C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

HID Lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2001, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 C320
Question HID Lights

I am thinking about purchasing the MB xenon headlights lights from autoclass.com and wanted to know if anyone as purchased these lights. If so, were they able to get MB to install them? If MB didn't install them what kind of gotcha did you experience and would you recommend doing this.
Old 11-13-2001, 07:56 PM

2004 E500 4Matic
from what I understand, autoclass is selling factory original xenon systems i.e. the same stuff you get if you order it from the dealer.

If that is true then there shouldn't be any problem with you asking your dealer to install it. (That's what I would do if I didn't feel comfortable installing it myself.) Keep in mind that a dealer has a right to refuse to install anything they didn't sell.

I have installed factory xenon headlights into a BMW and an Audi, and it wasn't too dificult but it took a few hours to do it right. If you think you can do it then give it a shot but if not then have your dealer do it.
Old 11-13-2001, 11:48 PM

call up your dealer

and ask them what the deal is
Old 11-14-2001, 02:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From what I understand of HID, to be legal they have to be self leveling. Does the kit include that feature because that in itself me be a pain to install. What do they charge for all the parts? Is that low beam only or both? I live an congested suburb with way too many street lights so I can't imaging what the Xenon would buy me but they look great and if the price was right I would attempt it.
Old 11-14-2001, 08:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
i asked about HIDs a little while ago.

i was told that even if self-leveling, oem, etc., installing HIDs are illegal. basically, they have to be installed at the factory (not the dealership). hence, a lot of aftermarket HIDs have the "only for offroad use" disclaimer.

autoclass.net told me that they would be receiving HIDs for the C230k late this month for about $800 each.
Old 11-14-2001, 08:34 AM
Almost a Member!

C320 Coupe
Post HID

I talked to my service advisor and he did not recomend installing an aftermarket HIDs. There seems to be a problem with the watege that si being pulled by the standard light bulb (55w or so) and HID only pulls about 20w-25w so the omputer thinks that the light is out, and there might be a problem.
Old 11-14-2001, 11:35 PM

2004 E500 4Matic
Re: HID

Originally posted by Lenny
I talked to my service advisor and he did not recomend installing an aftermarket HIDs. There seems to be a problem with the watege that si being pulled by the standard light bulb (55w or so) and HID only pulls about 20w-25w so the omputer thinks that the light is out, and there might be a problem.
the computer senses a burnt filament by the resistance of the curcuit, not the wattage. I'd say there's a 99.9% chance that the computer wouldn't think the bulb is blown. Although the resistance of the HID ballasts would be different from just a bulb, even if you had a problem the worst that would happen is you get the little indicator light telling you a bulb is out and even then you could bypass this by using a simple resistor from radio shack.

Also, I don't believe that self-leveling is required in the states... only in Europe. My motorcycle has a non-self-leveling xenon headlight which is DOT legal.
Old 11-14-2001, 11:57 PM

black on black 2k2-230k auto/c1/c5/c7/k2c/COMAND/TELEAID/Stage II HIDS
i know most every non factory installed hid is not street legal, but really how many times are you gonna get pulled over for your hids???

in fact, the police need a specific little light gauge to determine if your hids are illegal, and very rarely do they have em in their cruisers.

"sir, do you know your HIDS are too bright"

"no officer i didnt, they came with the car, so i assumed they were fine"

if that doesnt work, pretend your on the way to the hospital cause your wife is having a baby

greg
Old 11-15-2001, 12:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Originally posted by greg230
i know most every non factory installed hid is not street legal, but really how many times are you gonna get pulled over for your hids???

in fact, the police need a specific little light gauge to determine if your hids are illegal, and very rarely do they have em in their cruisers.

"sir, do you know your HIDS are too bright"

"no officer i didnt, they came with the car, so i assumed they were fine"

if that doesnt work, pretend your on the way to the hospital cause your wife is having a baby

greg
How many people do you know (of) or have seen who got pulled over for using their fog lights (offroad only by law!!!) on a highway? I haven't even heard of any such case... Let alone HID, which are legal *stock* and virtually impossible to tell if aftermarket?
Old 11-15-2001, 12:16 AM

C230K
My cousin and I got pulled over in London for driving with the fog lights on in his SLK, but that was London.
Old 11-15-2001, 12:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Re: Re: HID

Originally posted by eddie

the computer senses a burnt filament by the resistance of the curcuit, not the wattage. I'd say there's a 99.9% chance that the computer wouldn't think the bulb is blown. Although the resistance of the HID ballasts would be different from just a bulb, even if you had a problem the worst that would happen is you get the little indicator light telling you a bulb is out and even then you could bypass this by using a simple resistor from radio shack.

Also, I don't believe that self-leveling is required in the states... only in Europe. My motorcycle has a non-self-leveling xenon headlight which is DOT legal.
The computer measures the current running through the filament, not the resistance per se. Lower wattage means lower current, so this may well trigger the alarm circuit.
Re: resistor from Radio Shack - BAD IDEA. Typically, an HID system wattage is in the 30-50 watts range, whereas stock H7 rates at 55W. If you want to install a parallel bypass resistor, it MUST be capable of dissipating a whooping 10-20W (of heat)! Have you ever seen resistors of this wattage? All this heat would stay UNDER the hood, too!
Old 11-15-2001, 12:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Originally posted by Vince
My cousin and I got pulled over in London for driving with the fog lights on in his SLK, but that was London.
Vince, you are the first one that I know of! Here in No. VA they use fog lights all the time, especially SUVs (hate them!)... Not a single case I'm aware of...
Old 11-15-2001, 12:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Lightbulb

Originally posted by Vince
Now, wait a minute... Which London are you talking about?