C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Service issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2002 | 02:29 PM
Almost a Member!

C230
Service issues

I recently took my car in for service for several minor items. They include the following:
1. The static some of us are experiencing with the cd changer
2. Improper oil level detected by the FSS in comparison to the dipstick
3. Windshield fogging
4. Key fob operation--I have keys with the number 217
5. Improper fuel level reading after filling tank
6. The shifting from first to second gear. I explained the problem as rough into second and sometimes impossibe getting into first.

Foremost, most of these concerns were minor, and I would not have taken the vehicle in for service except I was driving the car to Florida. Nevertheless, I learned a few things that might help some of you. Firstly, there is now a tech bulletin on the oil level sensor. Apparently the sensor is sending incorrect data to the FSS. I was being told that the car was low on oil; however, after checking it with the dipstick the oil level was full. My service advisor told me there is a new sensor and a tech bulletin stating the problem. Secondly, the fiber obtic cable for the cd changer was replaced according to the bulletin for that.

The other problems could not be duplicated, and therefore nothing could be done. As far as item five, I was told that the car needs to be broken in a bit more. I gues 4700 miles isn't broken in yet.

In short, I picked the car up today, and after driving home and having the car sit for ten minutes, I took the oil level from the FSS. It told me to add one quart. I check with the dipstick and sure enough it was full. I am now waiting for the service manager to call me back. I can only wonder what someone without a dipstick would do. If I added oil every time the FSS told me I was low, I probabaly would have close to ten quarts of oil. I wonder who would pay for the new motor. Finally, to all of you be careful with the oil. The technician told me I would be better off if I used the dipstick and ignored the FSS. I asked him what was the purpose of the FSS if it was not going to give me an accurate reading. He just smiled and told me that is the way MB wants the cars. It just bugs the hell at of me that the same problem exist after having the oil level sensor replaced. I can't wait for the service manager to call me back.

On a lighter note, I had a C240 for two weeks, (kudos to Mercedes of Manhattan for the MB loaner) which a drove to Florida. I made the trek from Bergen County, NJ to Cocoa Beach, Florida in a personal record of 14:15 minutes. The car ate of the miles and was a pleasure to drive. I topped the C240 out at 135. I was a bit disappointed with the off the line performance, but the car kept going once it hit 80. In comparison, the C230 is a much quicker car, and it certainly handles the speed better. When I drive my 230 with the C7 wheels, the car feels more stable. I hope this helps some of you. Also, I would like to hear from other people that have had problems with the FSS and the oil level.
Old 08-09-2002 | 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
Re: Service issues

Originally posted by Jcapp3078
...sometimes impossibe getting into first.
There's some kind of lockout that prevents shifting into first unless the speed is really low (less than 10 mph, some can only shift into first if the car is completely stopped). I've noticed that double-clutching will override it somewhat.

Cheers, BT
Old 08-09-2002 | 02:41 PM

C230
Re: Service issues

Originally posted by Jcapp3078
I recently took my car in for service for several minor items. They include the following:
4. Key fob operation--I have keys with the number 217

So did they not replace your Keys?
Old 08-09-2002 | 02:45 PM

E350 Coupe (2010)
yeah I have to cram it into first to get it in there below 10 mph... its a pain... I too have the static in my CD playing...drives me nuts. Did that get resolved???
Old 08-09-2002 | 02:53 PM

'02 C230K Coupe
The inability to drop into 1st should be more because of the way the synchros work. Like trench said, just double-clutch it and it should engage correctly.
Old 08-09-2002 | 03:30 PM
Almost a Member!

C230
Service Issues

No they did not replace the key fobs. Having the fob work the windows is a complete waste. By the time the system kicks in, I could be in the car playing with the windows. As far as the tranny, I was more interested in MB response. I also wanted it documented for future considerations. Most people ignore the minor problems, but if there documented when they first appear, there will be a paper trail. That way if you ever have problems after the warranty you might have a wheel to stand on.
Old 08-10-2002 | 03:15 AM
rrf

Key Change

A key change will take them a whole day more or less.

Yikes! I had to have it done, and it wasn't fun. Didn't even fix my prob. What is your key problem?

Just wrong key rev, or is something not working?
Old 08-10-2002 | 07:47 AM
Almost a Member!

2002 C230
Good Luck!

Good luck waiting on service.....I have been waiting for 6 weeks for service to call me back!
Old 08-10-2002 | 08:59 PM

Smile Reply to key problem and windsheld

On the windshield fogging, I took my C230k to the dealership and they stated to me that several Mercedes were having the same problem, that Mercedes was working on the problem and that they would get in touch with me when the solution was found. The infrared key fob that I had problems with was solved when the service writer took the battery out of the infrared key fob and bent the tabs that attach to the battery to give it better contact. This worked for me as I am not having any more problems. By the way thier are seven infrared keys programed for a Mercedes and they can order the infrared keys programed to the vehicle so you do not have to program the vehicle to the key, I replaced a infrared key that was lost and had no problems with the vehicle accepting the new one and the dealership deleated the one that was missing. Also I was told by Mercedes that if all seven Infrared keys were lost that they would have to reprogram the vehicle with a new whatever at a cost of about four grand.
Old 08-13-2002 | 06:38 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 C230
I am having problems with FSS and the oil level also. After 2 visits for "oil consumption tests" they have now told me that they were putting too much oil in the car. That doesn't really float with me since the car is OK for 2-3K miles after the oil change and THEN it starts warning about oil level. Sounds like it is low to me, not high. I'd be interested to hear what they would say if I referenced that tech bulletin. You don't happen to have the bulletin number do you?

To whoever mentioned the windshield fogging problem, this has been addressed in a tech bulletin already and there is a replacement part for the center vent. Your dealer should be aware of it and able to order the new part. Mine was able to do it no questions asked.