C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

From Lancer to C230k

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From Lancer to C230k

Hi all my name is Joey, and I am about to buy a Silver c230. Back in November I totaled a Lancer, a lLancer that was BUILT it had everything on it... LOTS OF CARBON (I will post up pics shortly) So since November I have been looking for another car, Im pretty picky lol.

I found a C230 Kompressor that I really like, and I am going to buy it on monday. 6 spd with the moon roof. There is a few things I would like to ask about here in this thread:

1. Boost controller: Having Turbo, I know that this is important, but is it important with a supercharger? Also what is peak boost under stock conditions? Also what about a BOV?

2. Safc: Will I be able to controll my a/f ratio with in means?

3. Aftermarket Parts: Where? Who is the best?

4. Headunit: In the 230 it is round, will a normal dash kit slide into that din?

5. The person that I am buying from has it badged a 320, while that is cool and everything for him, its not for me. Is anyone shaving badges?

Please excuse me if some of these questions have been asked before, as Im sure they have and also if Im posting in the wrong part of the board.

Thanks in advance,
Joey
Old 04-28-2006, 11:13 AM

'14 CLA 45
Originally Posted by djautum
Hi all my name is Joey, and I am about to buy a Silver c230. Back in November I totaled a Lancer, a lLancer that was BUILT it had everything on it... LOTS OF CARBON (I will post up pics shortly) So since November I have been looking for another car, Im pretty picky lol.

I found a C230 Kompressor that I really like, and I am going to buy it on monday. 6 spd with the moon roof. There is a few things I would like to ask about here in this thread:

1. Boost controller: Having Turbo, I know that this is important, but is it important with a supercharger? Also what is peak boost under stock conditions? Also what about a BOV?

4. Headunit: In the 230 it is round, will a normal dash kit slide into that din?

5. The person that I am buying from has it badged a 320, while that is cool and everything for him, its not for me. Is anyone shaving badges?

Please excuse me if some of these questions have been asked before, as Im sure they have and also if Im posting in the wrong part of the board.

Thanks in advance,
Joey
honestly, i think you are looking at the wrong car unless you have some serious money to get some mods done. and all that $ then almost adds up to just buying the next bigger engine.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport

Thanks in advance,
Joey
Joey,

Not tryin' to "hate", but if you're "picky", then why did you have a Lancer out of all the cars you could've picked in that price range? I'm assuming it was an EVO, since you mention Turbo. If that's the case, then never mind...LOL. Otherwise, going from a Lancer to a 230 K SS is one of the best upgrades you'll ever make and a very good decision! Now some answers to your questions, that'll hopefully help:

1. Boost controller won't do much for you with the 230 K SS. The car is already boosting pretty high for what the engine can take. BOV would only be applicable on a turbo not a supercharger. Superchargers are more of a direct power supplier than turbos. There are gives and takes to both turbos or superchargers, but a BOV won't do anything for performance here.

2. The ECU in the supercharged m271 engine is very complicated and still has not been really "figured out" to date. There are several companies that are continually doing R&D. Therefore, power mods in which a/f ratio needs to be regulated differently (based on mods) has been difficult. Many people on here have been waiting for a "breakthrough", but it's still somewhat of a waiting game for a company to show significant gains.

3. Aftermarket parts? Many different companies selling many different parts (depending on what you're looking for). There are several of the MBWorld affiliates that provide great parts. Best thing is to search through the forums for each specific part (one at a time) (i.e. body kits, exhaust, intercooler, headers, etc...)

4. There are several people that have integrated aftermarket HU's, but just depends on your preference. Some people like having the stereo control through the steering wheel. If you go with an aftermarket HU, just assume that you will loose the functionality of controling the stereo (e.g. cd player; tape; ipod; etc...) through the steering wheel.

5. No need to shave. Mercedes badges (w/ exception to the star) are stuck on (no pins), so you won't need to shave anything. Just need fishing wire or floss (like many, but not all, JDM cars) and a good wax/polish job afterwards.

Hope that answers your questions or at least guides you in the right direction. Any type of mod you can think of, you can use the advanced search function and find a lot of old threads regarding aftermarket upgrades that you can post in and bring up (for many newbies and oldies, this is always a good thing to bring up old threads - rather than starting new ones and having it as a duplicate thread).

Welcome to the board and good luck with your purchase!

Drex
Old 04-28-2006, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
I'm guessing he had a lancer not a EVO, prolly a LANCER with the OZ package?

btw,

i'm pretty sure ur looking at the wrong car, I suggest you go for an acura or the sti

the c230k wouldnt have a BOV, imo if ur a then a Mercedes would not be the right car for you, unless u have a lot of money to invest. Theres not a lot of body kits to choose from, not a lot of ponies u can pump out with mods.

but if u want something nice and not ricey, the 230k 6 speed would be fun. But dun think it'll be "best street car in the world"
Old 04-28-2006, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Blimp
Hey man,

This is definitely not a car with abundant modification possibilities like your Evo. So far no real company has come up with anything more then 20hp gains costing over 2-5k. Really not worth it.. YET!

If you're looking to go all out like your EVO youer SOL! If you want something that really gives you bang for your buck, quality, and comfort wise, and dont forget the pimp status then the c230 is your best bet.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

One with 4 wheels
Originally Posted by advans
I'm guessing he had a lancer not a EVO, prolly a LANCER with the OZ package?

btw,

i'm pretty sure ur looking at the wrong car, I suggest you go for an acura or the sti

the c230k wouldnt have a BOV, imo if ur a then a Mercedes would not be the right car for you, unless u have a lot of money to invest. Theres not a lot of body kits to choose from, not a lot of ponies u can pump out with mods.

but if u want something nice and not ricey, the 230k 6 speed would be fun. But dun think it'll be "best street car in the world"
I have to agree. If you want more performance for the buck, maybe go for an EVO or STi. Even with mods a C230K is not going to be that fast and ricey.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:12 PM
Almost a Member!

C230K Coupe '04
YEP! The C230K is not like the toy car you had before. Sucks bro, you crashed your EVO?!v How?! AWD makes you feel like a god but you have to be a little more careful. That's ok I had a wrx before and I've come under the same situation as you have. I miss it.

Well, the C230K is definitely nothing like the monster an EVO or STi is no matter how much money you put into the merc. They don't have the finese and agression those turbo 2.0L AWDs have.

Mercs are the squishy spongey types that mostely like to gallop in a straight line. So if I were you, I'd go for another AWD turbo car.

Jon
Old 04-28-2006, 05:45 PM

LOL, Yes it was a 2003 Lancer Evolution, was is the key word here...
I was leaving a intersection during a green light, and a 16 year old girl (yes, it matters) ran her red light. She was in a newer Suburban, and ya she won.
My car was mangled and I was lucky to walk away from it.

So after it was all said and done, I started looking and driving alot of cars.
The new Evolution, Sti, and a few Srt4's Then I thought back to high school...
Ahhh yes, good times... But ya I had a 89 190e and I loved it. I drove that thing into the ground. Then moved on to a 95 525i. So it kinda makes sense to go with something that isnt really a race car.

But thinking like every other 23 year old, I still want something fast. Driving the 230k kinda makes sense for me. Its soft and seems sturdy, and its not painfully slow.

I called Renntech and another place here in Texas and didnt have much luck finding aftermarket parts. I found a pully and a ecu reflash. 25hp max @1400.00 from what they said. Giving me just a bit more boost.

Drex: There are pins under badging? like where it says 320? The problem is it is a 230 and BADGED as a 320.

Question: What is stock boost for the 230k Sports coupe? How much could it take without building the bottom end?
Old 04-28-2006, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
1) As drex, aka mozart balla (MB Drex) , said; there are no pins.
2) Build the bottom end if you wish. Other than that you might want to explore the search function. All of that has been gone over numerous times.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:13 PM

OMG, Thank you soooooooo much for pointing out that there is a search button. That is soooooooo nice of you. I actually joined this forum so I could have someone like you point out a search feature for me. Well, I guess my job here is done!

Originally Posted by amdeutsch
1) As drex, aka mozart balla (MB Drex) , said; there are no pins.
2) Build the bottom end if you wish. Other than that you might want to explore the search function. All of that has been gone over numerous times.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Drex: There are pins under badging? like where it says 320? The problem is it is a 230 and BADGED as a 320.

Question: What is stock boost for the 230k Sports coupe? How much could it take without building the bottom end?
Nah, I was referring to pins under certain cars (i.e. My old MX-6 used to have pins under the badging), so you had to have the holes filled in and repainted.

The 320 badge should be a stick on where you can just slide some fishing wire behind it and the badge should come off (3 separate numbers) and you're pretty much done (aside from having to polish and wax to get the excess adhesive off).

As for the stock boost on the 230k Sports coupe?...Hmmm, well I'm not sure about the 2001-2002 (which had a m111 2.3 liter supercharged i4), but its been debated between 7lbs vs. 11lbs on the m271 engine. Not positive though. You're probably better off searching for that one, cuz I know there's a relatively new thread about it somewhere.

As for the EVO being crushed the way it was, Oh man, that really sucks. Glad you made it out okay. My cousin has an EVO, so even though I know the car is such a great performance car, it does scare me of all the horror stories I've heard.

BTW, going from an EVO to a 230K SS or coupe will not be enjoyable as far as performance is concerned. Basically, it would be like going from a Ducati to a 10 speed pedal bicycle.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by drexappeal
going from an EVO to a 230K SS or coupe will not be enjoyable as far as performance is concerned. Basically, it would be like going from a Ducati to a 10 speed pedal bicycle.
That is a very true. Im not looking for 500 whp, just some ideas that get me thinking MB. The motor is just what comes to mind first

As for the EVO it was a pretty hard impact, like i said I was lucky to walk away. Honestly though, Im very suprised it did as well as it did. I dont wanna try again lol.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:42 PM
Almost a Member!

C230K Coupe '04
teenager + suburban =
Old 04-28-2006, 08:39 PM

2005 Obsidian Black C230 Komp Sports Sedan, 2006 Iridium Silver ML350 SUV
C32 sounds more like a car for you...(for the price range)
but if u wnat something brand new the new C350 6spd is good choice.
you get a 2006, and 6spd. and 268hp...
but if you are mod crazy, i suggest you get an A4 2.0T or even 330i would be more mod-friendly

Last edited by blkc230k; 04-28-2006 at 08:41 PM.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

As for the EVO it was a pretty hard impact, like i said I was lucky to walk away. Honestly though, Im very suprised it did as well as it did. I dont wanna try again lol.
Seriously, my cousin has a 2005 EVO MR and he's told me about a bunch of horror stories that have been posted about EVO's getting totaled.

Seriously though, I know you're not looking for the 500 whp that you'd attain with an EVO, but if you want a good balance and you can afford it, look for a pre-owned C32. It'll be well worth the money and a good combo of power and luxury. If I could've afforded it, that's what I would have now, but had to settle for the lowly 230 (which I'm still happy with and spending a lot of money on anyway...LOL).
Old 04-29-2006, 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)

Thanks in advance,

Joey
If its the 2003 and up C230 steer clear of it. The M271 is a ***** to mod. Not even the feared AMG badge or fake C23 and C32 lettering can make it go like stink.

The 2002 version uses an SLK motor, and is much more mod friendly.
Old 04-29-2006, 01:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
Originally Posted by BleedzMerc
teenager + suburban =

correction... teenage GIRL + suburban=
Old 04-29-2006, 02:41 AM
Almost a Member!

2002 C230
I would highly recommend the A4 2.0T with the APR ecu upgrade. The 230 is exciting to drive and it turns alot of heads but not the "get up and go" type car your looking for. If you want class, moderate power, and acceptional resale value then the C is for you. Good luck and sorry to hear about the EVO.