C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

HELP! Broke tubing while changing MAF =(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 07:28 PM
kev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP! Broke tubing while changing MAF =(

I posted this on the tech talk forum, but thought i should give this forum a shot too, since it's a w203 (2001 c240). thanks!!

So I was swapping out my MAF, and in unplugging the cable i hit this thin plastic tube/pipe that goes into the engine. it must have gotten really brittle over the years because the slight nudge from my fingers caused it to snap. i have no idea what this pipe/tubing is, and what kind of damage i've done. i don't think it's a good idea for me to even start the car right now, so if anyone could please help it would put my mind at rest. imagine if your baby was lying unusable in your garage, all hurt!

here's some images, hopefully i can explain.

here's the back of the engine, you can see the MAF sensor. notice the tubing that comes in from the right goes along the top. It then goes under behind the MAF, comes back out the other side, loops over the MAF cable connector and then goes into the engine:

now if you look closer, to where that tube goes into the engine, you'll see that i've broken it:

now first of all, does anyone know what this tube is!? i'm really worried it might be fuel-related.

secondly, am i going to be safe duct taping it, or hot glueing it back together temporarily -- to make the 10 miles or so to the dealer?

and thirdly, is this a tube i can replace myself if i get the correct part from the dealer? the only reason i ask is because i know if i go to the dealer to have them fix it my service representative guy is going to be condescending and yell at me for having tried to fix a Mercedes myself. i know i f-ed up, and i've been f-ing depressed all day about it, but it's not because i wasn't taking care. it's not like i banged it about with a wrench or something. it was the slightest tap of my fingers.

please if anyone can help, i'd really appreciate it. my car's completely grounded til i can figure out what to do.

thanks!!

-kev
Old 01-22-2006, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Its a vac line. You'll live, you can stop crying now. The fitting broke. You'll need some angled needle nose pliers, a new fitting, and some small hands. 49 cent part with any other company....will probably cost 20 times that for an MB.

Pull the broken off part out of the inlet first, warm up the hose with a hair dryer before you try to remove the rest of the fitting on that end. Have fun.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:57 PM
kev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Outland
You'll live, you can stop crying now.
Haha. Thanks dude. So if I go to the dealer and ask for what, a "vacuum line coupler"? a "vacuum line plastic connector thingamajig"?

And am i safe with some duct tape then until I get there?
Old 01-22-2006, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by kev
Haha. Thanks dude. So if I go to the dealer and ask for what, a "vacuum line coupler"? a "vacuum line plastic connector thingamajig"?

And am i safe with some duct tape then until I get there?
It may not run right with a vac leak. Likely will throw some codes. Make some calls, and ask a friend to drive you over there after you remove the remains of the original.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:09 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
lol, thats not the vacuum supply for the brake booster is it ?