barely check it but im happy if its over 19mpg