C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

BOV on C-Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2002, 11:49 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Originally posted by MB-BOB
Sure, Groucho! Where's the joke forum?
Think we'd have to find a moderator with a sense of humor first.
Old 08-02-2002, 11:50 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Originally posted by revstriker
Just ordered one for the Graco Metro Lite. It'll sound great as we walk though the mall!! :p
LOL! You're exactly right. It'll be just the ticket to part the throngs at the Mall during the Christmas rush. Then, you can buy 18" chromies for that carriage at a HUGE discount during the January White sales...
Old 08-02-2002, 11:50 AM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
Originally posted by tommy

Think we'd have to find a moderator with a sense of humor first.
Hey, no comments from the peanut gallery!

I'm surprised you didn't ask me if I knew Groucho Marx personally, being that I'm ancient, and all that.

(Yes, that's a straight line, freely offered. So be gentle. )

Last edited by MB-BOB; 08-02-2002 at 11:53 AM.
Old 08-02-2002, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did anyone notice that the NA Blow Off Valve comes in Kleemann pink? Coincidence? I don't think so.
Old 08-02-2002, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230 K
Originally posted by vyse
Not doubting any of your technical knowledge, but Vortech has a centrifugal supercharger for the Civic SiR and it includes a bypass valve.
A centrifugal supercharger is most similar in overall design (with regard to flow dynamics) to a turbocharger. It essentially acts as a high-speed fan, and under certain conditions air can flow backward through the compressor when the throttle is snapped shut. It therefore requires a bypass valve to prevent compressor surge. This doesn't occur with a fixed-displacement supercharger - such as the roots type (C230K) or twin screw type (C32) - where air can only flow one direction.

Cheers, BT
Old 08-02-2002, 01:04 PM

C32 AMG
Originally posted by Buellwinkle
This will help TB2 with his BOV needs. Dont' be embarrased TB2, some people spend thousands for aero kits that don't do anything but look good or chrome, so what's a few hundred to have the only BOV on a C230.

http://www.takakaira.com/php/template.php3?id=163&cat=3
Hey, I actually agree with you. Why can't people understand that if you love something and have the money, not everything you buy has to be functional as long as it makes you happy. I laughed when my dad put a plasma tv in his kitchen, but it makes him happy even if he doesn't cook or even go in that room.
Old 08-02-2002, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think what they need to make is a boost controller for our cars similar to the NA BOV. When you crank it up the speaker would play a louder turbo whine, maybe even amplify the S/C whine using a microphone and speakers. I know they already make a box that plays the sounds of burning rubber. Also what would be great is to record a Ferrari exhaust into a synthesizer and play that based on throttle position and RPM. That would be way cheaper than some of the near $1,000 mufflers out there and net out the same performance and better, more controllable sound.

(It's a joke MB-Bob, don't get your panties in a knot. Here, I'll put some smily faces to help you understand )
Old 08-02-2002, 08:31 PM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
(It's a joke MB-Bob, don't get your panties in a knot. Here, I'll put some smily faces to help you understand )
Buell, I'm completely with you on this one, so no titty-pinchers here, bud.

Now, if you were to say, "Besides, the NA BOV Noisemaker would probably be the most reliable feature of the car, especially when the faulty electronics make it sound off (at rest) during it's frequent hiatuses at the dealer service department..." well, then I might get tense...

BTW, I'm on board with (and quoted) your remarks on the "supercharger" thread, too. Just shows we can agree on some threads and disagree on others.

Last edited by MB-BOB; 08-02-2002 at 08:37 PM.
Old 08-02-2002, 09:03 PM

Hi guys, you are a little off here.

The 230 K have a blow off valve ( look at your air filter box ).

The reason is that MB runs with the throttle on the pressure side
of the supercharger, when the throttle is closed and the engine still is up in speed, the compressor will still boost and create 3-4
bars pressure on the throttle, if the bypass wasen't there.
When you open the inlet throttle, the bypass will close and opposit.
KLEEMANN and AMG have the throttle on the inlet side on the compressor, why bypass not is needed, when the throttle is closed, no air will enter the supercharger.
AMG do not use bypass - KLEEMANN does.
The bypass in the KLEEMANN system, brings down temperatures
in the system when the engine runs off boost ( part loads ) and gives better milage.
All centrifugal kits boost on the throttle, why it would be a crime
not to build in a bypass.

So to fit a BOV on your cars will be a little off, it's already there.
Old 08-03-2002, 01:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sure get technical when I was just begining to have fun!
Old 08-03-2002, 02:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
Originally posted by Lucas
um... what does the BOV look like? i'm looking at the air filter box, where the ITG filter goes...
Old 08-03-2002, 02:43 AM
tb2
Almost a Member!

2002 C230 Kompressor
Sure get technical when I was just begining to have fun!
...well it was a technical question...
Old 08-03-2002, 02:52 AM

2002 C230K
the bypass valve is already built-in on the Eaton M45 4th generation. it's part of the s/c itself.
Old 08-05-2002, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
Originally posted by Lucas

The reason is that MB runs with the throttle on the pressure side
of the supercharger
I stand corrected with regards to saying roots type superchargers don't need a bleed valve. My knowledge of superchargers is a little dated as I'm more familiar with a blower that has a couple of Holleys sitting on top of it than these new fangled contraptions used by MB. I guess I should have thought a little harder about the M111's set-up, because after Lucas mentioned it, I remebered that the throttle was between the SC and the intake manifold and that the Coupe does indeed have a bleed valve.

Anyways the Coupe's BOV can't be heard releasing pressure because it releases the pressure back into the manifold upstream of the SC for NVH reasons.

Cheers, BT
Old 08-05-2002, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So then you do need the NA BOV so you can hear the Psssh sound. Worth the $340 either way.
Old 08-05-2002, 03:03 PM

2002 C230k
... Also what would be great is to record a Ferrari exhaust into a synthesizer and play that based on throttle position and RPM. That would be way cheaper than some of the near $1,000 mufflers out there and net out the same performance and better, more controllable sound.
As you probably know, this has already been done. Many years ago in fact. Back in the day when a lot of companies were still playing around with active noise cancellation there was one company (British, I think?) that outfitted some little four banger with their latest system. It was tied in to the engine management and make the car sound like a V12, a V8, or a couple others if I remember right. Of course this was all interior sound, the exterior still sounded like a four cylinder...