C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Rust Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 01:25 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 c230k
Rust Problem

so, i just got off the phone with MBUSA re the problem i am having with the hex bolts on my calipers rusting... well, just like the asst. service mgr at the dealer, she said that this was not something they would warranty, that because it was COSMETIC, i, the consumer would have to pay to have it replaced (which would be the entire caliper).

what b.s! i can't and will not understand how something COSMETIC is not under warranty - i bought the car based in part because of its COSMETIC pleasure to my eye. this just doesn't seem logical to me. the calipers were made to look nice, pleasing to the eye - why is it that a part of it is allowed to deteriorate?!

well, i'll be talking to the service mgr at the dealer and again, voice my displeasure.

anyone else had this experience?
Old 02-09-2006, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Wouldn't this fall under "bumper-to-bumper" warranty?
Old 02-09-2006, 02:14 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 c230k
ya.... that's what i thought or under the "No Rust" part of the warranty.

You would think, this Statement meant something:

"New Vehicle Limited Warranty
All new Mercedes-Benz vehicles are covered by our New Vehicle Limited Warranty. It covers any defects in materials or workmanship for 48 months or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first. All you have to do is bring your vehicle into any Authorized Mercedes-Benz Dealer, where you'll find expert technicians who know your vehicle inside and out."

Last edited by ckev; 02-09-2006 at 02:27 PM.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ckev
It covers any defects in materials or workmanship for 48 months or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first. All you have to do is bring your vehicle into any Authorized Mercedes-Benz Dealer, where you'll find expert technicians who know your vehicle inside and out."
Time to take a ride.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
Just a second, a "rust warranty" usually refers to a perforation through the sheet metal of the car, not surface rust. I like to keep a clean car, and there are more products than will fit in the trunk available to retard the effects of nature on surfaces exposed to the elements.

Rotor, calipers, and attendant hardware are made of steel for the most part and will rust if left exposed to the atmosphere. Light surface rust will not interfere with the functioning of the brakes. I don't see a defect in materials or workmanship here, just normal wear from exposure.

None of our cars looks as good as the day it was built. All materials deterioate, and it is not the fault of the factory.

I use a chrome process called Dura-Plate for steel parts I want to protect. It is expensive for small batches, but it is effective.

http://www.techplate.com/duraplate1.htm
Old 02-10-2006, 02:45 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 c230k
ya.... all of that is basically what MBUSA and the Serv Mgr have told me. although, i don't necessarily agree - my bolts on my pretty calipers should not be rusting, regardless of nature, atmosphere or whatever. the car is 6 months old not 20 yrs old, left out in the elements, sitting, etc.

the point here is, the product was not designed well - this is not the consumer's fault it is the manufacturers and they should deal with it. i paid for and bought the car for a large part based on asthetics and if that aspect of the vehicle is "breaking" down so to speak, MB should remedy that.

irregardless, since MB is not going to do anything about this... i will check out the stuff you cited. thanks.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
Originally Posted by ckev
ya.... all of that is basically what MBUSA and the Serv Mgr have told me. although, i don't necessarily agree - my bolts on my pretty calipers should not be rusting, regardless of nature, atmosphere or whatever. the car is 6 months old not 20 yrs old, left out in the elements, sitting, etc.

the point here is, the product was not designed well - this is not the consumer's fault it is the manufacturers and they should deal with it. i paid for and bought the car for a large part based on asthetics and if that aspect of the vehicle is "breaking" down so to speak, MB should remedy that.

irregardless, since MB is not going to do anything about this... i will check out the stuff you cited. thanks.
Are the caliper bolts painted? Are they coated in anything? Have they been removed ever?

Sorry but a bolt or bolt head that is exposed to the atmosphere is going toshow surface rust. There is nothing MB can do about that. And no it is not and should not be covered under warranty as it is not a defect but a sign of wear and tear. That is like trying to get new rotors because you parked the car for two weeks and the rotors start to show surface rust. There is nothing you or anyone else can do to stop or prevent it.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:23 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 c230k
allright, not to argue...

the BOLT has not been removed and it's been coated. regardless of any of your points - the BOLT should not be rusting, period. it's a show piece that is part of another show piece of the car, the Front Caliper. i'm not sure what your front calipers look like on your '03, but on the '05s, they are painted with a MB logo affixed - they are not just stock, bare iron (or aluminum). there were painted for a reason... to look good - so then should the BOLTS they use to hold them.

i have owned other German cars, i.e. A4, S4, etc. and have never, ever seen any part of the outside of the car rust. your analogy to a rotor is not sensical here. the rotor is bare. the caliper is not and thus the bolt should not be. it is treated but it is failing - that is the whole point. and, there is something that can be done here - MB can replace them with better treated or painted bolts that will not show wear n tear after only 6 months or regular driving/sitting.

again, this B.S. on MB's part. if, and i say IF my calipers were bare to begin with i wold not be b!tching, but that is not the case- thus, my reason for being upset!!!!

end of story!
Old 02-10-2006, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mctwin2kman
Sorry but a bolt or bolt head that is exposed to the atmosphere is going toshow surface rust. There is nothing MB can do about that. And no it is not and should not be covered under warranty as it is not a defect but a sign of wear and tear. That is like trying to get new rotors because you parked the car for two weeks and the rotors start to show surface rust. There is nothing you or anyone else can do to stop or prevent it.
So if your rims started rusting on a car 6 months old you're just gonna chalk it up to "a sign of wear and tear"? I agree it cosmetic but it is a bad knock against the quality of the product MB is producing.