C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Anyone else have a hesitation in their new 240?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2001, 08:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ford Pinto
Anyone else have a hesitation in their new 240?

This problem has been driving me and my wife nuts for the longest time.

When backing out of our driveway, we go into drive (after coming to a complete stop) and then hit the gas. There is about 1 second of nothing, like the car has not realized we hit the gas. Anyone else have this problem?? We are pretty pissed about it and our dealership says nothing is wrong. They did change the MAF sensor but bot you and I know that has Zero to do with the car just sitting there. It was just a political we are doing something to try statement (which was nice).

Anyone else have this problem? Solutions?

We are not two footed drivers either. There is an actual TSB out on that.

Also, this is my first post on this board and I am glad I finally found one for Mercedes. I usually hang out at LS1.com and LS1Tech.com.

Thanks,

Eric
www.installuniversity.com
Old 12-15-2001, 10:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E320
I do not know specifically about this transmission but on the older ones (before the newer electronic ones), there was a definite delay put in the transmissions on USA cars when shifting from reverse to drive. This was to protect the transmission from the way USA drivers "abuse" their cars going from reverse to drive without a complete stop first. The German cars did not have the same delay because German drivers would never do this. Just repeating what I was told so don't blame me!
Old 12-15-2001, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can concur with the pause from reverse to drive as my E320 does the same thing. I have not tried to quickly shift my C but I do belive this is built in for the reason stated.

The way I found out about this with my E was trying to make a hasty broken-U turn and found that the pause slowed me up a bit. Now that I know about it it's fine.

JR
Old 12-15-2001, 10:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ford Pinto
I see your ponit on the abuse issue. I give my dodge dakota quad cab down the road in those situations.

However, on our 240, we only shift with completely stopped. Plus, it is my wifes car and she has always done that. It is very annoying. I guess we are we are stuck with it.

Thanks for the advice but I wish there was someway around it.

Eric
Old 12-15-2001, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
Delay

I did not notice anything like a one second delay in either the C 240 Auto I test drove or the manual C 240 I test drove later. The automatic felt less well connected than the manual, but the delay was not appreciable. In fact, the M6 car was pretty immediate for throttle response in all circumstances.

Maybe your car's adaptive automatic has "learned" some bad habits. Try disconnecting the battery for half an hour, reconnecting and then driving again. I think it's possible to teach the automatic transmission to adapt to your driving style and maybe starting from scratch would be beneficial. It's worth a try, if you don't mind resetting the clock, etc. Maybe ask your dealer to do it if you are not sure.
Old 12-15-2001, 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
I suppose the delay you're describing occurs after the "thunk" of the trans moving into drive. If it is something like a couple of people mentioned (to "protect" the trans), then if you engage "drive" and wait a few seconds before you even touch the accelerator, you could check if the delay is still present. If it is, then it seems like there's a problem with some throttle sensor (you know, it's a throttle-by-wire system). To me, this doesn't sound right. In any event, I'd ask your dealer to drive another 240 w/ auto, or try one at a different dealer. I've got a C240 6-spd, so I can't try it. I've noticed no delay in throttle response w/ mine.