C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

C230K Coupé

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2001, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230K Coupé

I like this car, but I think MB should have taken a different approach with this car. What bothers me is that they market this car to 30 year old women. In my opinion they should have made this car a true sports coupe. They should have made the car lighter, make it have quicker steering, suspension modifications for a sporty really sporty handling, etc...
They should have just focused more on sport than luxury with this car, anyone else agree? Its still a great car though, but I would never get the coupe instead of the sedan. I guess what Im trying to say is this car should have been made to compete and beat cars like the WRX or RSX type-s.

Last edited by Blue Benz; 11-13-2001 at 05:50 PM.
Old 11-13-2001, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think they made it for forty year old men trying to attract 30 year old women.
Old 11-13-2001, 06:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C250 Coupe 2012
Well I am 59 years old and still think it's a sports car and just love it. It work for me.
Old 11-13-2001, 06:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
Re: C230K coupe

Originally posted by Blue Benz
What bothers me is that they market this car to 30 year old women.
what? son of a ... that's why it came w/ all those hormone shots!!! what the hell! now, i'm mad.

come on; didn't you see that sort of slacker looking guy driving the coupe? w/ the floating bag! come'on; that just screams out masculinity! the bag! what about the bag!
Old 11-13-2001, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
Originally posted by Buellwinkle
I think they made it for forty year old men trying to attract 30 year old women.
there are women? (shh... i hear my wife) :p
Old 11-13-2001, 06:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Unhappy

What's a "true sports coupe"? Remember that this is a Mercedes. There's no way that any 4-passenger car from them is going to weigh less than 3000 lbs. For this reason, they're never going to feel as tossable as the wrx or rsx. Of course, this weight results in a car that's much more safe and sturdy.
I would hope that every c230 owner would agree that they focused less on a *****-out sports coupe and more of a comfortable cruiser.

I don't think that most buyers would want a Benz that compromised what it's most famous for. I think that MB hit the mark pretty well with this car, it just depends on what you think they were shooting for.
Old 11-13-2001, 06:40 PM

Gotta see if this post shows up

I think that Tommy is right. I can't even picture a truly light Mercedes 4 seater.
Old 11-13-2001, 06:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

Red face Now I know I'm wrong

Someone's agreeing with me.
Old 11-13-2001, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
Lightbulb

I have to agree with Tommy. Having owned several muscle cars, sports cars and one wannabee sportscar, I think MB hit the mark (as evidenced by the demand for this ride). Personally, I would still like to see an All Wheel Drive version of the car, with a hint more oomph and tighter steering. But hey....no one ever said they wouldn't improve the product. Look at the C32 and SLK32...took 'em a few years to decide how to improve on those...I say give AMG a shot at this in a few years. Then let's talk about the next FIA World Rallye Championship....heheh
Old 11-13-2001, 07:26 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: C230K coupe

Originally posted by Blue Benz
I like this car, but I think MB should have taken a different approach with this car. What bothers me is that they market this car to 30 year old women. In my opinion they should have made this car a true sports coupe. They should have made the car lighter, make it have quicker steering, suspension modifications for a sporty really sporty handling, etc...
They should have just focused more on sport than luxury with this car, anyone else agree? Its still a great car though, but I would never get the coupe instead of the sedan. I guess what Im trying to say is this car should have been made to compete and beat cars like the WRX or RSX type-s.
Some of your complaints can be fixed. Change your suspension.
Old 11-13-2001, 07:36 PM

Yeah you guys make some valid points. But MB would not have to compromise that much. This was their chance to make a really sporty car, it was their chance to do something different. Isn't this car also intended for generally younger people (as well as 30 year old women ). Because all it is is just a C-class with 2 doors and a slightly different headlights and grill. I guess I just want to see something like the 190E 2.3-16 again. Oh well.........
Old 11-13-2001, 08:05 PM
Out Of Control!!

Thumbs up

For $25K? I don't think that they have the kinds of numbers that would warrant the kind of r&d that a car further from the c class sedan would demand.

As was said two posts above, a little money can cure many of the c230's ills, and a lot of money can cure all of 'em.

Also, no, I don't think that MB was going for the young audience that is flocking towards the wrx and rsx. From what I've read about their marketing plan, they were going for the 25-40 crowd for this car (which includes your dissed 30-yr-old woman).

Don't forget that for MB, this IS different. I'm just glad that they made a proper hatchback, and didn't wuss out and make a coupe out of it.
Old 11-13-2001, 08:33 PM

2002 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor Sports Coupe
I think Mercedes hit the nail on the head, personally.

Let me explain. I am exactly who they seek. I'm 35, working professional, married, with an income close to 100K. My current car was a 1993 Mazda Miata I've had since 1995 (when I was 30). I treat my car well and many people are amazed to learn the car is over 2 years old. I have autocrossed the car many times and have really gotten to appreciate a rear-wheel drive sports car.

However, a number of things have changed in my life. I have a young 18 month son. I am more successful now and I tend to hang out with an older more sophisticated crowd.

So, it was clear I had to replace my car. But I decided early on that I *still* wanted to buy a sports car. However, I also needed more space (four seats) and a little more luxury. My final requirement is that I didn't want to pay over $30K.

For about a year I've been looking at new cars. There are very few options. American car makers only offer me a Camaro (I'm not in high school any more), Firebird (I'm not in college any more), and a Mustang (too many and too boring). Mazda claims to have a rather cool RX-8 coming out, but not for another year.

I found myself looking at the Subaru WRX. I really liked it, but it was a little raw (lacking in the luxury realm). I also had some concerns about long term quality. I also considered the BMW MINI Cooper S, but the whole 'retro' thing isn't my style.

I was about to go with a WRX, with a definite feeling of compromise. I liked it, but I didn't LOVE it the same way I loved my Miata.

I then ran into the C230K Sports Coupe almost by accident. I saw the Motortrend coverage on TV. I looked it up, and slowly I began to realize that Benz had built a car that went directly to every feature I wanted. It was sporty (not the fastest car, but performance that was pretty decent and better than my Miata), true rear-wheel drive, seats four, and the price was right.

I test drove the car twice, second time was an extended 10 mile test drive by myself. It handled, shifted, and felt just like I wanted a car to be. I was hard pressed to find negatives. The weight was definitely NOT one of them. It might be 1,000 lbs more than my Miata (125 horsepower!), but you would not tell from the sure footed and peppy engine performance. I felt it could give me all the calm luxury I want in a long morning commute, but that on a quick downshift I could make do everything I wanted, even slide around a corner (Traction control-off of course)...

So for the same price as a Subaru WRX I have instead decided to get this car. I'm loosing some performance. But I'm gaining something that I truly feel I will love. Something that is making me very comfortable selling my Miata and connecting with the car enthusiast with me.

So for me, Benz got it 100% right. Which makes sense, since I am exactly who they want.

Rick
--
1993 Mazda Miata (present)
2002 C230 Sports Coupe (future)
Old 11-13-2001, 08:43 PM

Checking in with another perspective:
Judging by the posts on this thread, MB has done a pretty good job of appealing to a diverse group with the 230 coupe. We weren't particularly even in the market for a new car, but the "junk mail" intro caught the attention of fifty something me, forty something wife, and "just got her license" daughter . All three of us approved it for style, comfort and performance. Even away at college son, after reviewing MB web views, gave hearty approval. Not a bad feat for the designers.

Out here in rural CT, where the roads are winding, narrow, and mostly date from colonial times or earlier, mid range performance does fine, and safety and style are important too.

In my home town, we have a massive flagpole sitting right in the middle of the state highway (Main Street) running through town. Definately not your high performance roadways.

As a former Southern Californian who hads been in CT for 20 years, the more subtle elegance of the Benz is a nice fit for the New England conservatism. Can't wait to park it on Main Street in the spring. (silver of course--wouldn't Orion Blue clash terribly with those Colonial era colors).

(and thanks for tolerating my playful ventures into vB in messages)
Old 11-13-2001, 08:54 PM

black on black 2k2-230k auto/c1/c5/c7/k2c/COMAND/TELEAID/Stage II HIDS
mercedes did a great job with the coupe.... hell it has some flaws, could use more oomph, and maybe an indash cd changer (please get with the times) but all in all i am in love

i am 25, done with college now, and making a ok living, i have next to no debt, cept for the college loans, and my gsr is getting old.

The boy racer in me wanted the rsx, but 25k for a hopped up civic didnt fly.

So where was i gonna go??? to the BMW dealership and get me a 325. The same as all my rising star professional college friends.... ho hum.

I wouldnt even have gone into the mercedes dealership, cause i dont dig 4 doors, and the clk seemed out of my price range. But then the ad caught my eye, some web research, and a 7 hour test drive later....

black c230, everything but the hot seats.

greg
Old 11-13-2001, 09:52 PM

Not that it matters,but so far I've only ever seen guys driving C230 coupes in T.O. I plan on buying one myself once my current lease expires. I too was slightly concerned when initially investigating the car and reading many different road tests claiming "this is a car designed for 30 yr.old females earning 75k/yr".

Stick to refinement-Get A Benz.

BTW I'm a 30 year old guy.
Old 11-14-2001, 12:33 AM

2002 C230k
i agree with greg 230. i sorta have the same views. i added the s2000 to my choices, but i want a back seat (ya know). my coupe has arrived, and i am picking it up this monday. it's obsidian/oyster and everything but the hot seats too. i'm 22, and not a woman, so i guess the "marketing" did not get me.
Old 11-14-2001, 03:48 AM

CLK 430 Coupe + MGF + 1980 Camaro
Wink tommy is right..

but would still kill for c32 engined, lightweight, rollcadged 2 seater porsche rs style tarmac burning, m3 eatin' machine....

....at which point a 360 spider would be the cheap option.!