C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe
View Poll Results: C230, a poor man's Mercedes?
Yes
44.19%
NO
55.81%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

C230, poor man's Mercedes?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2002, 08:43 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230, poor man's Mercedes?

i am sure with introduction of C230 & a tag of under $3,0000. MB was able to attract a different crowd of ppl to own a MB.

but is C230 a true MB? standard model with no leather, no CD, no power seat etc....a hatch back? what u think?

ENDING POLE 8/16/02 something to say~

well, i don't have to say any more coz 41% of ppls agree dat c230k is as cheap as they looks (maybe not the owner, who knows and who cares other than themselves)~ and 59% of ppls don't~

forums are places where ppl can post their opinions and see how others will react~ for those of u getting so angery @ my opinion, u guyz sure entertained me very much & i like to say thank u~ 84 posts on my pole~

Last edited by psun786; 08-16-2002 at 08:15 PM.
Old 08-15-2002, 08:49 PM

c230 Coupe
all you have to do is drive it and get that solid feeling that no other car provides.
Old 08-15-2002, 09:17 PM

black on black 2k2-230k auto/c1/c5/c7/k2c/COMAND/TELEAID/Stage II HIDS
i love my c230, but within the next 1-2 model years i fear i will be giving her up.... for a clk 500

Drove one today, and its AWESOME. the v8 sounds so luscious.

However, the 55 thousand dollar MB didnt feel THAT much different then my 230k. Switchgear is similiar, the feel is similiar, it was like a fancier version of my car, in fact it was a little less mb then mine, it lacked the phone, comand, and a cd changer

Last edited by greg230; 08-15-2002 at 09:20 PM.
Old 08-15-2002, 09:27 PM
taylor192

Re: C230, poor man's Mercedes?

Originally posted by psun786
but is C230 a true MB? standard model with no leather, no CD, no power seat etc....a hatch back? what u think?
ummmmm I'd like to say F**K OFF, but I'll phrase it differently.

First, MB has an A class, just because its not offered in the US doesn't mean there aren't cheaper priced MBs.

Second, My C230K is going to cost me $41K CND, which is more than a C240. Sure its not a $59K CLK, but its all about building brand loyalty and getting new buyers, and making more money, so:

If my first car was a Toyota, I'd end up buying a Lexus.
If my first car was a VW, I'd end up buying an Audi.
If my first car was a Nissan, I'd end up buying an Infiniti.
If my first car was a Ford, I'd end up buying a Lincoln.
If my first car was a Chevy, I'd end up buying a Cadillac.

Get the hint? Its about building brand loyalty.

Old 08-15-2002, 09:34 PM

2002 C230K
my first car was a nissan
Old 08-15-2002, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230 Sports Coupe
Its a Mercedes for crying out loud. I mean dang it! I agree with Taylor192 but I will also rephrase it.
Do you even have a C230? I Are you some ***** from a Bimmer board. If I buy a used CLK or SLK thats under $30K is that a poor mans Mercedes?
Old 08-15-2002, 10:14 PM
Deb

2002 C230K Sport Coupe
Re: C230, poor man's Mercedes?

Originally posted by psun786
i am sure with introduction of C230 & a tag of under $3,0000. MB was able to attract a different crowd of ppl to own a MB.

Well, I'm sorry to say so, but if I understand your question, I think it is an utterly arrogant question. 1) I'm neither poor, nor a man 2) Leather, CD, power seats...can be had on almost any car nowadays. Those features do not make the car a MB. IMO, safety, engineering and solid drive are the features that characterize MB. I bought the C230k because it is a hatchback. I wanted a good, sporty hatchback and the c coupe was the one I liked best. The fact that it was a MB was a bonus.
Deb
Old 08-15-2002, 10:17 PM

'05 c240 4matic wagon
Hey, I remark that resent!

I may be poor, but somehow I don't feel it when driving my C230K. A Jaguar with cloth seats may be a no-no, but a Benz is not about leather & wood to me. Being from Benzland, I've enjoyed too many without leather, which is overrated in my view. If the cloth is nicely done I prefer it over leather. Although I must admit that Tommy's smurf hide seats and shift boot are very tempting!!!
I drove a new E-class Avantgarde CDI last summer on the Autobahn, and frankly, the Coupe feels like it's in the same class as far as materials, solidity, and workmanship. Any quality complaints must be due to the complexity and the electronics. No excuse, but that will naturally increase chances something goes wrong. I'm sure that goes for the higher-end models, too, although I haven't done any research to that effect, lazy ******* that I am. So again, I'm a poor man driving a rich-feeling car, that's that. If that's not enough prestige for you, get a Cadillac!
Old 08-15-2002, 10:20 PM

'02 C230K Coupe
Yes, just because C230k may be the least expensive (not cheapest) MB in the US, it doesn't mean that it's bought for the price. The sporty nature of the car was the big draw for me. And after driving a $55k ML320 for 3 years, why can't I have the option of getting a less expensive car? Deb hits it on the mark, that's a very very arrogant question to be stating on a board like this. You make it seem as if C230k owners don't even deserve to call themselves MB owners. So what if it attracts the "lower people"? It's great for MB, and it's great for the buyers.

Last edited by preyx; 08-15-2002 at 10:54 PM.
Old 08-15-2002, 10:23 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
psun786, there are members from other forums on this site that would describe your C320 as a poor man's Mercedes, too.

Like you, I own a C320, and I've driven a Coupe as well. I'll tell you frankly, sitting in the driver's seat and looking forward, you can't tell a dime's difference between the two, plus they have the same build feel, same ride quality, etc.

There was a member with an E-Class posting several months ago that he traded his E on the C-Sedan, because it had the same feel as his E, and he enjoyed driving the C-Class more. So, where does that leave us? Basically, a MB is a MB. It's all good.
Old 08-15-2002, 10:24 PM

'05 c240 4matic wagon
Re: Re: C230, poor man's Mercedes?

Originally posted by taylor192

If my first car was a Toyota, I'd end up buying a Lexus.
If my first car was a VW, I'd end up buying an Audi.
If my first car was a Nissan, I'd end up buying an Infiniti.
If my first car was a Ford, I'd end up buying a Lincoln.
If my first car was a Chevy, I'd end up buying a Cadillac.

Get the hint? Its about building brand loyalty.
If my first car was a Chrysler, I'd end up buying a Mercedes?!? Hehe...
Old 08-15-2002, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 BMW M6, 2008 Ducati 1098, 2008 Ducati Monster S2R1000, 1971 Ducati Scrambler
I am trading my S-Class in for a C-Class, why you ask? Because the C32 is a LOT more fun to drive than my boring S500.

Yes - the C32 is an AMG, but it is also still a C-Class.

Last edited by Accord; 08-15-2002 at 10:32 PM.
Old 08-15-2002, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 VW GTI
Originally posted by Accord
I am trading my S500 for a C32 AMG. Why? Because I enjoy driving the C32 much more than the boring S500.

Yes - the C32 is an AMG, but it is still also a C-Class. I am trading my S-Class in for a C-Class.
i'd still love to know how you afford all this.

you are capitalism's poster child.
Old 08-15-2002, 10:33 PM

MB C230 Sport Coupe Kompressor
Angry "Low End"?...

First off...

I'm 26, work VERY hard and the c230 is my FIRST car. It's not easy taken the TTC ( all you toronto peoples now what i mean ) for 25 years and then turn around and by a MERCEDES-BENZ.

It is insulting to hear the term "low end". My c230 ended up costing me over $48K... If you don't own a Mercedez, you'll never be able to understand the "Feeling" you have when you sit in the car and drive, the speed limit mind you so people can see. I haven't seen may on the road, which makes mine a deffinate looker. I even considered the 325ci, but the fact is BMW is everywhere, common is something i was NOT going for. I feel pride to the fact that i drive a MB, base model or option filled. The funnt thing is, even the base model is BETTER equipped than a BMW, LEXUS to some respects regarding safety/security...

Don't call this a "poor man's MB"... It's a slap in the face to MB, and the owners who take pride in their accomplishments.

Regardless of what model MB you drive, It's an MB, it will retain it's value for a looong time and put a sense of joy during my driveing time. $50K ain't cheap! Definately NOT a poor mans car...

Don't knock the hustle...
Old 08-15-2002, 10:42 PM

Thats like saying "Vantage, poor man's Aston Martin?"

Get real, I'm 18 years old and drive a nicer car than most kids my age that I know. Any mercedes benz is a high class car in its own right. Theres nothing poor about it (other than that damn tape deck in the hu:p )

Last edited by 230; 08-15-2002 at 10:45 PM.
Old 08-15-2002, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
C230 Sports Coupe
Last time I checked you can deck a C230 out for about $47K american. Yup Thats the poor mans Benz! GET REAL. The decked out C240 is only about 3 grand more.

This is to PSUN786: would it be fair to say that you have the poor mans C320, or dare I saw the Poor mans E Class, or How about the Poor Mans S Class. the coupers have the top of the light hatchback, you on the other hand have the cheapest 4 door sedan Mercedes makes. But you bye no means have a poor mans car.

As Tom Cruise was told in Top Gun, "Son your letting your ego write checks that your body can't cash" Think before you talk.
Old 08-15-2002, 10:55 PM

"Son your letting your ego write checks that your body can't cash" Think before you talk.
**** I love that movie, I'm gonna go watch it right now

"Speak to me Goose. Speak to me"
Old 08-15-2002, 11:06 PM

C250 Coupe 2012
Do not think we should judge a car by the cost. We C230 Coupe owners got one hell of a deal, show me another car at our cost that has so much. I think the Coupe set the stage for other car manufactures, like 350Z Nissan, to drop their price and to be competitive and quite over charging and give us value for the dollar. A good quality car does not have to cost $40k plus to be good. Volvo's C70 is a good example, if they had sold the car for under 30K, they would have sold a ton. No, they charge 35K plus for a car that did not justify the cost, so now they have quite making that model, lesson learned. OUR car has set the standard for other to measure up to, more bang for the buck.
Old 08-15-2002, 11:13 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
Poor man's mercedes? Every car company has a lower priced car than others. Who cares it comes standard with cloth. Lots of people perfer that over leather. The ML320 used to come standard with cloth also. I am not sure if it does anymore though.
This car has the same feel as all the other Mercedes. Truthfully its more worth it than alot of them. My Family has have over 12 Mercedes in less than 7 years and the C - Coupe is just as Mercedes liks as all of them. Not to mention the reliability of my C coupe has been great. On my newer car (CLK430) i already have the Check Engine light on and its only 5 weeks old. I never had one Error light come on with my C coupe.

Oh and by the way when i was buying my C coupe the salesmen was going to give me the C240 auto with a cd changer and leather (unlike my C coupe) for the Identical price as my C coupe. Both were brand new but i still chose the C coupe (to u poor mans mercedes) over it instead.
Old 08-15-2002, 11:41 PM
taylor192

Re: Re: Re: C230, poor man's Mercedes?

Originally posted by columbus
If my first car was a Chrysler, I'd end up buying a Mercedes?!? Hehe...
I almost wrote:

If my first car was a NEON, I'd end up buying a Mercedes.

but it just didn't sound right... plus i didn't even know Dailmer-Chrysler owned MB until recently, cause its not entirely true. There are 2 companies, Dailmer-MB (don't quote me, I might be wrong), and Dailmer-Chrysler, so they are really 2 different divisions of a bigger company, not like the others where the luxury brand is a subdivision of the main brand.

I did miss:

If my first car was a Ford, I'd end up buying a Jaguar.
If my first car was a Mini, I'd end up buying a BMW.

Old 08-16-2002, 02:33 AM

from my perspective, i definitely think the c230k is a poor man's benz. all of my friends share the same opinion as i do. they actually laugh at the car because it reminds them of the wannabe bimmer 318 hatchback. i also think the c230k is like the bimmer's 318 hatchback where all you're doing is buying into the brand name. yes i know it's a benz but why did people look down on the 318? this is the same from the c230k. it will never be considered a real benz. the c230k = bimmer's 318 and we all know that we considered the 318 a poor man's bimmer. why is this case any different? people wanting to be into the mb crowd will mostly be the ones getting this.
Old 08-16-2002, 02:43 AM

2002 C230K
major prob with the 318ti was that it was a chopped 325 with the same exact sheet metal. imagine a 325 with the last 7 in chopped off.....not pretty. do the same with a c240 with the last 7 inches chopped off....even worse. however the sheet metal on the c230k isnt the c240 sheet metal. so it's not a 318 wannabe. if MB wanted a car to fail miserably, they would've made a 318 wannabe. nonetheless, have you driven a 318ti? my ex-girlfriend has one. that car is still frickin sweet, and so much fun to drive. so don't knock it bub.
Old 08-16-2002, 02:55 AM

i'm not trying to compare if sheet metal was chopped off, etc. all i'm trying to say is the people do think of the c230k as a poor man's benz because people just want to be part of the benz group. w/ about 30k to spend, why not just get a g35? the performance and value is there.

even porsche has the same following. why do u think some people think the boxster is a poor man's porsche?

i'm sure the 318 is fun to drive, but so are other cars w/o brand name in the same price range. but what was the reason to choose the 318 other the others? answer: because it's a bmw and people just buy into brand name thinking they will now be moved up in a class higher.

it's sad but true. think about this for awhile and you'll see that there is truth to this.

Last edited by slkride; 08-16-2002 at 03:02 AM.
Old 08-16-2002, 03:22 AM

2002 C230K
cant reall say that it was "to get into the brand" with these folks. they already had 2 other benzes and another bmw before they got the 318 for their daughter, and they bought a blazer for the other one so i dont think brand was on their agenda. and the boxster, once and for all, cannot be legitimately called a porsche if the engine isnt in back. it's just not right. but thats just personal opinion.

there's nothing wrong with a g35. my only prob with it is that it's not right for a skyline to not have twin turbos, that's just not cool.
Old 08-16-2002, 03:33 AM
JeT

Frankly, I couldn't give a rat's a$$ whether people think its a poors man's MB. I like driving it...bottom line. If you don't think its worth the money, good for you!!

Besides, we've got three Mercs in the garage, one's an SL500 which belong's to my brother. We are not the least bit insecure with our financial position. And from what I gather most of the people that have a C-class also have other Mercs.

For the price we pay for the model I have in Australia, with all the options I could have gotten a 1 or 2 year old SLK or CLK, or an Audii TT. So the price argument is a load of bollocks. When I drive around an see other cars, I don't look at the car in terms of its price...I look at it in terms of its quality. And the person driving it doesn't even enter my head.

If you believe the price of your car determines what class of person you are then you are probably a very insecure person. If you and your buddies sit there laughing at other people's cars, you need to get a sense of humour and find something worthwhile to amuse yourself with! That's just been petty!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: C230, poor man's Mercedes?