C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Audio 10 manual, anyone?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2002, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Audio 10 manual, anyone?

My Audio 10 CD unit, that was bought through eBay.de, came w/o any manual. Although I figured out most of the functions by playing with the controls, there are a few items that need clarification.

1. TA-SPEED parameter: what exactly does it affect?

2. Invertible "TP" message that appears during CD playback and on RDS-enabled FM stations.

3. "RP" message - on some RDS FM stations.

Many thanks in advance.
Old 07-21-2002, 02:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230 Coupe
One of my clients is German. I had her help me out with the manual one day.

TA - Speed sensitive sound levels (I think)

TP - In Europe the radio stations have some sort of TP system so that you can mute the radio, but if there is any important message it will automatically un-mute. There are very few stations in the states that support it. I get one country station in town that does. I believe when you enable TP mode with a CD on it tries to find a TP enabled station so that it will allow muting. For what we use, the power button seems to be the best mute

RP - I believe it is when it thinks its some sort of local channel. Maybe a strong signal. If you hold down the RDS you can turn RP on or off. On I believe only gets strong "local" stations.

Understand all my info is from informal information from a friendly German client who gracefully interpreted but had more fun playing in my MB :p so take everything with a grain of salt.

-Eric
Old 07-21-2002, 02:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
All this business about muting - it can't seem to be done manually (as by pressing a "pause/mute" button, like in Volvo). I wonder if all this relates to muting when there is a telephone call?

Also, I tried all settings of TA-SPEED, 0 through 3, and couldn't notice any difference in speed-related volume change. Maybe I didn't pay close attention - will re-check tomorrow.
Old 07-21-2002, 08:18 AM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
Originally posted by vadim
All this business about muting - it can't seem to be done manually (as by pressing a "pause/mute" button, like in Volvo). I wonder if all this relates to muting when there is a telephone call?

Also, I tried all settings of TA-SPEED, 0 through 3, and couldn't notice any difference in speed-related volume change. Maybe I didn't pay close attention - will re-check tomorrow.
You can not mute CD-playback, only radio playback.

The TA-speed thing is not the speed sensitive setting. It is used to set the relative volume on the Traffic Announcements (TA) that is broadcasted in some RDS-nets. It works like this: A traffic announcement is broadcasted, and interrupts your normal playback (CD or radio). If TA-SPEED is set to 0, no volume increase will occur. However if you choose to set it to 1, 2 or 3, there will be a volume incrase in 3dB steps for the traffic announcements only. When the traffic announcement is finished, the unit will return to its previous volume state.

To activate the Traffic Announcement thing, You select the TP symbol not to be inverted (I think...)

The RP (Radio program) is (i believe) for turning RDS features on and off.

Last edited by DtS; 07-21-2002 at 08:21 AM.
Old 07-22-2002, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 Lexus GS300 RWD, '07 Camry SE V6 auto, '91 190E 2.6 auto
I'm having similar problems understanding the functions of my new Audio 10. Okay, how do you "invert" TP? When I push the RDS button and hold it down, I get "Reg ON" followed by "Reg Off". What does that mean? When I push RDS quickly, I toggle between (eaxample) "RDS 107.3" and "107.3 MHz". I'm only seeing one channel that has its logo on the disaply vs. "RDS xxx.xx" on all the others. I could have sworn more local channels had RDS service when I had an RDS radio in my old Expedition. Also, in the manual (page 15), I see an example of a display that reads "SWR1 BW". What does that mean?

thanks
Jim
Old 07-22-2002, 04:32 PM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
Originally posted by Jim Banville
I'm having similar problems understanding the functions of my new Audio 10. Okay, how do you "invert" TP? When I push the RDS button and hold it down, I get "Reg ON" followed by "Reg Off". What does that mean? When I push RDS quickly, I toggle between (eaxample) "RDS 107.3" and "107.3 MHz". I'm only seeing one channel that has its logo on the disaply vs. "RDS xxx.xx" on all the others. I could have sworn more local channels had RDS service when I had an RDS radio in my old Expedition. Also, in the manual (page 15), I see an example of a display that reads "SWR1 BW". What does that mean?

thanks
Jim

Ok, now I have the manual in my hands...

RDS cannot be completely turned off, but what can be so is a fuction called "RDS-Autobest". This function is turned on/off by quickly pressing the RDS-button. When this function is active, the station names etc. will be showed in the display (if such UKV-info is broadcasted).

REG ON, REG OFF is used by RDS for finding the strongest signal on a given station, within a regional area. If REG OFF is selected the strongest signal is selected on a national basis rather than regional. This is what the "RP"-symbol means, and it is shorthand for Regional Program.

The SWR1 BW is just an example of a radio station (it's a german radio station)

To invert the the "TP"-symbol press and hold the mute-button

If you have any more questions, I will gladly try to answer them.
Old 07-22-2002, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

REG ON, REG OFF is used by RDS for finding the strongest signal on a given station, within a regional area. If REG OFF is selected the strongest signal is selected on a national basis rather than regional. This is what the "RP"-symbol means, and it is shorthand for Regional Program.
Thanks for the help!
I haven't seen RP on any of my displays. Would I need to set REG ON or OFF to see it? Is Reg On/off sort of like the local/distant buttons I've seen on other radios?

Trending Topics

Old 07-22-2002, 07:56 PM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor

Thanks for the help!
I haven't seen RP on any of my displays. Would I need to set REG ON or OFF to see it? Is Reg On/off sort of like the local/distant buttons I've seen on other radios?
REG ON should bring up the "RP"-symbol.

I don't know if Reg On/Off is equal to local/distant, but my guess is that it is.

When REG ON is selected the radio will roam for the best signals for a local radio-station, but when you leave the "bounds" for this station the Audio 10 will start roam for the best signal given this selected frequency (wich may be a completely different local station, then the first one).

When REG OFF is selected the roaming will be on, guess I could use the word "distant" basis, i.e. national stations.

Hope this helped!
Old 07-22-2002, 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks! Another question - how do I program stations over the 4 ones on the 1 through 4 buttons on the face of the receiver? I noticed that whe using the steering wheel arrows for channel changing I was able to go up to about 8 or 9 stations.

thanks
Jim
Old 07-22-2002, 08:33 PM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
Jim,

You can only store 4 FM-stations, and some, I think, 8 more AM stations. To acces the other stations than the 4 first you have to change frequency band manually (the AM-button). Using the steering wheel controls loops over all the 12 (or number of stored) stations.

/Daniel

Last edited by DtS; 07-22-2002 at 08:38 PM.
Old 07-22-2002, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't think REG ON/OFF is the same as distant/local. In Europe, stations are often licensed for the entire country and use many transmitters. Here, stations are only licensed for a specific location and have one transmitter site.
Old 07-23-2002, 08:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Guys, can you tell me if my Audio 10 has a broken volume knob? I noticed that the knob is very flimsy/floppy. I pulled the rubber knob straight off and noticed that the shaft it slides onto is VERY loose, altough the base of the component seems soldered firmly to the faceplate's circuitboard. Does anyone else's knob feel like this?
Old 07-23-2002, 09:07 AM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
Mine feels OK. Not floppy at all.
Old 07-23-2002, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Thanks! Another question - how do I program stations over the 4 ones on the 1 through 4 buttons on the face of the receiver? I noticed that whe using the steering wheel arrows for channel changing I was able to go up to about 8 or 9 stations.

thanks
Jim
By pressing the FM button repetitively , you'll alternate between two banks of preset stations: 1-4 and 5-8. In the upper bank, button 1 selects station 5, 2->6, 3->7, 4->8. To memorize a station, tune to it using arrows, then press and hold the station button you want it to be recorded as, until you hear a beep.

Last edited by vadim; 07-23-2002 at 06:03 PM.