C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Prospective C280 4-Matic Buyer Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 12:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro
Prospective C280 4-Matic Buyer Questions

I am an 03 Audi A4 1.8T owner looking to change cars. I have been very happy with my A4, and I am also considering the new A4 2.0T. I am yet to drive the MB but plan to this weekend.

I plan to get Black ext, black int, sunroof package, 6 disc changer, heated front seats(?), Power drivers seat, Split rear seats.

Am I missing anything?

Owners of this model seem a little think on the ground, I'd like to hear experiences if you have one.

I have a few questions I hope you can answer:

1: Does anyone have a picture of the car with the factory offered spoiler?

2: I have read mixed opinions on the h/k stereo, I'd love to hear more.

3: The MB site lists heated seats as an option for the C280 non 4Matic, but not for the 4Matic version. Is that correct?

4: The specs say that the front armrest is height adjustable. But I can't see how from the images. Can anyone clarify?

5: What is the difference between getting the full leather and the leather inserts?

6: From what I read you cannot "random play" across all discs in the CD changer, is that correct?

7:I plan on getting the iPod integration, I understand the parts are about $300 but is it true they will charge $200+ to install?

8: What is your estimate on how much service will cost over 4 years (Audi provides this in the cost of the car)

9: If you don't get the split rear seat options the rear seat does not fold at all, correct?

10: I read a lot of people getting very close to invoice. Is it reasonable for me to use $1000 over invoice as a guide?

Thanks for any answers you can provide.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 C350 4MATIC
4Matic

I have the same car, same colors, same options but in a '350. The armrest really does not adjust upwards and downards. It hinges at the back and can angle upward or downward. So technically it's "adjustable" but not really comfortable in most settings.

I have around 6000 miles on my car and I haven't had a crippiling road problem with it yet. Occasionally the HK amplifier doesn't boot properly and it takes a restart of the car to un-confuse it. The navigation DVD occasionally needs to be reseated for the system to read it and I get an occasional "check oil at next service station" light (there is nothing wrong with the oil. the dealer said that it needs some computer adjusting when I go in for my A service).
Old 01-31-2006, 11:40 AM

Sounds like MB has a little bit of a quality control problem, but you still love your car?

How often does the oil need to be changed?
Old 02-01-2006, 10:59 AM

Just wanted to bump this to see if I could get any more help.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:26 PM

I just thought I'd follow up with where I am on my purchasing decision.

In my research I have driven A4 2.0T Q, C280 4MATIC, G35x, IS250AWD, 325xi and I have to say the interior of the C280 was the least pleasing. It just didn't feel very luxury or very modern in the cabin. Some of the knobs and stalks were just not to my taste and seemed like they would feel more at home on a Ford, to be fair these same parts were also on the E class car in the showroom.

As for the drive it wasn't anywhere near the 325xi regarding handling and performance, and it was not as comfortable as the IS250AWD. I went to the dealership with the C280 at the top of my list based on the way it looks externally and the excellent iPod integration that is available. Unfortunately I was very dissapointed all round.

By the way the very first thing the salesguy said to me after the test drive was "I can give you an C on the lot for $500 over invoice." While I appreciate the good price it is not the best way to make me feel like this is a high demand car.

Basically the C is off my list (The 3 series is as well by the way but for other reasons).

This is not intended as a slight to those of you that love your cars, there was a woman in the showroom with me telling the salesguy how much better she felt in the C than the 3-series, so different strokes and all.

And thanks for all the help you guys have provided.