C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Its Done- Home Depot Customized Intake for M271

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 C230SS 6MT, 1966 Triumph TR4a IRS, Shelby Cobra 427 Supercharged
Originally Posted by razorfish228
Take the PVC pipe and make a "Spud Launcher". I've seen these kids make them using the PVC pipe and than shooting potatoes out of them.
Hmm... Look at the pic below! That was my Senior year physics project in HS. Had a lawyer predialed when I went to school with it as this was December of 2001, and at that time here in NY, security was a little hightened!!! Used compressed air up to 125 PSI (safety set to pop at 125, if I had strong enough material I could go up to 3500 PSI). At 90 PSI I shot a spud over 600 feet with a 30 degree launch angle WITH accuracy!
(Save the second image spudgun as "spudgun.swf" its a flash animation I made quickly back in the day!)

As far as the fan goes, it wont work. The engine draws too much air for that to keep up and it will just add to restriction.

-edit- animation wont work... PM me if you want to see the how my design worked...
Attached Thumbnails Its Done- Home Depot Customized Intake for M271-pc050101-small-.jpg  

Last edited by Capt Nemo o2; 01-06-2006 at 10:02 PM.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by johnp
I'd try a speed shop or check out Summit's catalog.I'd also paint the pipe black. Maybe wrinkle paint Nice job
Ditch the PVC entirely. It gives off toxic fumes when heated.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:01 PM

2002 CL203
Originally Posted by dalazernet
Wait.... you guys don't have both intakes connected with hoses? I guess this is something new they did on the 06 engines....

- Eric
On the V6s they have 2 intakes conected.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by DACHIGGA
On the V6s they have 2 intakes conected.
Its always been that way.

Something new? I get a laugh out of this...why would both intake ports be there in the first place?
Old 01-06-2006, 11:36 PM

2002 CL203
Originally Posted by Outland
Its always been that way.

Something new? I get a laugh out of this...why would both intake ports be there in the first place?
I meant to say that he was wrong, v6s have always had 2.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:23 AM

F10
great idea on that pvc, although probably not show quality. i would find a stainless pipe for original ricers and cut those up, heck there's even carbon fiber pipes you can get, anyone?
Old 01-07-2006, 12:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S550
haha nice work, maybe ill take you up on your offer for an intake too.... im in bklyn as well
Old 01-07-2006, 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 171 Likes on 155 Posts
99 E320
Originally Posted by RedW203
great idea on that pvc, although probably not show quality. i would find a stainless pipe for original ricers and cut those up, heck there's even carbon fiber pipes you can get, anyone?
Just do the poser thang...since this mod isn't that big a deal - wrap
with blanket and then find a carbon fiber sheet and wrap for looks.
Old 01-07-2006, 05:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by StillKickin
So after the huge Intake thread and many debates I finally replaced the stock cloth hose with a PVC pipe, took out the baffles in the airbox and put in the K&N Filter. The Results? Minimal, which was sort of expected. There is a sound difference a sort of whoosh and more noticable SC whine, the engine sounds a little raspier. The difference is more noticable past 40 MPH and best at about 60, my guess is proving that the PVC pipe has a sort of short ram effect. Im still brainstorming on how to efficiently connect that second intake scoop, or just rob that big *** scoop from my friends Subaru STI, that would be cool too, I was thinking maybe connecting the box directly to the scoop thats closer but that would take a little more cutting. The project was very simple and didnt take too long. I have ALOT of left over PVC pipe if anybody in the NYC area wants, Home Depot made me buy the whole damn 10 foot pipe just to get a small piece. So far Ive put about 35 miles on the car with this new set up. I really dont know how much of the changes are just in my head, but it seems like a harmless thing, and it doesnt look AS ghetto as I thought. Im going to get some real nice looking clamps made for those ricers soon as i man up to spend 50 bucks on just those, and any idea where i can get couplers made for a car and not drainage?

Leave that other air intake alone. The distance, slope and diameter are aimed at keeping large puddles out of the engine. Unless you think its cool to rebuild your engine out of your own pocket.
Old 01-07-2006, 06:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C320 Sport Sedan 4MATIC, Cayenne S, Bayliner Capri V8, Subaru STi

I have ALOT of left over PVC pipe if anybody in the NYC area wants, Home Depot made me buy the whole damn 10 foot pipe just to get a small piece. and any idea where i can get couplers made for a car and not drainage?

i'm at the other side of the river

we are short 5-7 feet of pvc pipes

let's meet
Old 01-07-2006, 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by Capt Nemo o2
Hmm... Look at the pic below! That was my Senior year physics project in HS. Had a lawyer predialed when I went to school with it as this was December of 2001, and at that time here in NY, security was a little hightened!!! Used compressed air up to 125 PSI (safety set to pop at 125, if I had strong enough material I could go up to 3500 PSI). At 90 PSI I shot a spud over 600 feet with a 30 degree launch angle WITH accuracy!
(Save the second image spudgun as "spudgun.swf" its a flash animation I made quickly back in the day!)

As far as the fan goes, it wont work. The engine draws too much air for that to keep up and it will just add to restriction.

-edit- animation wont work... PM me if you want to see the how my design worked...
You MUST bring that device to the Northeast AMGFest this summer!
Old 01-07-2006, 09:50 AM

Mine 2005 C230 Kompressor, Dad's 2005 ML350
Originally Posted by benzmodz
Leave that other air intake alone. The distance, slope and diameter are aimed at keeping large puddles out of the engine. Unless you think its cool to rebuild your engine out of your own pocket.
But the V6 uses both of them...is it more high risk than the I4?
Old 01-07-2006, 12:03 PM

BMW 135i
does it give more horse power?
Old 01-07-2006, 12:24 PM

BMW 135i
But the V6 uses both of them...is it more high risk than the I4?

lets meet up i need a peice of that pvc im from new york wonder how its oging to sound with my eisnamann racing exuahst and my k&n airfilter im puting on next week
Old 01-07-2006, 12:48 PM

04 C320 Coupe MT
Has anyone come up with numbers supporting this supposed improvement? I'm not trying to sound like a pessimist, however a lot of thought went into the stock configuration, and replacing it with something from the hardware store just makes me wonder.

Are there any hard numbers as to what the intake temp was before and after the mod? From my own side, I've wondered about the intake tubes on the 112 engine in my C, but how long is the air in the tube as it's passing through and can heat soak really occur?

I'm not trying to be negative, it's just that in my own case I really try to avoid the "placebo" effect of "hey, I spent X number of dollars on a mod and now my car feels faster!"
Old 01-07-2006, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by mbbodytech
Has anyone come up with numbers supporting this supposed improvement? I'm not trying to sound like a pessimist, however a lot of thought went into the stock configuration, and replacing it with something from the hardware store just makes me wonder.

Are there any hard numbers as to what the intake temp was before and after the mod? From my own side, I've wondered about the intake tubes on the 112 engine in my C, but how long is the air in the tube as it's passing through and can heat soak really occur?

I'm not trying to be negative, it's just that in my own case I really try to avoid the "placebo" effect of "hey, I spent X number of dollars on a mod and now my car feels faster!"
If I knew where to Dyno cheap I would. I myself am trying not to let any placebo effect occur, in fact the mod is extremely cheap. Realistically I was going for sound gains with no loss to performance not an increase in performance. If any occured regarding both sound AND performance it is very minimal. My other reason for doing it is though it has been discussed I dont think anyone actually did it so it was worth a try.

UPDATE- Im taking out the PVC, I bought a piece of exhaust pipe and some heat-wrap I think Im going to go with changing out the PVC with the metal pipe and heat wrap. I doubt theres going to be a difference but once again Im just experimenting.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
[QUOTE=mbbodytech]Has anyone come up with numbers supporting this supposed improvement? I'm not trying to sound like a pessimist, however a lot of thought went into the stock configuration, and replacing it with something from the hardware store just makes me wonder.

Are there any hard numbers as to what the intake temp was before and after the mod? From my own side, I've wondered about the intake tubes on the 112 engine in my C, but how long is the air in the tube as it's passing through and can heat soak really occur?QUOTE]

No one ever has numbers. I think it's more a personal feeling of accomplishment removing something stock and replacing it with something of equal or lesser efficiency that you've made yourself Some also believe it adds to the esthetic look and sound of the engine. Modding is art....right? And yes, the ambient air temperature to your 112 engine is increased before it reaches it's destination but how much is another question. I doubt enough to make a measurable difference. The only way to reduce it would be to chill the incoming air or reroute it through holes in your hood directly on top of the filters.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by c230 o5
lets meet up i need a peice of that pvc im from new york wonder how its oging to sound with my eisnamann racing exuahst and my k&n airfilter im puting on next week
I have no problem meeting up and showin you how I did everything, but keep in mind that gains are minimal if at all. I also have the tool for openin the airbox. I got the IM and Ill answer soon as I see you online next time. Where in BK are you?
Old 01-07-2006, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C230SS 6MT, 1966 Triumph TR4a IRS, Shelby Cobra 427 Supercharged
Originally Posted by C43AMG
You MUST bring that device to the Northeast AMGFest this summer!
I will try, it sat for so long, I think the rubber seals seized. Ill try my best to get it open and fix it up. Also hopefully it will fit in my car!!!
Old 01-07-2006, 05:48 PM

So I switched the PVC with a piece of 3" exhaust pipe and heat wrapped it. Im having a lil difficulty with the plastic piece at the airbox because of the limited flexibilty of the metal pipe. Sound and performance no difference.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
excites your girlfriend
So I switched the PVC with a piece of 3" exhaust pipe and heat wrapped it. Im having a lil difficulty with the plastic piece at the airbox because of the limited flexibilty of the metal pipe. Sound and performance no difference.
nice! pics?
Old 01-08-2006, 03:42 AM

Pics coming tommorow. And after tonites little drive on the FDR and BQE Im almost positive the top end is getting more power, pulls alot harder past 65-70, took it to 100 and it kept pulling, Ill have to get on I-80 to do the 120+ test. I really do wish someone would tell me a place that would let me do a friendly dyno.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVE
Pics coming tommorow. And after tonites little drive on the FDR and BQE Im almost positive the top end is getting more power, pulls alot harder past 65-70, took it to 100 and it kept pulling, Ill have to get on I-80 to do the 120+ test. I really do wish someone would tell me a place that would let me do a friendly dyno.
I was thinking to maybe adapt a section of the stock intake cloth underneath the exhaust pipe just to make sure rain goes somewhere other than your intake, unless your completely confident the K&N can do that for you..?

flip
Old 01-08-2006, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by mig888
I was thinking to maybe adapt a section of the stock intake cloth underneath the exhaust pipe just to make sure rain goes somewhere other than your intake, unless your completely confident the K&N can do that for you..?

flip
I think if Im goin fast enough the water will go in no matter what, otherwise the whole right side of the airbox is open to allow things to come out and I have some confidence in that K&N filter. That and theres the bends in how it goes from the left to the right, I dont think the water drops would have enough to get all the way through everything including the filter, thats one of the reasons I didnt go straight from the second scoop to the airbox even though its shorter and straighter.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:03 PM

a word of caution

I just wanted to interject with a word of advice on the replacement pipes being shown here. The primary reason for the cloth hose is to have a flexible coupling between the fixed component, ie the scoop mounted on the cross-member behind the grill, and the airbox which experiences considerable small amplitude motion. The airbox is mounted to the engine, and, therefore, shifts rotationally as the engine is revved and experiences vibrational motion along all three axes at idle rpm. Having a rigid PVC or aluminium coupling can result in damage to the airbox/filter housing. The cloth is a better design than than the accordian style rubber or plastic hoses other manufacturers use, but it is imperative to have a flexible attachment between the two components.

Last edited by Nostromo; 01-08-2006 at 12:06 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Its Done- Home Depot Customized Intake for M271