C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Questions about XM radio

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2001, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C320
Question Questions about XM radio

Whomever here posted the great pics on their XM radio installation, I have some questions for you. I'm really interested in it, and have been doing some research. In a perfect world, the solution looks like the pioneer unit because it sits in the trunk, and you get that nifty remote thingy that you can mount somewhere. Unfortunately, it looks like there is no way on earth to convert the IP-BUS outputs to normal analogue signals. Anyone know a way? (I have a C320)

About the Sony unit in the pictures:

First, did they have to drill any holes in your car to get it installed? How did they run the wire from the antenna to the reciever? I'm wondering how difficult that was. Also, how did they wire the power supply? Does the AUX-IN cable get in the way of your CD changer? Have any passengers complained about bumping into the sony unit mounted on the side?

One complaint I have heard about the Sony units is that the line-out signal strenght is weak compared to the FM modulator -- do you notice that you have to turn the volume up a lot more than for a normal CD?

Do you have the upgraded bose? I won't take delivery of my car until next month -- is that shelf metal (ie., the antenna will stick to it via magnets), and isn't there a subwoofer or something back there in the shelf too to get in the way? How is the receiption that way compared to mounting on the roof? The XMradio website seems to suggest that the only way to mount the antenna is on the roof or window.

Sorry for all the questions, but your postings on this subject have given me XM radio fever!!

Thanks,
Adrian
Old 06-26-2003, 03:45 PM

1995 E320
ip-bus to rca

I realize I'm replying to a really old thread, but just wanted to say that there's an adapter to convert the IP-bus output of the Pioneer XM unit to standard RCA line-level outputs. Crutchfield, among others, has it.
Old 06-26-2003, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does PIE, Blitzsafe or any others make an adapter to provide AUX into our radios or do I have to get my soldering iron out? Actualy the FM mod isn't that bad but AUX in would be better.

The problem I have is I'm not crazy about the programming. I find myself going back to FM for more entertaining DJ's and better song selection. I did it because my daughter needs it at her school because there's only one station in town and it's not very good. After her install it was only $7/month to add me to that account. Even at $7 I'm not sure I want it. For long trips the CD changer/player is much higher quality and between 7 CDs I can switch around to what I'm in the mood to listen to at the moment. Fo example I was listening to John Mayer on the CD and it just sounds great, then the song came on XM and it sounded mediocre enough where I didn't enjoy it and changed stations. Also the channels vary in quality so I'm not sure that Aux in would help that.
Old 06-26-2003, 04:56 PM

1995 E320
It's made by PIE... here's a link:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...0&I=469PIOPRCA

I'm about to try to install XM myself if I can figure out how to run the wires to the back of the head unit area. I can get the unit out, with the radio keys, but I'm not seeing an access port or some hole to run everything through. I hope the quality will be high enough for my taste... I'm pretty picky. Guess time will tell.
Old 06-26-2003, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Din't know you have an aftermarket radio. The P.I.E. adapter won't work with any MB factory radio made after 1995, or since they went fiber optic. So what I need is gizmo that can interface into the fiber loop and emulate another device like the factory CD changer or fiber optic amp. If you hear of anything let me know. It's a challange but someday, probably after I sell my car they will have something.

Also, the PIE OEM adapter info is on http://www.pie.net/oemappl.htm

Unfortunately MB will probably have some Sirius HU's for 2004 but I listen to Sirius on their website and they have less of the type of programming I like than XM and it's more expensive.