C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Factory CD Changer Install or aftermarket. Anyone done this?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2001, 09:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ford Pinto
Factory CD Changer Install or aftermarket. Anyone done this?

Who has install a cd changer after you got the car? Our 240 did not come with the changer but I would like to add one in the glove box for my wife for Christmas.

I want it to be controlled by the head unit so we don't have some remote control we have to use.

Is the factory one worth it and easy to install? Is there an aftermarket one that hooks up like the factory one that is a little cheaper?

Thanks,

Eric
Old 12-17-2001, 09:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
Aftermarket changers will not be controlled by the head unit or steering wheel controls. Most won't interface with the fiber optics, so you're stuck with FM modulators (unless you buy the Becker/Alpine for $$$). Installation for the MB supplied unit isn't that difficult (as described by others), but you need to have the dealer run a "set up program" to initialize the CD changer. You're sort of short on time if you're going to do this by Christmas.

Your best bet might be to explain the situation to and negotiate a deal with your MB dealer. Then have them install it the day (this Friday or Saturday?) you tell your wife that the car has to "go in for emergency software and equipment updates". Don't tell her about the changer, just hand her the CD cartridge....giftwrapped, of course.
Old 12-17-2001, 09:18 AM

Ford Pinto
Thank you, that was what I was needing to hear. I might not get this done by Christmas. Man, it just slips up on ya but I think I can get it done by the end of next week.

Again, thanks.

Eric
Old 12-17-2001, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toyota Tacoma & Lexus IS250
I got the MB CD changer for $400 at www.autoclass.net

This included all necessary hardware....supposedly its not difficult to install...but I wimped out and had the dealer do it for $100.

it works perfect....and no worries.
Old 12-17-2001, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
There's your negotiating point. Call the dealer's parts counter, ask if they have the changer in stock, then ask what their installed price is. While you wait for them to get the price, tell them that you want to get it for your wife as a Christmas gift. Then when they quote you the price.....balk. Tell them you found a better price for the changer, and ask if they would match that hardware price if you get the installation done there. He'll either agree...or hang up the phone.

Rumor (unsubstantiated) has it that they will be discontinuing the current model - early 2002, but only use that info as an ace in the hole if they won't bend their price. (most parts guys want to move old inventory, so if it's in stock you can probably convince them)

**Everything's negotiable**
Old 12-17-2001, 08:44 PM

Ford Pinto
I ordered the unit from autoclass.net Thanks bagwell. My dealer didn't want to come off of the price that much.

I didn't talk about labor with them. I am going to do it myself.

Can anyone point me to a thread with some general instructions?

I am going to install it myself and document the procedure and place it on my website. www.installuniversity.com I am **** about stuff like this.

Thanks for all the help guys. You all are great!!!!

ERic
Old 12-18-2001, 07:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toyota Tacoma & Lexus IS250
if you look in past forums, somebody has already put most of the procedure online.

try a search or look back at the past pages.