C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Supercharger Porting (aka LiquidLife Mod)

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-25-2006, 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by Capt Nemo o2
Outland, if it wasnt for the fact that I dont have the money, you would be a huge trouble maker! Everytime we get into a discussion about trying new methods (those not tried on the M271 yet) of adding HP, I agree with you 100%, and everytime it makes me wish I had a spare M271 to play with and bench test.
I tried to buy a spare M271 off ebay a many months back. The dude pulled the listing eventually, I'm guessing he didn't think my high bid was enough. I had some performance ideas I was interested in trying, and the modified M45 on the M271 was one of the ingredients I needed. I figured I would have no problem unloading it to someone on the forumns after I pulled the S/C.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 C230SS 6MT, 1966 Triumph TR4a IRS, Shelby Cobra 427 Supercharged
I saw one up there recently... Like last week...

I did find this though...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/M271-...ayphotohosting

Last edited by Capt Nemo o2; 01-25-2006 at 09:56 PM.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by hobie
This is getting interesting, Outland. You can be the guinea pig for the rest.
Hmm... I'm guessing that won't happen for awhile. I have two small children. Futzing in the garage all night will get me into divorce court. For the time being, I'm pretty happy with my ~240HP Coupe. Its faster than all the BMW owners at work, and enough to take down the local rice. I raced a 545 the other day, he couldn't pull on me. Mirror to mirror all the way to 90, when he backed off.

One thing I definately am interested in is the taller rear diff gearing from the C350...1 shift to 60
Old 01-25-2006, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This too...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Eaton...ayphotohosting

This whole time I was under the assumption the M111 used the M45 and not the M62. That explains alot!
Old 01-25-2006, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
This too...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Eaton...ayphotohosting

This whole time I was under the assumption the M111 used the M45 and not the M62. That explains alot!
The M111 does use the M45.

The larger M62 I think was used on the 1st gen supercharged M111, which sported an electro magnetic clutch.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ahh! Thanks for the clarification!
Old 01-26-2006, 12:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVE
Okay guys, what's this project about? I'm always willing to be a guinea pig. And that M271 pushing over 15psi was yours truly . Would I even be able to retrofit an M62? i.e. Room?

flip
Old 01-26-2006, 01:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVE
Actually, if someone could look into our intake systems and injectors (size - rate) that would be awesome since there will be drawbacks in ramming more air into the internals.. especially a pullied and ported M45, right? Don't let me go in it completely alone guys.

flip
Old 01-26-2006, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVE
Some review images to keep handy in this thread (dimensions of each charger):

AND

Obviously there are size differences.. one would have to look at the dimensions to see what would fit and not.

M62 and MP62

I would like to add that these two superchargers are the most 'ideal' for these size engines. The M62 is already requiring 2.0 to 4.0L engines. Do I hear a retrofit MP62? .

flip
Old 01-26-2006, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVE
Some review images to keep handy in this thread (dimensions of each charger):

AND

Obviously there are size differences.. one would have to look at the dimensions to see what would fit and not.

M62 and MP62

I would like to add that these two superchargers are the most 'ideal' for these size engines. The M62 is already requiring 2.0 to 4.0L engines. Do I hear a retrofit MP45? .

flip
Old 01-26-2006, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVE
Hm.. nevermind.. I just spoke (and I mean literally) to a "very reliable source" about us trying this out. Basically, don't do it. :\. Get kleemann headers instead .

flip
Old 01-26-2006, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVE
Originally Posted by Outland
Frankly, once youve got the M45 out...why put it back in? Replace it with something more effiecient.
This would be nearly impossible without the rest of us having a backyard CNC machine - so says the source.

flip
Old 01-26-2006, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Blimp
Originally Posted by mig888
Hm.. nevermind.. I just spoke (and I mean literally) to a "very reliable source" about us trying this out. Basically, don't do it. :\. Get kleemann headers instead .

flip
So give us some details on this.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
This would be nearly impossible without the rest of us having a backyard CNC machine - so says the source.

flip
Hmmmm. I wonder who you have been talking to...

Replacing the supercharger isn't going to be a riceboy bolt on level of difficulty. However, the biggest stumbling block I see is the form factor of the M62 outlet. Not that it would be too hard to piece something together, perhaps using some old SLK pieces.

Think cheap. The big guys have the money and resources to make everything from billet, and spend weeks designing a new part. Not everyone has big bucks to play...you might, since those Kleeman headers aren't making you blanch.

The M62 actually would be my last choice for a replacement. Its just bigger, not any more efficient.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Okay guys, what's this project about? I'm always willing to be a guinea pig. And that M271 pushing over 15psi was yours truly . Would I even be able to retrofit an M62? i.e. Room?

flip
Yep, you were the boost monkey. I'm thinking the extra room wouldn't be a problem. There's nothing behind the blower right now, at least as far as I can see...but Ive got the wrong motor. It might be different on you car.

How much did your car dyno out at, with 15psi? Isn't heat a big problem with the stock intercooler right now?
Old 01-27-2006, 12:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Actually, if someone could look into our intake systems and injectors (size - rate) that would be awesome since there will be drawbacks in ramming more air into the internals.. especially a pullied and ported M45, right? Don't let me go in it completely alone guys.

flip
You could always plop another injector into the intake aft of the TB to spray extra juice when the boost comes way up, and youre gonna run lean...Ive seen a few turbos ran that way. Kinda gets iffy on the outboard jugs...I'm not sure how even the dispersion is with this kind of setup.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVE
Isn't heat a big problem with the stock intercooler right now?
Yes, yes it is. I tried contacting racetec intercoolers (you know, buell tested-mother approved?) but it seemed like they just forgot about the one they made on the SLK230. Think you can remind them with me Outland? It was the same size and the bends were perfect on that piece, not that much bigger, but did manage to keep things cool(er) for longer. Funny thing though, the brabus bumper allows for a wider/clearer opening for the intercooler to be aired as well.

It was that or an ERL water/methanol injection retrofit (which I really don't mind).

flip

I'm not saying I've got the cash to burn, I'm doing what I can to keep this engine and its mods alive (a la Young Doc, nuclearhappiness, and whoever else I missed who has a passion for their M271s) -even R&D/custom fabrication. Also, remember I have my "resources" and connections to work with (of which I can't mention here, haha). I'm coming up with ideas left and right for our engine to squeeze every ounce of power its got (or is capable of). How come I don't already have 2-12's in the trunk, right? .

Hrm..Maybe I should throw up some pictures of 'our' limited edition fabricated intake that I also guinea pig'd for.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

As far as the methanol injection... Works great! We installed it on the Cobra. On a day that was about 90 degrees and 85% humidity, we pulled 45x with out it, and after adjusting the carb and timing and when the methanol kicks in we pulled 480 (which is what we pulled before the methanol, but on a cooler drier day). When spring rolls around, we are going back to get it dyno'd again. This time it should be over 500 HP at the wheels.

Anyways, I digress! We wont get those kind of gains obviously, but I do think on hot days we will not loose any power.

I also had an idea for the IC. What about switching to a water/air intercooler? This way you can always make it cooler by going to a bigger radiator without affecting the air flow. You can even add multiple radiators if so inclined.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
Porting my IHI supercharger About halfway done with it. On the left, ported to 80 grit; unpolished. On the right, it hasn't been ported yet, but you can see how much material is removed at the score line. There's also the bottom side and the opposite side of the supercharger outlets that needs to be ported and polished.
Attached Thumbnails Supercharger Porting (aka LiquidLife Mod)-img_1144.jpg  
Old 01-27-2006, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVE
I also had an idea for the IC. What about switching to a water/air intercooler? This way you can always make it cooler by going to a bigger radiator without affecting the air flow. You can even add multiple radiators if so inclined.
Someone said something about losing boost or what not about changing to an air:water intercooler. I think it was discussed in these forums way back when. Ideally, if I found the racetec intercooler AND did methanol injection - we can run all night .

Originally Posted by pshek
Porting my IHI supercharger About halfway done with it. On the left, ported to 80 grit; unpolished. On the right, it hasn't been ported yet, but you can see how much material is removed at the score line. There's also the bottom side and the opposite side of the supercharger outlets that needs to be ported and polished.
That looks very interesting - are you doing this yourself or having a good company with a flowbench test this out for you? And what do you assume about fuel delivery issues? Keep going on that project!

flip
Old 01-27-2006, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
I'm not doing it. I don't have all the tools nor the time to take apart the engine and do a complete job. Plus, I didn't want to mess up and waste a brand new engine. They're going to check the flow rates on each cylinder. I asked about the fuel delivery issues, no change in A/F ratio, just higher flow rate.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
I'm not doing it. I don't have all the tools nor the time to take apart the engine and do a complete job. Plus, I didn't want to mess up and waste a brand new engine. They're going to check the flow rates on each cylinder. I asked about the fuel delivery issues, no change in A/F ratio, just higher flow rate.
Youre not going to affect the A/F ratio enough with a port and polish to exceed the range of the stock injectors and ecu.

Pshek's twin screw blower is what we really need. Lysholm me please :v

Can't wait to see this thing in action when its done. Youre swapping the entire motor, right? Not just bolting on the blower, iirc?
Old 01-27-2006, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Yes, yes it is. I tried contacting racetec intercoolers (you know, buell tested-mother approved?)
Speaking of mother...iirc, wasn't that the intercooler that had pressure drop problems? I think I'd see what the diamond star gang is using these days...those cars were always running a lot of boost, without detonation and heat problems.

but it seemed like they just forgot about the one they made on the SLK230.
Some of the shops just aren't hungry for business...or they have really dopey staffing. I'd look elsewhere. I need more spare time. With some good metal working tools and some freemtime, you could fab most of this **** on your own. Nothing fancy that goes into an intercooler.

I'm not saying I've got the cash to burn, I'm doing what I can to keep this engine and its mods alive (a la Young Doc, nuclearhappiness, and whoever else I missed who has a passion for their M271s)
I'm not an M271'er, but I like seeing you guys have success, especially the Coupers...they get nothing but **** on by the 'veesix' crowd...and all that 'refinement'.

-even R&D/custom fabrication. Also, remember I have my "resources" and connections to work with (of which I can't mention here, haha).
Uh-huh...I think we know who that is.

I'm coming up with ideas left and right for our engine to squeeze every ounce of power its got (or is capable of).
There's nothing inherently wrong with the design, it should be able to make just as much power as any other modded 1.8 liter mill out there. Just MB took the tinkerproofing too far this time.

Hrm..Maybe I should throw up some pictures of 'our' limited edition fabricated intake that I also guinea pig'd for.
Post em. Won't do me any good, but I love to see what others have come up with!
Old 01-27-2006, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
Youre not going to affect the A/F ratio enough with a port and polish to exceed the range of the stock injectors and ecu.

Pshek's twin screw blower is what we really need. Lysholm me please :v

Can't wait to see this thing in action when its done. Youre swapping the entire motor, right? Not just bolting on the blower, iirc?
Yup, the whole shebangle, the whole enchilada. Plus some added effects like cams and ive got a source for an AMG LSD.
Old 01-28-2006, 12:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Yup, the whole shebangle, the whole enchilada. Plus some added effects like cams and ive got a source for an AMG LSD.

How is ESP and ASR going like that LSD?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Supercharger Porting (aka LiquidLife Mod)