C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Its Done- Home Depot Customized Intake for M271

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BLACK 05 C230SS
Originally Posted by StillKickin
I think if Im goin fast enough the water will go in no matter what, otherwise the whole right side of the airbox is open to allow things to come out and I have some confidence in that K&N filter. That and theres the bends in how it goes from the left to the right, I dont think the water drops would have enough to get all the way through everything including the filter, thats one of the reasons I didnt go straight from the second scoop to the airbox even though its shorter and straighter.
Hey StillKickin,

I was over at "PEPBOYS" and over in the performance section they have all sorts of universal intake pipes, connectors, and a accordian type of flex chrome hose with connectors that look pretty good. So if you like to venture out to other types of parts to use, go to PepBoys Auto store. There's a section on Jap car performance parts that has this stuff.

Good Luck!
Old 01-08-2006, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C320 Sport Sedan 4MATIC, Cayenne S, Bayliner Capri V8, Subaru STi
from pepboys.com

Intake tube: air intake tube; 3.5 x 15; universal
Styles: 2890

$32.35

Link
Old 01-08-2006, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A box on 4 wheels
Originally Posted by Bing
from pepboys.com

Intake tube: air intake tube; 3.5 x 15; universal
Styles: 2890

$32.35

Link
Thanks for the info. I'll start experimenting myself.
Old 01-09-2006, 02:39 AM

Mine 2005 C230 Kompressor, Dad's 2005 ML350
Big thanks on the info guys, Ill stop by over there, maybe change the whole setup again, although I dont think my heatwrapped exhaust pipe is any worse than the intake pipe they offer.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:50 PM
Almost a Member!

Pics coming tommorow. And after tonites little drive on the FDR and BQE Im almost positive the top end is getting more power, pulls alot harder past 65-70, took it to 100 and it kept pulling, Ill have to get on I-80 to do the 120+ test. I really do wish someone would tell me a place that would let me do a friendly dyno.
For the Dyno: Unless you have an electric leafblower blowing a 100mph draft into that intake you won't see any of the ram-air effects of the improved setup that you see on the street. The smaller gains you would see is from the improved laminar flow of the smooth tube.

Ditto on not opening up the second port. Its a bad idea all around. But not as bad as putting an exposed open cone in the bay and sucking up all the hot air.

The factory already built in a large drainage for the water in the airbox. Check out the bottom of the airbox - can you see where all the water goes? It probably hurts performance a little (by losing pressure) but its a good safety.

If you are really worried about the flex issue just buy a flexible silicone coupling with the bulged out center flex piece - its made to be flexible. I still don't think its that big an issue though.

Glad you noticed some high speed gains - although at 70-120 mph even the most cynical of users on here would doubt the benefits of a solid smooth pipe versus a cloth pipe for HP gains.

To the M111/V6 users, our stock intake is VERY different from yours - you need to take a good look at the M271 intake to see what is going on here.

If you can keep your foot off the gas for a tank or two report your gas milage. The highway milage might pick up 1-2 mpg or so.

Last edited by Young Doc; 01-12-2006 at 09:54 PM.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:21 AM

2005 C230K
What is the diameter of the PVC pipe? I'm thinking about doing the same also but with one of those universals from Pepboys.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:22 PM

It was 3" PVC pipe now its 3" exhaust pipe. Flexibilty isnt a big issue even with my rigid setup. I am trying to drive more calmly to see any economy gains but most of my driving is city so I cant really tell. Ill try and give a report on that next time I go to the Poconos. I usually manage an average of 30 MPG according to the computer. The most Ive ever gotten was 31. Either way this modification gives minimal gains in both sound and performance and is probably not really worth doing. I would assume people with Pulley kits would be better off doing this modification then people with unmodded engines because of the need for more air but I could be wrong. Either way Im positive the airflow is better and the air kept cooler because it is heatwrapped.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
excites your girlfriend
It was 3" PVC pipe now its 3" exhaust pipe. Flexibilty isnt a big issue even with my rigid setup. I am trying to drive more calmly to see any economy gains but most of my driving is city so I cant really tell. Ill try and give a report on that next time I go to the Poconos. I usually manage an average of 30 MPG according to the computer. The most Ive ever gotten was 31.
is your car auto or 6 speed?
Old 01-14-2006, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by ctC230K
is your car auto or 6 speed?
Auto....prolly the biggest mistake I made when getting this car, next ones gunna be a 350 on stick
Old 01-15-2006, 07:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
10' GLK
That's a cool experiment. Actually, I had this same exact idea a year ago (when my gf got her 05 coupe). But I was gonna get some stainless steel 3" or 3.5" pipes measuring 12" long. However, I never get around to do it.

Any input?
-- Cut the stock nylon/cloth flexible pipe, and use it as the couplings to attach the stainless steel 3" pipe.

e.g. Stock Cloth pipe -- 12" x 3" stainless steel pipe-- Stock cloth pipe -- Intake box.

*Cut stock cloth to counter the engine vibration.
*Stainless steel pipe to prevent melting and heat. Probably louder intake sound level.

Anyways, good luck !
Old 01-15-2006, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by Nostromo
I just wanted to interject with a word of advice on the replacement pipes being shown here. The primary reason for the cloth hose is to have a flexible coupling between the fixed component, ie the scoop mounted on the cross-member behind the grill, and the airbox which experiences considerable small amplitude motion. The airbox is mounted to the engine, and, therefore, shifts rotationally as the engine is revved and experiences vibrational motion along all three axes at idle rpm. Having a rigid PVC or aluminium coupling can result in damage to the airbox/filter housing. The cloth is a better design than than the accordian style rubber or plastic hoses other manufacturers use, but it is imperative to have a flexible attachment between the two components.
You're a junior member, so would you mind giving some credentials? No offense, but after all the threads that have been posted about doing this particular mod, it's interesting to see a new person pop up and make a statement like this.

You sound like an MB-tech that knows something about this engine. Yes/no?
Old 01-15-2006, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
SillKickin',

Congrats on being the first to have the ***** to try something Much props for that. As far as I know, you're the first (with pics) to do this. Hopefully you can find a generous shop to get you a dyno run for cheap or even better, free!

Good luck with it!
Old 01-15-2006, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by drexappeal
SillKickin',

Congrats on being the first to have the ***** to try something Much props for that. As far as I know, you're the first (with pics) to do this. Hopefully you can find a generous shop to get you a dyno run for cheap or even better, free!

Good luck with it!

I was wondering when youd see this since you were real active in the original discussions about all this nonsense.
By the way for all the fears of rain Ive driven in the rain twice already, yesturday was real bad those in NY know it, so far so good even with the rigid pipe I hope not to jynx it all and not just low speeds, 60-65 on the highway.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

I was wondering when youd see this since you were real active in the original discussions about all this nonsense.
By the way for all the fears of rain Ive driven in the rain twice already, yesturday was real bad those in NY know it, so far so good even with the rigid pipe I hope not to jynx it all and not just low speeds, 60-65 on the highway.
I wouldn't worry about the rain too much. From where the intake sits behind the grille, it's not in a position where the intake will suck up water unless it is directed straight into the grille towards the intake.

For the most part, any water that would come near the intake hold (i.e. drops) would dissapate before it could get anywhere close to harming the engine.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:47 PM

AMG GTS
say...do you guys notice that on the airbox holding the air filter there's like a electricity hazard warning....while changing the air filter, has anybody encounted any problems? (shocked, etc.)
Old 01-30-2006, 03:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is SOLD
what's the length of the piping you used?
Old 01-30-2006, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by white_w203
what's the length of the piping you used?

Cant honestly say something around 10 inches and a roll of heatwrap, I didnt take any precision measurements just kinda eyeballed it and checked if it fit.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is SOLD
just to double check the piping diameter is 3 inches or 3.5 inches? thanks for all the help. working on the project as we speak.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

StillKickin',

Any updates on this for us?

Actually, that's not the only reason I bumped this thread. I was talking with my cousin who owns an EVO VIII MR and he mentioned how a few of the EVO owners are running with the airbox cover off and the filter exposed (filter is held down by chicken wire and/or rubber bands) and supposedly showed some big gains. I know that doesn't sound like a "pretty" way of doing things, but if it proves to be reliable and shows gains, it's just another idea.

I know some people on the boards here own EVO's also, so hopefully some of you can interject some knowledge too. Now, for those of you who are more knowledgable about the possibilities of gains through the intake, do you think the same effect could work for M271 (230, 200, 180) owners without major problems?
Old 03-11-2006, 08:47 AM
Almost a Member!

2002 MB C230 Kompressor
this whole thread is kinda baloney..... sorry to be a dick here, but the couplers are cheesy, hose clamps cheap, and the pvc is horrid, noticable, and easily identifyable.....

...taking the grooves out of the top of the airbox did so absolutely nothing i wouldnt be surprised if the bad karma might cause it to be detrimental! :-P

now dont take me as being a haughty ***** here- i highly applaud any and all creative ways to squeeze horsepower- especially those that REALLY think outside the box and go the extra mile.....but with this setup, i just really feel like you missed the mark. i honestly do hate to be such a downer but i feel that your creativity is positive yet.....needs direction.

and yet i'm no kung fu germun car master- i'll gladly be taught and rediculed for my goofy theories by any who knows more, as long as good intentions are expressed.
Old 03-11-2006, 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2002 C230K, 2013 BMW 328, 2015 BMW X5
Effort is everything

Originally Posted by madfast
this whole thread is kinda baloney..... sorry to be a dick here, but the couplers are cheesy, hose clamps cheap, and the pvc is horrid, noticable, and easily identifyable.....

...taking the grooves out of the top of the airbox did so absolutely nothing i wouldnt be surprised if the bad karma might cause it to be detrimental! :-P

now dont take me as being a haughty ***** here- i highly applaud any and all creative ways to squeeze horsepower- especially those that REALLY think outside the box and go the extra mile.....but with this setup, i just really feel like you missed the mark. i honestly do hate to be such a downer but i feel that your creativity is positive yet.....needs direction.

and yet i'm no kung fu germun car master- i'll gladly be taught and rediculed for my goofy theories by any who knows more, as long as good intentions are expressed.
Effort, is in now way a bad thing. Point will be to get some real numbers in effect. As in a dyno, or repeat runs on a 1/4 mile. One of the best things about this board is that the guys here don't take to BS talk. Numbers do the talking. YOu may feel he missed YOUR mark....Can YOU provide him with direction?!

Now, as for being a "haughty" *****, I seem to remember you making a comment about us C230 guys as a bunch of unkowing wanna bees with more money than brains?? It was something along those lines. I could care less to look up your thread where you posted that comment.

You can have the last word, I won't be commenting on anything you say in the future.

Ed
Old 03-12-2006, 08:11 AM
Almost a Member!

2002 MB C230 Kompressor
Originally Posted by emrliquidlife
Effort, is in now way a bad thing. Point will be to get some real numbers in effect. As in a dyno, or repeat runs on a 1/4 mile. One of the best things about this board is that the guys here don't take to BS talk. Numbers do the talking. YOu may feel he missed YOUR mark....Can YOU provide him with direction?!

Now, as for being a "haughty" *****, I seem to remember you making a comment about us C230 guys as a bunch of unkowing wanna bees with more money than brains?? It was something along those lines. I could care less to look up your thread where you posted that comment.

You can have the last word, I won't be commenting on anything you say in the future.

Ed
i wasnt then or now looking for an arguement- what i said was simply an observation, and yes it was blunt and not nice, but i saw many knowledgeable car guru's on a website of nearly obsolete cars ( www.z31.com ) ......these are performance oriented cars, i just figured there would be MORE (not saying there isnt many knowledgeable guys here now) guru's and intelligent talk......i think i'm coming off a lot more crass than i intend.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:05 PM

I agree with madfast the the PVC setup I did was hideous, I apologize for not posting pics of the heatwrapped metal pipe yet. I was simply experimenting with an idea that was thrown around but not tried, I didnt say I gained much from it, if ANY gain it would be a little more power in the high end and at speed, might just be my imagination. However I do wish there was something pre-fabricated and nice and fitting both looks and gains wise for a Benz and not the setup I have which belongs on my grandpas 12 year old Lumina.

Drex- I dont know what the engine bay of the evo looks like, however that sounds like an easy way to soak up ALOT of heat coming from the SC in our engines, at least according to all the forum reading I did before I tried this. That having been said I think wed get better results removing the airbox and custom fitting a CAI with a heatshield but I cant say where Id run it to so water doesnt get to it. So while it might work for an Evo all my earlier research says thatll decrease power for the M271. But thanks for the heads up, Ill ask my friends friend, hes got an STI but his friend just got the new Evo. Those things are absurdly fast and relatively cheap, too bad they feel like tin cans with big engines.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVE
I agree with madfast the the PVC setup I did was hideous, I apologize for not posting pics of the heatwrapped metal pipe yet. I was simply experimenting with an idea that was thrown around but not tried, I didnt say I gained much from it, if ANY gain it would be a little more power in the high end and at speed, might just be my imagination. However I do wish there was something pre-fabricated and nice and fitting both looks and gains wise for a Benz and not the setup I have which belongs on my grandpas 12 year old Lumina.

Drex- I dont know what the engine bay of the evo looks like, however that sounds like an easy way to soak up ALOT of heat coming from the SC in our engines, at least according to all the forum reading I did before I tried this. That having been said I think wed get better results removing the airbox and custom fitting a CAI with a heatshield but I cant say where Id run it to so water doesnt get to it. So while it might work for an Evo all my earlier research says thatll decrease power for the M271. But thanks for the heads up, Ill ask my friends friend, hes got an STI but his friend just got the new Evo. Those things are absurdly fast and relatively cheap, too bad they feel like tin cans with big engines.
Originally Posted by mig888
I'd probably try something with stainless steel maybe w/ a brushed aluminum look. I'll see what I can dig up.

flip
Didn't go with stainless :\.

flip

Last edited by mig888; 03-13-2006 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 A4 S Line
Jose, let me know when you get your hands on another one of those pipes with that silly checkerboard pattern.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Its Done- Home Depot Customized Intake for M271