C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

recurrent alignment problem c230k

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
recurrent alignment problem c230k

Hope someone can help....I have a 2006 C230
The car is 6 mos old with 5k miles.
When I drove the car home after purchase it had a SEVERE pull to the right. I took the car in for service, and they installed a "bolt kit". Within two months the car was pulling hard to the right again. I took it to a different dealership because of unrelated service issues with the original dealership. They aligned the car, and told me that the original dealership had the bolts in the wrong places or adjusted incorrectly. The car was aligned a 3rd time after receiving 2 new front tires due to tire damage that mysteriously showed up when the 2nd dealer returned it to me. It's been two months and the car is now out of alignment again. I'm not doing anything to this car...I'm not driving over potholes, speedbumps, I haven't hit anything. I've never had a car that needed constant alignment.
My questions-
Is there a history of alignment issues with a pull to the right for the c230?
Where can I find Technical Service Bulletins?
The dealer is trying to tell me it is MY problem.
They also told me there is no way for camber/castor bolts etc to be installed incorrectly.
Do I have any defense against these people?

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-27-2006, 01:45 PM

BLACK 05 C230SS
There has been some issues with the pull to the right on 05 C230's but not big enough for a TSB.

If you car has this problem and isn't corrected with 3 tries than I would call MBUSA to get this resolved. Look into the Lemon Laws in your state and contact a lawyer if you have one. Its a safety issue so you may have an upper hand.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
For one a car with wide low profile tires will always feel like it pulls one way or another due to it following every little line, crack and uneven surface of the roadway. Add to that the fact that the SS has Staggered wheels and it intensifies a hair. Now is your problem alignment or the fact that you have never driven a car with low profile tires on it? Does it pull to the right in the right lanes and pull to the left in the left lanes due to the crown of the road? Did you search on this forum for the about 1000 threads regarding alignment and pull on a C230SS? Also what tires do you have? I ask because some tires tramline more than others!
Old 03-27-2006, 02:47 PM

thanks for the info....

It is definitely the alignment. I've tested it on several roadways, and the middle lane of a brand new expressway. I can bear straight, take my hands off the steering wheel and within several seconds the car begins to roll hard to the right. No problem with the left at all.

I did search the previous posts, however I was looking for some recent information. I don't want to go back to the dealer and have them tell me it was fixed in a previous model year. They have an answer for everything.

One of the dealers gave me a printout of the alignment settings showing me how the original dealer installed the bolt kit wrong. Supposedly it was corrected. Each time it has been aligned, within months it goes back to the hard pull to the right.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
Originally Posted by twohu1218
thanks for the info....

It is definitely the alignment. I've tested it on several roadways, and the middle lane of a brand new expressway. I can bear straight, take my hands off the steering wheel and within several seconds the car begins to roll hard to the right. No problem with the left at all.

I did search the previous posts, however I was looking for some recent information. I don't want to go back to the dealer and have them tell me it was fixed in a previous model year. They have an answer for everything.

One of the dealers gave me a printout of the alignment settings showing me how the original dealer installed the bolt kit wrong. Supposedly it was corrected. Each time it has been aligned, within months it goes back to the hard pull to the right.
And what tires are on it? Are the pressures set correctly? The only reason I had my 2003 aligned was due to it being covered for free in the first year and 12,000 miles. Mine did not pull other than the normal following the road crap. Then again I have driven quite a few cars with low profile tires in my life. Also I try to pick the correct tires so it does not tramline more than needed.