C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Questions on C7 and power seats in C230

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2001, 02:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 BMW Z3 2.3 Roadster (hardtop current ly attached)
Questions on C7 and power seats in C230

ok, first, what tires come with the 17s in the C7 (as in manufacturer and model)... and is the shifter actually different in the C7, or just the knob.
(interior picks would be good... is the steering wheel different?)

re: the seats, my wife has rheumatoid arthritis (sp?) so seating surfaces are VERY important to her... the stock C230 seat was awful for her, how much is the adjustability improved with the power-option???

thanks for any input.

Last edited by dasMafia; 12-13-2001 at 02:37 AM.
Old 12-13-2001, 07:58 AM

w203 c230K 2002
Re: Questions on C7 and power seats in C230

Originally posted by dasMafia
ok, first, what tires come with the 17s in the C7 (as in manufacturer and model)... and is the shifter actually different in the C7, or just the knob.
(interior picks would be good... is the steering wheel different?)

The shifter in the C-7 package is different, not just the knob the linkage also. The linkage in the C-7 is a tighter pattern. This seems to be an undocumented feature. I noticed the difference and had our parts department look it up. In fact they have different part numbers, and a different action.

Randy
Old 12-13-2001, 08:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
re the tires, i have been told by the dealer that they have no control over which tires you get. i got Michelin Pilot Sports but i know many others got Continental ContiSports. some people have posted that their dealer will change tires for you if you specify it.

Last edited by young; 12-13-2001 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12-13-2001, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
re: power seats

If I were to order another C-Coupe, I'd opt for the power seats. My initial thinking, 'since I'm the only driver, I'll only set the seat once and save some cash' was short sighted. From what I've seen on other models, the power seats are infinitely adjustable, and have 3 memory settings (two are programmble by smartkey functions).

The controls for the manual seats(even in leather) are inconveniently stuffed down next to the center console. Extremely difficult to access while driving...
Old 12-13-2001, 09:57 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Rick, I'd like to know what you're doing when driving that you have to adjust the seat. dasMafia, the ability to adjust will be much easier with the power seats; as Rick says, it's not too easy with the manual adjustments. It might be a good option for you to get.

dasMafia: which seating surface did your wife have problems with, the cloth or the leather?

To answer the q that noone got to, yes, the steering wheel is slightly different in the c7. It's got them "raised thumbgrips" thingys. They actually are very nice. I think that the leather is slightly different as well.

Everyone's favorite to my photopoint is:

click me

I've got a coule pics of the steering wheel in there, in between the pics of how beautiful the Orion color is.
Old 12-13-2001, 11:09 AM

2000 BMW Z3 2.3 Roadster (hardtop current ly attached)
THANK YOU!!! you have just clinched the decision, the BMW thing is dead... the only thing left is the money issue.

and I WANT MICHELINS!!!!

the different shifter gives me enough reason to ditch the automatic and snag the stick. I am SOOOOO glad i didn't have to explain that one to the "enthusiast gods"

thanks for the input on the seats too... she didn't like the cloth (out dealer here sux and has a pathetic inventory... they have not had any leather C230s yet, and they've only moved 3 total).

so its set Obsidian, Charcoal, C5, C7, C1, and either K2 or C4... cannot decide, can't have both.
Old 12-13-2001, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
If you're going with the c1 seats...take the c4 heated seats too...It'd be a shame to make your wife so comfortable, just to have her freeze her tukuss off in those cold Nebraska winters
Old 12-13-2001, 11:57 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Re: re: power seats

Originally posted by Rick
From what I've seen on other models, the power seats are infinitely adjustable, and have 3 memory settings (two are programmble by smartkey functions).
Rick/DasMafia, I believe the memory seats work the same on the coupe as my sedan. Memory is key-dependent. You get two Smart Keys. Your wife can program as many as 3 different seat/mirror/wheel positions on her key (not two). You get up to 3-settings for your key, also. (i.e. 6 settings total) The seating positions available are recalled depending on which key is inserted in the ignition.

Once both keys are programmed, I return the setting indicator (on the door) to the #1 position. That way, when wife gets in, closes door and inserts her key, the seats/mirrors/wheel goes to her #1 key setting. Likewise for my key.

DasMafia, with your wife's situation, I would definitely recommend the memory seats. My wife has bursitis, and likes the feature more than any other. Make sure she sits on a coupe or sedan with leather or MB-Tex, to be sure she is happy with the firmness of the non-cloth seats.

One added benefit is the easy entry feature. Also programmed into the key, this feature can be set to raise the steering wheel and retract the seat (either one or both) to assist in getting out of the car. When you return to the car and insert the key, both wheel and seat are returned to your driving position. That could also help your wife... and you, especially if you are quite a bit taller than she is. For use by two drivers of different stature, the memory seats are the bees knees!

We don't have the heated seats... I don't want to be THAT comfortable and fall asleep at the wheel. Rick just likes those headlight washers that come with the C4 package. LOL

Last edited by MB-BOB; 12-13-2001 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-13-2001, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

dasMafia, if you are getting leather the heated seats will be the better choice of C4 or K2 in Nebraska. I love my heated seats, and I weon't buy another car without them. At first I didn't order them, but after using them in the first coupe, I changed my order.
Old 12-13-2001, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Sorry I didn't get C1 on my C240...

First, I would get C4 over K2 also. I've had heated seats before the MB also, and they're really nice to have.

When I ordered my C240, I decided I could live without C1 (wanted to save $1225). I had tried the standard semi-manual seats and found them to be acceptable. (On the C240, power height and recline adjustments are standard -- the fore-and-aft adjuster is manual). The manual adjuster actually is pretty good. The space between fore-and-aft positions is very small, so there is almost infinite adjustment, unlike some other cars w/ wider spacing. Also, you get a knob near the front of the seat to adjust the seat bottom angle.

All this said, I still wish I got C1. Now that I'm wearing a jacket and sometimes a sweater, I'd like to be able to move the seat back just a touch, but I usually avoid doing it. Also, the power wheel adjustment would be nice, with the exit feature. So, now that I have the car and I'm not thinking about the $$$, I'm having second thoughts. Only human, right?