C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Used C Class Wagons

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Used C Class Wagons

Greetings...I am a newbie to this forum and also to Mercedes in general. I am looking to possibly buy a C Class wagon and would like some advice. What are the fundamental differences between the C240 and C320? Opinions on 4Matic? This car would be for my wife, so I would like the piece of mind that comes with the 4Matic, but do not know if it is a maintenance concern? Is it much better than the winter mode traction control that is standard? Is it a maintenance time bomb waiting to go off? One of my main questions is with regard to folding side mirrors. We have an extremely narrow driveway passage along the side of our house and folding side mirrors are an absolute necessity. Currently, we have to roll down the window and reach over and manually fold each mirror. At the very least, we need to have a car that at least offers us this much (I seem to recall reading that some models do not have mirrors that fold at all?). If we can get a car that has an electric push-button control to fold the mirrors remotely from inside the cabin, it would be really wonderful. I have searched the forums and see that there are apparently some cars that have this option and others that do not. Please advise which have it and which don't. Was this option available in certain model years? What do I need to look for to find cars with this feature? Is there an easy way to tell (for instance...do I need to have memory seats to get this feature?)?
Any additional general opinions or feedback you can provide on the C Class wagons would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance.
Old 01-20-2006, 06:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 G63 AMG, 2019 G550
The C320 has a larger engine and more standard options than the C240, i.e. a memory button for the power seats to name a few. The folding mirrors are an option that you can add to your car. The car will come up for service every 10k miles ranging from $250-$450 dollars (depending on whether it will be Service A or B. I have a C240 and I love it, I have every option but heated seats and the nav system. Take it to the dealer and have it inspected before you purchase it.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:36 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 c240 wagon
4matic is really good for snow/ice

I agree 100% with c240-merc on his comments.

I have had very good luck with my used wagon. The 4matic is the best feature for me because I drive in snow 6-8 months of the year (I drive it in W mode during the winter months - C mode on newer models). Today it is around 3 degrees F but incredibly slick. I have had the ESP light go off just once while driving around town.

My wife called me to let me know that she did a full 360 in her Sequoia while it was in 4WD and while turning at less than 15mph. So the 4matic is much better than her traction control when the road conditions are slick. I'm actually looking at the GL if adding studded tires to her car doesn't do the trick.

If you drive in snow, I highly recommend using Nokian Hakkapeliita 4s for studded tires. If you can't have studs by law, there are several very good studless tires on the market.

The only item that I wish was different is that I wish there was more leg room in the back seat. This works well for me now since both of my children are young, but in another 5 years, it may be an issue.

The engine seems rock solid. If you are going to have problems, it will most likely be either electrical or having the radiator fluid flood the transmission (lots of threads on this one if you search). Other than that, the car is a joy to own. I get 18 mpg on average, but I do most of my driving in the city.

I hope this helps you make an informed decision. Good luck
Old 01-20-2006, 09:25 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 c240 wagon
Picture of folding W203 mirror

Picture (from Steve at MBENZNL) of folding W203 mirror
Attached Thumbnails Used C Class Wagons-203fold1.jpg  

Last edited by AK*S203*owner; 01-20-2006 at 09:28 PM.
Old 01-21-2006, 01:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
The C wagon is a pure pleasure to drive. There is no difference in the size of the engine in the 240 and 320. They are made from basically the same castings, but the 320 has a larger displacement that equates to more zip. Unless your wife's name is Danica, I don't think she would care. I live in SoCAl so all wheel drive is little more than a badge on the back here. If you don't do serious off-road travel (25 miles or more, once a month or more) I'd consider it really unnecessary. The AWD system uses Chrysler developed New Process technology and is very reliable. I go to my Big Bear house in the winter, and have no issues with 2WD and snow. The factory ski rack is a joy.
Folding mirrors are handy, but don't reduce the overall width much. I wish my car had them just for the gee-whiz, if nothing else. The car is rather narrow, so it fits in tight spots well. It has a very small turning radius, which is nifty for U turns on narrow roads.

In 2005 they did an interior facelift with clear lens headlights. The look is quite stunning over the prior years. Mercedes cars suffered from quality problems, especially electrical, through the 2004 model year. At the start of 2004, the Chairman cleaned house at Mercedes, placing an engineer in charge, and warranty claims have plummeted. My car has had only two problems, foggy foglights and a bad siren.

The stock audio system is fine unless you enjoy thumping the guy three cars in front of you. There is a premium audio system that is invisible, but adds a subwoofer, an amplifier, and a microphone that adjusts the volume depending on interior ambient noise. The mic is in the headliner above the passengers head which is perfect placement, the louder she gets, so does the Metallica. (just kidding, ladies)

Now the back seat is a bit tight, but my 6' 4" son had no problem back there on a five hour jump to Vegas.

The auto dim mirrors, and auto wipers are cool in the sunroof package.

For the 2005 model you can add a jack for connecting your Ipod, and an integrated factory Sirius receiver.

2005 ony has a 240 engine, but the stock wheels are exclusive and very cool.

C wagons are more rare, so you won"t see yourself coming and going. Everyone also thinks you paid much, much more than you did.

Look for a certified vehicle, and buy as much extended warranty as they will sell you.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Moviela
Unless your wife's name is Danica, I don't think she would care.
That would make him Paul Hospenthal. Welcome to the forum Paul.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:24 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
the C wagon kicks ***!

greetingz,