C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

supercharger

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2002, 01:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 C320
supercharger

I was wondering if i can put a supercharger on my c320. If so how would i go about getting it. Or whats another way to get horsepower.
Old 08-02-2002, 01:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: supercharger

Originally posted by dannyx00
I was wondering if i can put a supercharger on my c320. If so how would i go about getting it. Or whats another way to get horsepower.
Evosport, who provide this forum for us, sells Kleemann superchargers.

Kleemann dealers closer to you are:

Conversion Techniques Inc.
9845 Bigge Street
Oakland
CA 94603

TEL.: +1.510.639.0911
FAX: +1.510.639.0297

and Canepa Design in Santa Cruz.

Last edited by Lynn; 08-02-2002 at 02:03 AM.
Old 08-02-2002, 02:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Or Brabus sells a 3.8 upgrade, not as many ponies as the Kleemann supercharger but some say there's no replacement for displacement. AMG also makes a supercharger kit. Either way you are looking at a lot of money. Sell the C320 and get a C32, you'll be happier. The best value is probably Kleeman but you are still looking at 10 large for an installed system.

If still interested you may want to bug Magnuson, they buy components directly from Eaton and resell them to tuners who put their names on it like HPS (for the E430) and Jackson Racing, TRD, Saleen, McLaren and others. They may be working on something for the C320.

http://www.magnusonproducts.com/

Another biggy in the Mercedes hot rodding game is Mosselman, don't think they do anything now for the C320 but maybe they are working on it. It's a popular motor.

http://www.mosselmanturbo.com
Old 08-02-2002, 05:10 AM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Re: supercharger

Originally posted by dannyx00
Sure you can put a supercharger. Kleeman would be a good option, or AMG supercharger. Anotherway is to have a proffesional shop to bore your engine out like Brabus, or may be Oberklasse in Dallas (they don't bore it out but they have cam kits and stuff)

What is your upgrade budget? that is the real question.
Old 08-02-2002, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
C230 Sports Coupe
yeah if you are gonna spend $10K or more, I think you would be better off to get a C32. Its warrented, and you will get your maoney out of it better that a sc'd C320.
Old 08-02-2002, 11:10 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
You could sell the C320, take a hit on the depreciation, and buy a purpose-engineered C32 AMG and still be better financially than spending skads of $ on the upgrade. Besides, the C32 would be fully warranteed, while your modified C320 would be on it's own.

Do a search on this topic. Someone else here has a similar wet dream for a S/C on a C240, and there's similar discussion on that topic. You can't just slap a $10K S/C on a stock C320 engine. Compression ratios also need to be adjusted (new pistons and such). That's more $$$.
Old 08-02-2002, 11:24 AM
Out Of Control!!

That is only partially true.
Properly designed superchargers, such as the Kleemann Supercharger, are designed to be non-invasive on the engine. Other engine upgrades are not required in order to maintain engine reliability and longevity. The Kleemann Supercharger only runs at .5 bar (as many others follow), however it's intercooler is light years ahead of the competition; including AMG. The result of this is a supercharger that does not require a special low-compression engine to work properly and reliable.

Thanks

Ben
Old 08-02-2002, 11:46 AM

w203 c230K 2002
Originally posted by Mach430
That is only partially true.
Properly designed superchargers, such as the Kleemann Supercharger, are designed to be non-invasive on the engine. Other engine upgrades are not required in order to maintain engine reliability and longevity. The Kleemann Supercharger only runs at .5 bar (as many others follow), however it's intercooler is light years ahead of the competition; including AMG. The result of this is a supercharger that does not require a special low-compression engine to work properly and reliable.

Thanks

Ben
What is the diffrence between high pressure low density air and low pressure high density air and it's effect on engine wear?
Old 08-02-2002, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The problem with adding 10k in upgrades is that when you sell it many would look at it as a hot rodded Benz and want nothing to do with it. The best you may be able to get is to take the mod off and sell it by itself but the labor is expensive. If you have a C32 the resale value stays with it. It will always be a car that's in demand. If you are worried about taking a hit on your C320 then sell the C320 and get a used C32. The money you lose on your C320 will be made up by the savings on the used C32.
Old 08-02-2002, 12:45 PM

W203
Originally posted by MB-BOB
Someone else here has a similar wet dream for a S/C on a C240, and there's similar discussion on that topic. You can't just slap a $10K S/C on a stock C320 engine. Compression ratios also need to be adjusted (new pistons and such). That's more $$$.

Now just wait a minute MB-Bob!

I always enjoy your posts cause you seem like the voice of reason. We are not just some kids who happen to run into an AMG supercharger and slap it on.

We have several parties such as MB themselves envoled in this project and it will take several months to prefect!

We all know that the blower will definetely have to be under-run.
We are probably going to be boosting at about 7 to 9 lbs.

I was not able to afford a C32 at the time but when you get an opportunity such as an AMG supercharger for almost free and the support of several tuners, wouldn't you do it aswell???

Old 08-02-2002, 02:55 PM

2002 C230k
Originally posted by renncpe
What is the diffrence between high pressure low density air and low pressure high density air and it's effect on engine wear?
Ok, it's a Friday afternoon, the end of a long week... and maybe that's why this question has my brain smoking.

How the heck are you going to manage getting high pressure low density air and low pressure high density air? The two aren't independent of each other. They change in proportion to each other, assuming a constant temp... in fact changing the temp is the only way to raise the pressure without changing the density, so are you really asking how temp effects wear?

In the end it's the mass flow that matters anyway, so, what the heck are you asking?
Old 08-02-2002, 04:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32 AMG
I was not able to afford a C32 at the time but when you get an opportunity such as an AMG supercharger for almost free and the support of several tuners, wouldn't you do it aswell???
Certainly if you can get the supercharger for free and get it all installed for free somehow, then it becomes a viable option.

But for most people the $10K it costs for, say, a Kleeman supercharger could be used, along with a trade-in C320, to get a C32.

No matter how you cut it, you won't get your money back on resale unless you go with the stock car (e.g. a C32). But for some people it doesn't matter. The fun part is messin' with the mechanical bits.
Old 08-02-2002, 04:35 PM
gab

oh well, if you wanted to keep the 6sp on 240 or 320 (soon) then the aftermaket supercharger makes more sense
Old 08-02-2002, 04:38 PM

2002 c230k
Originally posted by renncpe

Wow, a chicken and egg question! High pressure LD would mean hot air and LPHD would mean cold air. This is also volume dependant, but if you are talking fixed volume then:
P1/T1=P2/T2 with the T in degrees Kelvin(celcius plus 273)
PV=nRT when n is number of moles and R=gas constant (look it up)
Old 08-02-2002, 05:28 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Originally posted by Class C
Now just wait a minute MB-Bob!

I always enjoy your posts cause you seem like the voice of reason. We are not just some kids who happen to run into an AMG supercharger and slap it on.

We have several parties such as MB themselves envoled in this project and it will take several months to prefect!

We all know that the blower will definetely have to be under-run.
We are probably going to be boosting at about 7 to 9 lbs.

Just getting back to this thread, Class C. As jswedberg says, if you're getting the bulk of the expense gratis, then you can afford to throw in some of your savings on development work. Most of us would not be that lucky. And if you just love tinkering with cars rather than enjoying driving a C32 now, then by all means spend the next several months making the C240 work. I'm sure you will be successful with enough time and money.

However, at the end of the day, Buellwinkle makes the best case when he says:

Originally posted by Buellwinkle
The problem with adding 10k in upgrades is that when you sell it, many prospective buyers would look at it as a hot rodded Benz and want nothing to do with it. The best you may be able to get is to take the mod off and sell it by itself but the (reverse) labor is expensive {at a time when your enthusiasm for the whole deal has evaporated--my addition}. If you have a C32 the resale value stays with it.

Last edited by MB-BOB; 08-02-2002 at 05:34 PM.
Old 08-02-2002, 09:21 PM

The problem is never to install the hard ware, the problem is to
make the car run as it should.

Good luck by installing the AMG compressor, it can end up beeing the most expencive thing you ever did. Go for a kit which works.
Old 08-02-2002, 09:36 PM

To claim that Mosselmann turbo system in Holland is a " Biggy ",
is not exactly the truth.

He is living in a box on a field in Holland and the company counts
Villy Mosselmann himself and a guy whics weld the pipes.
A home page is some times " pumping up " companies.
Old 08-03-2002, 02:45 AM

W203
Originally posted by MB-BOB

Just getting back to this thread, Class C. As jswedberg says, if you're getting the bulk of the expense gratis, then you can afford to throw in some of your savings on development work. Most of us would not be that lucky. And if you just love tinkering with cars rather than enjoying driving a C32 now, then by all means spend the next several months making the C240 work. I'm sure you will be successful with enough time and money.

Thanks for you clarification MB-Bob,

I think the fun part for me is tinkering with things, heck the Mods I've done so far I could've gotten a C320 or pay higher montly on a C32.. In any event, it will be successful and I'll be posting pics and dyno info once we finish.
Old 08-03-2002, 07:27 AM

w203 c230K 2002
Originally posted by Spyke

Ok, it's a Friday afternoon, the end of a long week... and maybe that's why this question has my brain smoking.

How the heck are you going to manage getting high pressure low density air and low pressure high density air? The two aren't independent of each other. They change in proportion to each other, assuming a constant temp... in fact changing the temp is the only way to raise the pressure without changing the density, so are you really asking how temp effects wear?

In the end it's the mass flow that matters anyway, so, what the heck are you asking?
I should have asked Mach430. The premises that the Kleeman SC does not cause any wear or stress to the engine as compaired to stock because it's a low pressure SC whith a more effecent intercooler. It's the same in the long run as far as stress on th engine ect.
Old 08-04-2002, 01:30 AM

Thumbs up

Well you can always use nos i think the 3.2 should easily handle a 50 shot.
Old 11-26-2002, 03:33 PM

Does any of you know a MB model called C 430 ????

With total 300 years experience in your company, you don't even know the MB model range ????.