C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Got my car back today...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2002, 12:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 coupe 6sp
Got my car back today...

Well, they rebuilt the transmission-new syncros and shifting forks, and it still shifts like crap from 1st to 2nd. All the other gears are great, and downshifts from 3rd to 2nd are good too, but damn the 1st to 2nd shift is bad. It feels like an old wore out transmission on that shift only. But the stiff clutch problem seems to be gone now. I guess just from taking it apart and putting it back together. Honestly, I don't have time to mess with this car anymore, so I will probably just trade it on something because I really don't enjoy driving it this way. Mercedes shoots themselves in the foot again. Of course with record sales this year, they probably don't care.
Old 07-24-2002, 01:13 PM

C230K Manny, Albaster White/Oyster Leather/C1/C5/C7/CD
Apart from the shifter what other problem(s) did you have?
Old 07-24-2002, 01:25 PM

C230 coupe 6sp
No other problems except the clutch and the shifter. It was using a lot of oil when it was new, but that seems to be fixing it self as it get more "broke in". They tried to charge me to remove the "no phone" message in the MFD saying it was because I had an aftermarket radio in the car, but I pointed out to them that all these cars have that message when they are new unless the dealer puts the phone in, so they relented and didn't charge me for the change.
Old 07-24-2002, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230 Sports Coupe
sorry to hear about it man, hope it all works out ok for ya. What kind of car you looking at trading it in on?
Old 07-24-2002, 03:55 PM
Almost a Member!

C230K Coupe
Dang, I was hoping to hear good news about your rebuild since I, too, have the bad 1st to 2nd shift. Did the techs say anything about another possible cause? How about having them look into the emissions control unit or perhaps there is a faulty sensor for the CAT temp. After the work, what can you say about the shift if you rev high before second? Does the problem dissapear when the engine is hot? I can understand your frustration, especially since you had to leave it in the shop for such a long time. There has to be someone out there that can FIX this or find a way to contact corporate and submit a complaint.
Old 07-24-2002, 05:18 PM

C230 coupe 6sp
It is always better when it is hot, and always shifts better when you rev it up past 5000rpm, but it is not really any different than before they did the work. If you do have it done, insist they put in a totally new transmission instead of just trying to fix the old one. Another thing would be to get them to change the shifter too. In my mind, the right order to try things is:
1) Change shifter and use a C7 model
2) Change transmission and use original shifter
3) Use C7 shifter on new transmission
If step 1 works, great, it was cheap and easy
If step 2 works, they have isolated a recurring problem and should be happy
If step 3 works, they have at least found a fix for some situations, and made the customer happy.
The thing that bothers me is that I know they drove the car quite a bit, (they gave it back with an empty tank, and the low fuel warning on) so they knew it wasn't fixed. I just don't have the time to do Mercedes testing for them.
Old 07-24-2002, 06:13 PM
Almost a Member!

C230K Coupe
Other than a shorter throw, what other differences exist between a C7 transmission and a standard, non-C7 transmission? I don't understand how this factors in as possible source of the problem. Instead of throwing in the towel, how about going to another dealer? We are able to have the warranty services performed at any MB authorized service center. Sounds to me like the current fellas are stumped. You should mention that you would consider upgrading to an S-class if the new guys do well and you have a loaner this time instead of a rental car. And some extra free oil change coupons. Mine has actually been OK--now that the weather has warmed up. Not looking forward to fall....
Old 07-24-2002, 07:23 PM

C230 coupe 6sp
OK, I pulled out the invoice from the glove comp. to see exactly what they did, and here is the rundown. For the transmission, they replaced the 1st and 2nd gear syncros, and shift fork along with a "line" and "switch" plus some misc seals, bolts, etc.

For the clutch stiffness, they replaced the throwout bearing, and slave cyl, along with a "release lever", and bled the system.

For the oil usage problem, they changed the oil and filter and did a measurement to set it up for an oil consumption test. I have to take it back in 300-400 miles for them to check the oil level.

The clutch stiffness is fixed for those of you with the same problem. It looks like they kind of shotgunned it and replaced everything.
Old 07-24-2002, 07:30 PM

C230 coupe 6sp
dontwakemeup,
Some people with the C7 think it feels more precise in addition to being shorter throw. Plus it may be that your shifter and mine are just defective. I don't really know. But you have to eliminate things one at a time to find out the cause of the problem.
Old 07-24-2002, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by speedfrk
For the oil usage problem, they changed the oil and filter and did a measurement to set it up for an oil consumption test. I have to take it back in 300-400 miles for them to check the oil level.
That's a great trick to get a free oil change.

How much oil are you going to remove to pass their test? I think if you can get rid of a quart that will work.