C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Mods to help Fuel Economy

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Mods to help Fuel Economy

I debated whether to post this in a thread about fuel economy complaints or to start a new thread, but I thought it might be a better thing to make this a centralized thread for people to look at and search for when wondering if their mods will hurt/help fuel economy. It's from an email I got from performance peddler (cheapest place I found to buy a K&N filter on the net):

Originally Posted by performancepeddler.com
Fuel Saving Tips
1. High Performance Exhaust. Replacing a stock muffler with a high performance muffler or cat back system will help fuel economy. Most stock or OE exhaust systems bog down the performance of your vehicle. (Suggested Manufacturers: MagnaFlow, Bassani, Flowmaster, Borla, Arvin Supreme, IMCO)

2. High Flow Converter. Replacing your converter(s) on your vehicle is a great way to enhance the performance of your vehicle. Over time converters can become plugged up and greatly reduce fuel economy. (Suggested Manufacturers: Magnaflow )

3. Air Intake. Replacing your stock air filter is a great way to increase your fuel economy. Another bigger approach would be to replace your air filter with a high performance intake kit. (Suggested Manufactures: K&N )

4. Spark Plugs. Replacing your platinum spark plugs with some high performance iridium spark plugs may also increase fuel economy. (Suggested Manufactures: Denso )

5. Tire Inflation. Keep your vehicle's tires properly inflated. Low tire pressure reduces fuel mileage and increase tread wear. Estimated that you can lose up to 6% in fuel efficiency.

6. In tune. Keep your vehicle tuned up. An engine that runs roughly or misfires from plugged fuel injectors, bad spark plugs or wires, or worn and cracked distributor components reduces performance and fuel mileage.

7. Stay Balanced. Keep your vehicle rolling smoothly. Make sure your vehicle's tires are balanced, the front ends are aligned and the brakes aren't dragging. The added rolling resistance from improperly adjusted tires, brakes and alignment can cut fuel economy by 20 percent.

8. Oxygen Sensors. Check your O2 sensors. A new oxygen sensor alone can improve gas mileage by as much as 15 percent.

*All tips above are recommendations based on past experiences and the manufacturer or PerformancePeddler.com can not guarantee actual improved fuel economy. It has been our experience that doing the tips above will improve fuel economy but there are two many other variables involved that we can not guarantee it. These tips are meant to be helpful and potentially save you some money at the pump!
TO THE MODERATORS (amdeutsch, MB-BOB, ricky.agrawal, Mr. Vanos and whomever I forgot) - This may be something you might want to add in the AFTERMARKET/OEM - MODIFICATIONS/DIY sticky. Just another thread that people can link to and have handy.

Last edited by drexappeal; 02-24-2006 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They forgot the most important stuff like wax your car... Actually, the only thing that makes a difference for me, and I tried much of the stuff noted above is to ease up on the gas pedal, drive slower and smoother. Since I can't do that I got a job closer to home, conserves fuel, allows me to drive like a maniac.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by Buellwinkle
They forgot the most important stuff like wax your car... Actually, the only thing that makes a difference for me, and I tried much of the stuff noted above is to ease up on the gas pedal, drive slower and smoother. Since I can't do that I got a job closer to home, conserves fuel, allows me to drive like a maniac.
LOL...true, true, Buellwinkle. Although, ever since I went past the 1/4 mark in age, I think I slowly started driving more towards the "Miss Daisy" side than the "Rebel without a Cause" side...hahaha
Old 02-24-2006, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 C230 01 Burban
Interesting info, I managed to get around 17-20mpg in my old car with many of those suggestions listed above.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:06 PM

04 M3, 05 R1
losing weight of your car will help. replace some parts with carbon fiber stuff... get lighter rims as it will lighten your car, it will improve the handling also, get rid of p-zero tires if you have them. they are heavy.

you can help by losing your gut too

if you run with less octane gas it will increase mpg too but don't listen to me on this one.. it mite void ur warranty or something..
Old 02-24-2006, 09:38 PM

02' C240
im just wondering, is the above true? cause a mechanic told me...changing the exhaust, intake will always cause the mileage to go worse? well this is how he said it when i changed my exhaust....and i was only 17 when he said this
changing the exhaust is like making ur a$$hole bigger...with a bigger a$$hole...u need to eat more *****....or else ur not making use of ur big a$$. in able to eat more *****.(which is air) you need to make ur mouth bigger. (the intake)...and the more u eat, u gota drink more water to make urself feel better (engine using gas)....lol...its just a way to compare stuff and to describe to me...but yeah...pushing more air into the engine....u just gota use more gas to mix it with.......im not 100% sure...so someone gimme an answer to that.
thanks heh
Old 02-24-2006, 10:34 PM

04 C230K-ss
Ok I got a custom exhaust....the mileage did go up around the city by avg. 2-3mpg. But when its Highway driving time...it is hard to get the avg. mpg above 32mpg. Unless I cruise the speedlimit on the freeway out here in cali (UNHEARD OF!) then I can avg. about 34mpg highway. So slight increase around city but lost a little on the highway.

Trending Topics

Old 02-24-2006, 11:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Lose the bling...ditch the huge rims, get harder compound tires, over inflate them. Leave the AC off, roll up the windows to reduce drag, keep the car tuned, and the air filter clean. Always keep the car in the highest gear possible without lugging the engine. Let off the gas if youre not accellerating. Cruise control. Find the 'sweet spot'....each car and route is different- sometimes going slower can use more fuel....sounds screwy, but its true sometimes.

Empty your car. Carpool. Buy a motorcycle.

This is a nice change from "why does my Benz get dusted, and I need more power " threads.
Old 02-25-2006, 04:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Brabus K3
"the brakes aren't dragging"

And if they are dragging what should you do??

Best Regards.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C320 Sport Sedan 4MATIC, Cayenne S, Bayliner Capri V8, Subaru STi
9. Don't Drive The Car. By not using your vehicle will increase your fuel economy to 100%.

10. Use Public Transportation. Take the bus, train, taxi cab and your fuel mileage and your fuel efficiency will increase 100%

TO THE MODERATORS (amdeutsch, MB-BOB, ricky.agrawal, Mr. Vanos and whomever I forgot) - This may be something you might want to add in the AFTERMARKET/OEM - MODIFICATIONS/DIY sticky. Just another thread that people can link to and have handy.
Old 02-25-2006, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by topekoms
im just wondering, is the above true? cause a mechanic told me...changing the exhaust, intake will always cause the mileage to go worse? well this is how he said it when i changed my exhaust....and i was only 17 when he said this
changing the exhaust is like making ur a$$hole bigger...with a bigger a$$hole...u need to eat more *****....or else ur not making use of ur big a$$. in able to eat more *****.(which is air) you need to make ur mouth bigger. (the intake)...and the more u eat, u gota drink more water to make urself feel better (engine using gas)....lol...its just a way to compare stuff and to describe to me...but yeah...pushing more air into the engine....u just gota use more gas to mix it with.......im not 100% sure...so someone gimme an answer to that.
thanks heh
It can make sense, depends on how you engineer your changes. For example, in the old days, cars metered the air/fuel mixture through this contraption called a carburator, still used in cheap motorcycles and lawn mowers. Changing parameters of the engine (exhaust, intake, cam, etc) without corrections to the carburator would lead to very lean a/f ratio conditions and eventually leads to pinging and that's not efficient and increases fuel consumption. The big advantage of a carburator is that many backyard mechanics can easily rejet it for a few dollars, even experimenting with different jetting was not a big deal. Carburators in cars practically fell to extinction more than 20 years ago and fuel injection replaced it. In FI cars, the a/f ratio is for the most part controlled by the ECU using sensors to help it dynamically alter how much air and fuel is mixed. The missing component is that these sensors are not accurate under certain conditions like at wide open throttle where it can't react fast enough so the ECU uses preset maps. When you make the changes noted above without making changes to the injectors or fuel pressure or the ECU maps it can go lean again and consumption can rise. So to most people doing these mods, the cost of extra fuel consumption vs. the complexities of engeering a proper solution make a perfect solution for a low volume luxury oriented brand like MB not likely, hence more mods usually equal more fuel. This is where cars like Honda Civics, American pickup trucks and Ford Mustangs are ideal for modding, with enough people doing it, the programming is available so you can tweak the ECU yourself based on what mods you do.

The only caveat is that with more power comes a heavier foot and for that, you will get poorer gas mileage no matter what you do.
Old 02-26-2006, 05:50 AM

C240 2004
This is a C180K, how many mpg equal to this ? If you want to save fuel, just buy a C180K

Old 02-26-2006, 09:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C320 Sport Sedan 4MATIC, Cayenne S, Bayliner Capri V8, Subaru STi
Originally Posted by benzhn

This is a C180K, how many mpg equal to this ?

44km/hr = 27 mi/hr

6.31 liters = 1.66 gallons

100 kilometers = 62.13 miles

27 mi/h ~~~~~~ 1.66 gallons/62.13 miles

This is a C180K, how many mpg equal to this ?

60 km/hr = 37.28 mi/hr

6.2 liters = 1.63 gallons

100 kilometers = 62.13 miles

37.28 mi/hr
1.63 gallons/62.13 miles

you drive slow

hmmm......interchangable clusters?

If you want to save fuel, just buy a C180K

thanks for the offer, there is no C180k in the US

i am not complaining about my fuel economy
Old 03-03-2006, 02:22 PM

2013 c300 4matic, 2002 c240
car is totally stock and i get great mileage (a little bit above what mbusa qoutes of 26-hwy).