C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

New problem (air conditioner related) . . .

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-25-2002, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New problem (air conditioner related) . . .

I was driving home from work in about 90 degree weather (been that way for weeks). I had the radio on, the auto air conditioner on, and the recirc on (temp set around 66). Without warning the auto air conditioner and corresponding recirc simply stopped (lights turned off). I pressed both buttons again, and about a minute or two later, they again cut off abruptly. It happened a few more times before they stayed on for the last 10 minutes or so of the ride home. This has never happened before in the exact same situation for the past several months of the summer.

Anyone know what is going on (besides, of course, plans for another visit back to Mercedes)?

CP
Old 07-25-2002, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

it sounds like you may be low on soemthing... i read somewhere that if the computer detects that you are low (on freon I guess)..then it cuts off the ac and won't let u use it till u take it to the dealer and have it looked at....
Old 07-26-2002, 06:32 PM

C230K
From what I can remember, this is normal operation and is temperature dependent.

The aircon light is actually economy mode - if it's on, the aircon is off. (Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought I would respond as few others have...)

The recirculation automatically switches off based on time, so that you don't sufffer from hypoxia. This I definitely remember, because my wife grouched about it a lot. It also has a temperature parameter, below 5C for sure, I cannot remember what the high temp was.
Old 07-29-2002, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Originally posted by raymond
From what I can remember, this is normal operation and is temperature dependent.

The aircon light is actually economy mode - if it's on, the aircon is off. (Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought I would respond as few others have...)

The recirculation automatically switches off based on time, so that you don't sufffer from hypoxia. This I definitely remember, because my wife grouched about it a lot. It also has a temperature parameter, below 5C for sure, I cannot remember what the high temp was.
You're right about the recirc -- I forget how long is will let you keep it activated (30 min?). As for the "auto" light, this is not "economy mode". That is the "ECON" switch/light. Maybe there's a problem w/ the system that is turning "auto" off along w/ recirc if the time limit passed. I'll bet the "auto" light hasn't gone off on its own w/o the recirc shutting off?? BTW, if you're low on freon, "ECON" will light and you can't turn it off. It protects the compressor by refusing to allow it to engage.
Old 07-29-2002, 11:49 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
The manual says that "recirc" will disengage after 30 minutes. Mine doesn't disengage however. I'm not inclined to complain, as I prefer it to run until I turn it off.