C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe
View Poll Results: C230, a poor man's Mercedes?
Yes
44.19%
NO
55.81%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

C230, poor man's Mercedes?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2002, 06:07 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to add my $0.02 here...I think in a marketing sense, the C230K is not a poor man's mercedes, but a market expansion car. I, being 24, am one of the core people this car is marketed to. I don't know how many guys my age out there are looking for what most people would consider a family sedan...really, unless you are talking at least a C-Class AMG sedan, most guys my age wouldn't even look at it. (At least the guys that don't have families yet, this also coming from personal experience) This car is more marketed to people who are looking for a nice step up from what they previously purchased, but are more concerned with value than showing an image. I myself bought the car because it had a lot of the features I was looking for, was much nicer IMHO than cars that it competes against, and is backed by a company that IMHO has a very good reputation and is very interested in keeping it. To be honest, Mercedes is viewed in the US and most of North America as being a premium car, and for better or worse is held to a higher level of value by many people. This is a good thing because it can be much better to buy a smaller or less expensive model car from a premium brand than a more expensive or larger model from a non-premium brand car. When I was looking at the Chevy Avalanche and the Cadillac Escalade EXT, they are the same car (truck whatever) but there is a good $15,000 price premium before you start putting options on the Cadillac. But the difference I got in service from the one dealer to the other was amazing. That extra money really buys you into a different experience because of how GM wants you to view the car.

What this all boils down to is that I know I may not have the fanciest MB on the lot, and it wasn't the one I came into the dealership looking to buy, but it IS a Mercedes and the company will back it like a Mercedes. They know, as well as I do, that if they make me upset by not supporting this car that they are marketing as a first of many Mercedes for people my age, they have a huge reputation to back up. As far as that goes, I've had a great experience with everything with this car, and if the amount of postage and mailings they sent me are any indication of their concern with my experience, I have no worries about MBUSA holding up their end of the bargain. Basically, I love this car and I don't care if people look at me more or less because of it. Besides, most people I know give me crap about it and call it a BMW anyway just because they are putting a status on it that is higher than I do.

Well, I've probably dropped more like $0.25 of opinion today, but I just thought some real conversation should happen in this thread...besides, I love debating things. What it all boils down to is I don't really car if people think this is a "lower class" or "cheap" Mercedes because it is more than a step up from anything I've been driving, not that I've had bad cars, they've just been American cars and we all know I'm sure the quality ratings there. Anyway, I'm glad I have a car backed by a huge company, and the fact that it happens to be prestigious has only helped me more...and as far as my dealership, they treat me no differently and any time I've had it in for questions or service so far, all the people in the waiting area have been very curious about my car and very considerate. I think the only people who really look down on the car are those from outside who don't own any MB, and the people who are calling it a poor MB are only looking at it based on price. I rode in an SLK, which is what I was considering buying, and for the extra money it cost I didn't think it was justified...I'm much happier with the all glass roof and I got to save some money to boot.

well, enough for now...

"poor" dave
Old 08-20-2002, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Originally posted by slkride
ever think that they're just sparing your feelings? happens all the time. if you think about it, you probably have done it too.
damn, what a troll you are... enjoy your being "rich", then...

Last edited by vadim; 08-21-2002 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-20-2002, 07:01 PM
taylor192

Originally posted by Accord
Whether you like it or not, the C-Coupe is considered the "poorman's mercedes' in the United States by the public and dealerships. In Europe, the C-Coupe is not considered the poormans mercedes, infact nobody in Europe considers any Mercedes-Benz vehicle to be a "poormans" model, only people in North America.
This is so true... but MB originally had to make the decision to bring it over and market it here. Just because MB made that decision states that MB does not consider this car to be bad for its image, and thus even MB doesn't consider this a "poor man's car".

I agree with Duffer, the original poll was worded incorrectly. When I hear the phrase "poor man's car" it is usually comparing a model of one make versus another make, like "the TT is a poor man's Porsche", but there is "the Boxster is a poor man's Porsche" so either argument can hold true, I guess... but why would anyone with a MB want to admit their are "poor" versions of the brand they drive? Even If I owned a CLK/SLK/E/M/S/SL/AMG, I'd be proud of all MBs.

le848dave, I'm with you, 23 and this car is a sporty MB, otherwise I'd be in a RSX/WRX or something else right now, sedans aren't appealing and a SLK is not winter drivable.

and slkride, I've got 2 things for you:

1. The 230K shares all the same drivetrain components with your SLK (used to have the same 2.3L Kompressor), and it has 4 seats and costs less. So one night when I meet 3 kinky girls at the bar, I can pack them into my car and go home to a fun night, if you meet even 2 girls, you have no way to get them home, and may get ditched for a cab! How would that feel?

2. I know many girls with opinions on both the C230K and the SLK models, they consider both cars CUTE!

So like it or not, my C230K and your SLK are both CUTE GIRL'S CARS, how do you like that label slapped on you and what you drive?

To everyone else, I don't consider the C230K a "cute girl's car", but if you've never had a girl tell you your C230K is cute, you will, and when it happens, just remember, its still a MB!

Old 08-20-2002, 07:04 PM

damn, what a troll you are... enjoy your being rich, then...

Driving a SLK hardly classifies him as being rich. It's like someone said earlier, he is just encouraging this debate to make himself feel better about leasing a car that makes him feel superior to C-230 drivers.

If you havent picked up on it already SLK you are subjected as being a troll, and I dont know about the others but I am going to find it hard to take anything further you say seriously whether it be this thread or the next. You have said what you need, take a hint and stop making yourself look any dumber than you have already.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 08-20-2002, 07:19 PM

Talking Entertainment

This is the best entertainment that I have read in years.
Old 08-20-2002, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
ever think that they're just sparing your feelings? happens all the time. if you think about it, you probably have done it too.
Is this guy for real? Does he even own an SLK? He reminds more of the Honduh trolls...

He's got like 15posts...I doubt he's even an MB owner.

And about the SLK, I never did care for the looks of the car, looks rather stubby and awkward, but hey, if it makes you feel better about your rich self, enjoy. I think your level of snobbery would be better served in some sort of Lexus, or that overpriced "big" Acura, the RL.

BTW, is an Acura a Rich mans Honda?
Old 08-20-2002, 08:26 PM

And about the SLK, I never did care for the looks of the car, looks rather stubby and awkward, but hey, if it makes you feel better about your rich self, enjoy. I think your level of snobbery would be better served in some sort of Lexus, or that overpriced "big" Acura, the RL.
While the SLK is a great car, if I were in the market for a roadster I'd go for the SL or CLK Cabrio without giving the SLK a second thought.
Old 08-20-2002, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 BMW M6, 2008 Ducati 1098, 2008 Ducati Monster S2R1000, 1971 Ducati Scrambler
If the SLK had Comand offered as an option, I would have an SLK32 AMG on order right now rather than a C32 AMG. I love the SLK32 AMG, the driving experience is purely awesome. I would take an SLK32 AMG over an SL500, CLK, CL, or any other type of Mercedes-Benz, any day. The only reason I didn't get one is because Comand was not offered... and for my purposes, Comand is a must.

The SL500 is over $100,000 fully loaded, and SLK32 AMG is around $62k fully loaded. The SLK is considered the baby version of the SL; just like the C-Class is consdered the baby S-Class. I would much rather have a $60k car that is fun to drive than than a $100k car that is boring. I feel I made a mistake in purchasing the S500, but in three months I will have my C32 AMG.

I am downgrading my car to a C32 AMG for the sole reason that the S500 is a boring car to drive.

As far as the C-Coupe and SLK looking "girley," that is all the more reason to purchase one! Isn't that the point of being young and driving a Mercedes? Nomatter how you look at it... it always comes down to impressing the ladies!

Last edited by Accord; 08-20-2002 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-20-2002, 09:04 PM

The SL500 is over $100,000 fully loaded, and SLK32 AMG is around $62k fully loaded. The SLK is considered the baby version of the SL; just like the C-Class is consdered the baby S-Class. I would much rather have a $60k car that is fun to drive than than a $100k car that is boring. I feel I made a mistake in purchasing the S500, but in three months I will have my C32 AMG.
Out of curiosity, do you think the SLK is a better drive than the SL? Or is that statement based on the price difference?
Old 08-20-2002, 09:27 PM

2002 CL500
are you as dumb as you sound?
Shut the **** up, the only dumb person here is you, trying to prove something it's not. All the "yes" votes here are forged - just browse through all the messages and you'll see that everyone dissagrees with you (except for 1-2 people).
Old 08-20-2002, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 BMW M6, 2008 Ducati 1098, 2008 Ducati Monster S2R1000, 1971 Ducati Scrambler
Originally posted by 230

Out of curiosity, do you think the SLK is a better drive than the SL? Or is that statement based on the price difference?
The SLK32 AMG is without a doubt a better drive than the SL500. The SLK32 AMG weights roughly 1000 pounds less than the SL500, however it has 50 more horsepower. I can't speak for the SL55 AMG because I have never driven one, but the SLK32 AMG is definetly more fun to drive than an SL500.

The SLK32 AMG was also the fastest Mercedes-Benz vehicle produced up until this years release of the SL55 AMG. Most magazines report the SLK32 AMG having a 0-60 time of anywhere between 4.6 and 5.0... the few magazines who have already tested the SL55 AMG reported it anywhere from between 4.7 and 5.2. The SL55 has a monsterous 150hp advantage over the SLK32 AMG, but it also weights 1000 pounds more.

In the lifetime of the SLK32, and I don't think it received the proper respect that it deserves. I really wish the SLK had Comand offered as an option, but it doesn't.
Old 08-20-2002, 09:36 PM

In the lifetime of the SLK32, and I don't think it received the proper respect that it deserves. I really wish the SLK had Comand offered as an option, but it doesn't.
Thanks for clearing that up, how come you never looked into an aftermarket option for the NAV?
Old 08-20-2002, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You can't integreate the V60, voice control, etc. all into an aftermarket nav.
Old 08-20-2002, 10:09 PM

You can't integreate the V60, voice control, etc. all into an aftermarket nav.
Pardon my ignorance, wasnt thinking. Thanks
Old 08-20-2002, 10:43 PM

2008 E 350
Wow this has to be one of the most popular threads here.
Anyway, I figure, I can atleast add my 2 cents before it too gets lost in the shuffle.

There's no such thing as a poor man's Mercedes. I know of 3 people that drive a Nissan Maxima. Once in a while they tell me that its a "cheap" version of Mercedes. But I tell'em this, "u can upgrade your Maximas all u want, but until you upgrade to a Mercedes, your car aint ****." And I firmly believe in that. You can buy the less expensive cars and try to upgrade their parts and so on and on, but when you want to really impress people, you just roll up in a Benz. Sometimes it doesn't even matter whether its an old type or not, you can automatically sense people checking out your car. I know, personally, everytime I'm at a red light, people crossing the street will always take a glimpse at my whip. And why? Because its a Benz. Thats fact.
Old 08-20-2002, 11:04 PM
taylor192

Originally posted by Accord
As far as the C-Coupe and SLK looking "girley," that is all the more reason to purchase one! Isn't that the point of being young and driving a Mercedes? Nomatter how you look at it... it always comes down to impressing the ladies!
Absolutely true, its all comes down to getting laid!

I just offered it up as another viewpoint for those who look down upon C230K owners as "poor" for not being able to afford a more expensive model, some "macho" "real" men will look down on SLK owners for having a "girlie" car.

Moral of the story, no matter what you own, people will look down on you, so F***'em all, its your car!

Real moral of the story, drive whatever you want, I got laid with a bus pass, or a 1990 rusting Camry, and I'll get laid in my C230K when I get it.

BTW anyone have comments about back seat room for "having fun"? That's somthing the SLK doesn't have! a back seat!

Old 08-20-2002, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
C230 Sports Coupe
Originally posted by taylor192
BTW anyone have comments about back seat room for "having fun"? That's somthing the SLK doesn't have! a back seat!
That SLK ****** doesnt have to worry about it. It only takes 2 hands. One to hold the playboy mag , and the other to, well you know. His back seat, or lack thereof, won't be an issue. Cause when I come pulling up in my Coupe I'll get his ladies.
Old 08-21-2002, 01:04 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!

dude, you're funny too. so you're saying i signed up for 40+ email accounts just to vote? are you as dumb as you sound?

ever heard of typos? you sound desperate to bring this up in your losing argument. whenever someone brings up a pointless statement like this, they're just grasping for something to hold on to.

porsche and audi shouldn't even be used in a same sentence. don't make comparisons about a poor man's xx product to a different maker. a boxster is a poor man's porsche not an audi TT.

just accept the label "poor man's mb" because that's how people think of the cheapest (pricewise) model. are you just in denial? i say YES YOU ARE!
i hope u dont start to cry from all these negative remarks aimed to u. :p :p :p

by the way u never answered my first question what model SLK do u have?????????
Old 08-21-2002, 05:30 AM
Almost a Member!

S55 AMG

AMG4ME: you're just too funny. probably funny looking too. where you do come up with all these assumptions?

if you can read, i never said the c230 was a bad car. i just said that i agree that the c230 is labelled as a poor man's merc. get it? as jackie chan said in rush hour 2 "do u understand the words that's coming out of my mouth?" judging by the way you responded, you sound like you own a c230. why are you getting so defensive?

and one more thing. LOOK AT THE POLL!
Those ain't no assumptions dude, if I started a poll asking whether people think you are a mummy's little geek boy I think the poll would be unanimous (not including the 40+ other account you have registered). It wouldn't matter whether you are or not because ITS THE POLL THAT MATTERS!! LOL

No buddy, I own a Honda Civic and proud of it but I reckon I will buy a C230K soon, not because I like it but just so to annoy you.

"...why are you getting so defensive?", "Why is he getting so defensive!" "Why are they getting so defensive?" BLAH BLAH BLAH. You're starting to sound like a broken record. If you can't make a persuasive arguement, that can be universally applied then you'd better just stick to your "Look at the poll" line, and frankly, if you post your picture I indeed would be able to look at the poll!!

BTW I saw a guy riding an MB bicylce today - now that's really a poor man's MB hey SLK?! So I stuck my head out the window and through an empty bottle of coke at him in your honor. Can I hang around you now, pleeeeeeaase?

what's up with all the name calling? very immature to do that simply because one disagrees. i hope that's not how some of you handle situations in real life.
Whehey! A geek and a hypocrite! Man you just keep getting better and better!! You are the bastion of integrity and humility (traits that I too aspire to have in my next life!). It sounds like the way you go about life is looking down on others by pointing out useless observations. Do you want me to quote that line where you said you laughed at people driving C230s? Naaah, that would just be immature wouldn't it. But hey I am immature so here goes:

from my perspective, i definitely think the c230k is a poor man's benz. all of my friends share the same opinion as i do. they actually laugh at the car because it reminds them of the wannabe bimmer 318 hatchback. ... why is this case any different? people wanting to be into the mb crowd will mostly be the ones getting this.
Mate, in all honesty, I like your style. Your wit is one in a million (but your only half way there!)

Keep it coming matey boy...I'm having a ball!

MB-BOB, I'm just having some fun so easy on the censor button!
Old 08-21-2002, 08:41 AM
taylor192

Originally posted by TimmyC230boy

That SLK ****** doesnt have to worry about it. It only takes 2 hands. One to hold the playboy mag , and the other to, well you know. His back seat, or lack thereof, won't be an issue. Cause when I come pulling up in my Coupe I'll get his ladies.
In 2 weeks you may have to watch out, I'll be pulling up beside you taking your ladies...

So TimmyC230boy, any "war" stories from the bar to tell? I'm interested to hear some real "kill stories" from the back seat of the C230K!

Old 08-21-2002, 09:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
SHUT UP ALREADY!!! JEEZ!
Old 08-21-2002, 09:42 AM

C32 AMG
Originally posted by taylor192

In 2 weeks you may have to watch out, I'll be pulling up beside you taking your ladies...

So TimmyC230boy, any "war" stories from the bar to tell? I'm interested to hear some real "kill stories" from the back seat of the C230K!
Okay, I agree that there are a few advantages to having a back seat, but let's not get carried away. You seem to have a blatent disregard for the Ferrari / Lamboghini or even Benz's SL / CL. Now with all factors being equal, these driver's will have your females waiting in line on the curb. Think about it, there are probably more more guys with backseats than two-seaters who date nothing else but their hand. Stay with the topic, it has nothing to do with "GAME".
Old 08-21-2002, 11:01 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
The more I think about this topic, the more I start to believe that if you could ask an Daimler-Chrysler Exec, he/she would tell you the Coupe is a "poor man's MB," and he would say so with pride. Let me explain.

In 1967, I had an opportunity to buy an Aston Martin DB5 for $7500 (James Bond Silver to boot). It was too much money back then, when new Corvette Convertibles were selling for less than $5K. However, at least the Aston Martin WAS doable, if I wanted to splurge (and could have begged my dad for the extra money).

Ferraris, Maseratis, and Lotus' were also touchable in the '60s... not easy to find, but not horribly expensive.

Today, these cars are completely out of the question for me... totally in EXOTIC territory. IMO, this is because these manufacturers have chosen to cater only to the extremely wealthy, without regard to maintaining accessibliity to the mass market. The result is that these manufacturers today teter on the verge of going out of business... Maserati is barely in business, Lotus is in nearly the same shape, Ferrari makes barely 2,000 cars a year, and Aston Martin less than 800 or so. IMO, Aston, Maserati and Lotus will all be gone within the next 10-years.

Other manufacturers have tried to avoid the Duesenberg legacy by offering cars that cater to a larger audience that keeps the boat afloat. Whether you call them "entry-level" or "Poor man's" this or that, the corporate goal is to provide cars that generate enough money to keep the business alive.

Porsche is a very good example of this. Absent the front engine cars of the 80's, Porsche would have entered EXOTIC car territory years ago. And without today's Boxster, Porsche's "entry level" car (the 911, selling for $70K-$90K) puts the whole company on the short ramp to EXOTIC car obscurity. Keeping the more affordable car in the inventory keeps Porsche in the mass market game, at least for now

Keeping their cars accessible is what keeps a car company in business. Considering that more than 60% of all MBs sold in the US have base prices less than $45K (C, ML, SLK) illustrates that MB not only needs, but relies on these "entry level" cars for it's masss market survival. Hence, IMO, Daimler-Chrysler is only too happy to sell you their "poor man's" MB... by design. Without it, MB would be on the way of joining the Dodo bird in extinction.

Last edited by MB-BOB; 08-21-2002 at 12:32 PM.
Old 08-21-2002, 11:03 AM
taylor192

Originally posted by Boo2
Okay, I agree that there are a few advantages to having a back seat, but let's not get carried away. You seem to have a blatent disregard for the Ferrari / Lamboghini or even Benz's SL / CL. Now with all factors being equal, these driver's will have your females waiting in line on the curb. Think about it, there are probably more more guys with backseats than two-seaters who date nothing else but their hand. Stay with the topic, it has nothing to do with "GAME".
Come on, what's wrong with lightening the mood? Its become a little too serious, just look a Rick, he's flipping out when all he really had to do was close the window and not read the posts.

BTW it has everything to do with the "game", we wouldn't even be having this conversation if someone hadn't started by saying the C230K is a "poor man's car", otherwise why would they even care if it's a "poor man's car" if they weren't trying to distinguish themselves from the "poor men" of the world.

Just because you don't have "game" don't complain

Old 08-21-2002, 12:39 PM

C32 AMG
Originally posted by MB-BOB
Porsche is a very good example of this. Absent the front engine cars of the 80's and the Boxster today, Porsche's "entry level" 911 sells for $70K-$90K, which puts the whole company on the short ramp to EXOTIC car obscurity. Keeping the more affordable cars in the inventory keeps Porsche in the mass market game, at least for now
It's funny you should mention this, there was an article on the front page of the journal about Porsche. Porsche is the most profitable car company in the WORLD. It has a 13.2% profit margin; second place goes to (sorry) BMW at 8%. GM's figures were a lousy 0.77% (yes, not even 1%). To top it all off, Porsche sits on almost $1 billion in cash and carries no bank debt. Porsche only produces around 56,000 cars a year, but since it is in the upper-bracket price range, they enjoy much higher margins.

... Maserati is barely in business, Lotus is in nearly the same shape, Ferrari makes barely 2,000 cars a year, and Aston Martin less than 800 or so. IMO, Aston, Maserati and Lotus will all be gone within the next 10-years.

Not sure about the lifespan of Lotus, but Maserati has a new $90,000 roadster that MAY do okay. Aston Martin is owned by Ford so that high niche market should still be in play since Ford can just ramp production up or down according to demand.

The more I think about this topic, the more I start to believe that if you could ask an Daimler-Chrysler Exec, he/she would tell you the Coupe is a "poor man's MB," and he would say so with pride...

Keeping it accessible is what keeps a car company in business. Considering that more than 60% of all MBs sold in the US have base prices less than $45K (C, ML, SLK) illustrates that MB not only needs, but relies on these "entry level" cars for it's masss market survival. Hence, IMO, Daimler-Chrysler is only too happy to sell you their "poor man's" MB... by design. Without it, MB would be on the way of joining the Dodo bird in extinction.
I agree with this. Has nothing to do with quality. Bottom line is bottom line. Mercedes has been eyeing the success of the lower car market for a while and just wants a piece of the action. They don't care who buys as long as people buy. They keep the "rich and poor" happy by offering different classes at different prices.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: C230, poor man's Mercedes?