C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

good thing they didn't wash it

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 11:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 C230WZ / '01 Honda VFR 800
good thing they didn't wash it

So, I put my 6 month old car in the dealer on Thursday for a couple of minor warranty issues and an oil change. I instructed my service manager not to wash the car because I don't want them to damage the finish by using abrasive cleaning tools. In addition, I left notes on the windows requesting that they do NOT wash my car. (Once, at a different dealer, despite my requesting that they do not wash the car, they washed it with a BRUSH and put horrible swirls in the clear coat!) My last little trick to protect my car's finish was to hand wash the car the evening before I took it in. They are less likely to wash a clean car right?

Anyway, my dealer gave me an MB loaner, addressed all of my warranty issues, and changed my oil for free (the first change is free). Importantly, they did not wash my car! I picked my car up late Friday afternoon drove it directly home and parked it in my driveway.

Well, when I walked out Saturday morning (I'm sure that you see this coming) I noticed the scratches in my bumper where someone hit my car at the dealer. Great... I realize that this was an accident but come on, they had to drive my car a total of 50 yards. Can't they be more careful? It always makes me crazy how they pack the cars in the lot. (Either take in fewer cars or get a bigger lot!) I now know to do a serious walk around before picking up my car at the dealer but it is pretty obvious that they did it. (Again, I hand washed it directly before taking it in, then I drove it directly home, and the scratches are exactly (and only) at trim level which means it was done by a car with the same height trim.

Tomorrow we'll find out how the dealer handles this issue. I want it repaired correctly and I want the paint to match perfectly. Again, I can accept mistakes but I want them to take care of this quickly and without wasting anymore of my time. This is a make or break for the dealer. I'm a new customer and if they handle it right I'll continue to be a customer. If not, they will lose more business than mine. I firmly believe in praising companies that deserve it and letting people know when I am unhappy (That is why I'm not mentioning the dealer's name yet).
Attached Thumbnails good thing they didn't wash it-trimscr.jpg   good thing they didn't wash it-trimscrwd.jpg  
Old 12-19-2005, 12:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A box on 4 wheels
wow that really sucks best of luck to you
Old 12-19-2005, 12:17 AM
Almost a Member!

2005 C230 SS Kompressor
That is sucks... I am surprise that the dealer did not tell you about the damage of your car while in the facility. I guess they were hoping to get away with it. I guess this can be a good lesson for everyone which is to make sure to inspect your car prior to taking the keys back from them...and good luck..
Old 12-19-2005, 12:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 C320wz
sorry to hear about your problem.

that's a bad scratch. It doesn't look like it can be buffed out.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C230SS 6MT, 1966 Triumph TR4a IRS, Shelby Cobra 427 Supercharged
It seems quite a few people here have this problem. Makes me thankful I go to the dealer that I do. When you drop off the car for service, they go over your car with a pad and mark on the picture where there is damage and make a note of it. You then sign off on it and they give it back to you. This way, if there is damage that is on the car when you pick it up, they have no excuse. They also do the same with the loaner car you get.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by mick1
sorry to hear about your problem.

that's a bad scratch. It doesn't look like it can be buffed out.
No buffing on this one. It is deep into the plastic. I'm hoping that they can pull the piece of trim off and replace it. The question is paint match. Generally, body shops will blend paint to get it to match but I do not want them to mess with any other areas as it is just scratched on the trim peice. Hey, I feel if they can't match it they can keep trying until they get it right. I'm glad that it isn't (metal) body damage.

It isn't the end of the world but it is just unnecessary. If I were the dealer, I would own up to it, fix it right away, give me a loaner as they do it (a MB loaner, not a Camry) and credit me an oil change or something (and oh yeah, maybe a half price C55).
Old 12-19-2005, 09:10 AM
Almost a Member!

Jeez man, that really sucks! I hope they handle it well, but watch out, they may try to blame you...

And for some reason on Ferrarichat we're not really 'allowed' to complain about dealer service, or else you don't get a car... especially if you've been on the waiting list for a new V8 for 3 years

Trending Topics

Old 12-19-2005, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
yeah when I pick my car up from the dealer, I inspect my car like if i was to investigate a dead body from a murdur
Old 12-19-2005, 03:20 PM

I talked to my dealer service manager this morning and told her about the issue. She said that she personally did a walk around of my car when I brought it in for service and it was perfect so they will take care of the damage. They have ordered me a new "Impact Strip" (now known as a dealer impact strip to me). She said that they come painted from the factory so the paint sould match perfectly (we'll see about that). I guess we'll know it a week. So far, I'm impressed that she did not question my damage or make excuses for the problem.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C300
That's pretty good that she didn't question it... it's one thing if they f-up.. everyone makes mistakes - but how they fix it is what makes good customer service. (Something it seems most MB dealers are lacking lately)
Old 12-19-2005, 05:30 PM

RE-Agent:

What dealer did you visit? I go to Euro Motorcars in Bethesda and have been less then pleased with them.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:33 PM

04 Crossfire MB 5.0L M113 V8 6spd, 05 Bagged SRT6w/55K AMG V8 ,2016 C300 Sport
they charged me for my first oil change.. Them Punks!!
Old 12-19-2005, 05:36 PM

The first "service" should be free, covered by MBUSA at 3,000-5,000 miles. Not the first oil-change (AKA- Service A), the first service is a once-over of the car, rotating tires (if you don't have a sport sedan/staggered wheels/tires) and checking all fluids.

The first oil-change should be done at Service A.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
ARGH! That sucks to hear man! At least this was just an impact strip and the service manager didn't give you a bunch of bull****. I've had it happen to me too. What the hell is wrong with these dealerships?

good luck on everything!
Old 12-19-2005, 07:11 PM

'05 SS Brillant Silver
Sounds like you made out if they are going to fix it. Most dealers would have said too bad, so sad since you drove off the lot.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo2
The first "service" should be free, covered by MBUSA at 3,000-5,000 miles. Not the first oil-change (AKA- Service A), the first service is a once-over of the car, rotating tires (if you don't have a sport sedan/staggered wheels/tires) and checking all fluids.

The first oil-change should be done at Service A.
My dealer is up in Baltimore is it would be quite a drive from Mclean.
I decided to change the oil early (with Mobil 1). I figured that it wouldn't hurt to do it before it is required. When my invoice and the cashier said "No charge" I found my service manager just to make sure this was correct (I was expecting to pay for the service. The service manager said that they pick up the first oil change. I was pretty impressed until I found the damage. Funny, one of the reasons that I purchased the car from this dealer is that their lot didn't seem to be as much of a "cluster eff" of cars as another dealer that I was considering.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Brabus K3
Originally Posted by RE-Agent
She said that they come painted from the factory so the paint sould match perfectly (we'll see about that).
This is completely true.

If only the trim is affect you are luck it will be exactly the same color of your car.

Best Regards.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:59 AM

Lightbulb I Switched

Originally Posted by Turbo2
RE-Agent:

What dealer did you visit? I go to Euro Motorcars in Bethesda and have been less then pleased with them.
YOU MIGHT TRY THE EUROMOTORS BRANCH IN GERMANTOWN. I LIKE IT MUCH BETTER THAN DOWNTOWN BETHESDA. ALSO THE FIRST TIME YOU TAKE YOUR CAR IN FOR SERVICE THEY GIVE YOU A 20% DISCOUNT.
MY SA IS CHARLES ESTELLE. HE IS A PEACH!