C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Low boost

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 02:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C200K
Question Low boost

I'm really confused right now and really need some suggestions...

My car is the 2.0L M111 (200K 2002) and has the final version of the ASP pulley. Now, yesterday I just installed a boost guage and went for a spin around the block only to find that my boost level is at 5 PSI, full boost (5 PSI) comes in at very low RPMs when engine is under load but stays limited at 5 PSI throughout the rev range... occasionally peaking at 6 PSI at red line. I have a self made crappy intercooler installed so I suspected that the pressure drop was due to my IC, so this morning I swapped the IC with the stock one only to find the exact same boost levels (limited at 5 PSI).

Isn't my car supposed to run 7 SPI stock? Plus with the pulley, isn't the boost level supposed to jump to well over 7 PSI? Hrmm... I timed myself with a stopwatch (not the best way, i know) from 1-100 Km/h and it is in the mid 10's so my low boost condition is not just in my head.

One point to mention is that my car had never been any faster (I bought the thing new) and it does not feel that it has lost power over the 4 years of ownership.

My car also has a 4-2-1 header and sports muffler and the last time I dyno'ed it showed about 170HP & 333Nm at the wheels. My choice of wheels is somewhat oversized and over weight for my particular car, having chosen a replica staggered Brabus B6 8.5" fronts 9.5 rears running 235x40x18 and 265x35x18 respectively.

I have come across a thread where another member has put on the same size wheels as mine and his acceleration has decreased...(https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=43121), but dyno HP is dyno HP right? it shouldn't matter what size wheels I have on right? or does it? Well enough of the acceleration and HP...

There are slight traces of oil in the intake plumbing, i can't figure out where it's coming from.... i can only deduce that it's from my overoiled K&N filter as these traces where not there before when I used the stock paper filters. On that note, since the boost level is regulated at precisely 5 PSI would that mean that the bypass valve is controlling this? If so, then could an oil-covered MAF sensor up the pipe have anything to do with this? I going to go check the MAF now...

Where'd my boost go?

Last edited by 3pointedSTAR; 02-17-2006 at 02:25 AM. Reason: Add more stuff