C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Aftermarket Nav system in 2003 C240

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 10:10 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
GLS450, GLE450
Troy - I second your recommendation of http://www.discountcarstereo.com/ and Bay. He is wonderful to deal with and will beat/meet any price on the net. Also, they are authorized dealer for Pioneer (maybe for all the stuff they sell), which is important to me.

Now on to issues I am running into with my D2 install. I can't seem to figure out how my OEM HU is connected to the amp. I have attached the picture of the HU... can someone tell me where the speaker level outputs are for the amp? The connector B (middle 8 pins) is not connected to anything!

The HU is CM1010, Alpine A2038201086. Any help will be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket Nav system in 2003 C240-back-radio-small.jpg  
Old 06-06-2006, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 MB C240 & 2004 ML 350
sunnyvali...I admittedly don't know much about installs...hence the reason I used a pro. I will try calling my installer tomorrow and see what he has to say...but there are much more competent people on this site that may be able to answer...sorry man.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:34 AM

GLS450, GLE450
Troy - Thanks. I hope someone does. I talked to another installer yesterday and he would not stop talking about how this car is wired for FO and he will have to replace everything to make it work!

Perhaps, I should just give up and use the Garmin...
Old 06-07-2006, 06:44 PM

Sunnyvali...i'm currently writing this from my installers shop. First thing...could you send a better picture...we are looking at it and he wants to see it better. Secondly, the installers telling you about fiber optics is trying to get money.

Dude, I have the same install as you and didn't worry about half the things they are telling you. However, I also replaced my amp. So...first post a better pic and we'll diagnose it later...
Old 06-07-2006, 09:37 PM

GLS450, GLE450
Unfortunately, this is one of the better pictures… I took quick pictures while the HU was out. I remember where every thing connects… Besides the 2 connector on the right, there were 2 black wires connected on the left side, perhaps radio and cell phone antenna??

Thanks for all the help you have been providing.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by sunnyvali
Unfortunately, this is one of the better pictures… I took quick pictures while the HU was out. I remember where every thing connects… Besides the 2 connector on the right, there were 2 black wires connected on the left side, perhaps radio and cell phone antenna??

Thanks for all the help you have been providing.
What exactly are you trying to do? Install a D2, using the OEM amp & speakers, right?

I'll touch bases with my installer tomorrow and let him read your write up...

For the record, I have a BMW that this installer worked on. In it is a AVIC N2, Headrest monitors, 6 disc DVD changer, game port to plug in an Xbox etc, box for the wireless remote, TV tuner, Sirius, yada yada...no problems

Now he did my MB, AVIC D1 then Z1, TV Tuner, Sirius, Sub Woofer & amp, and amp for the other speakers... The only difference so far is I don't think I had an amp to begin with. I gave away the CD changer and OEM headunit, lost the +/- buttons... But if you had the D2 or Z1 installed, you'd give away those buttons also. Only a novice installer would focus on the Fiber Optics issue. I even spoke to my dealership before doing my installs and they advised that if a reputable shop did the work all would be fine...and they lived up to that by buying me a Z1 when the damaged the face of my D1.

An install of the headunit shouldn't be more than $150 to $200. Of course there may be incidentals, but I would looking into replacing the amp also. Dude, have your installer call Bay or my installer, Angelo @ 856.401.7771 if he doesn't know what to do.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:02 AM

GLS450, GLE450
Troy,

Thanks! I appreciate all the help you have provided. I am trying to keep the factory amp and speakers. I believe those are from BOSE.

I did talk to Bay and he was as puzzled as I am. The only thing I can think of is that the HU and amp are FO connected and I will need to bypass the amp and connect straight to the speaker wires. But, then the 2/4 Ohm issue comes up.

I will or the installer I talked to yesterday will call your installer if we run into any more issues.

Thanks once again for all the help and direction.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:22 AM

2002 C240
Other than that, custom sub enclosure in the trunk with a pioneer flat 12" sub woofer powered by Memphis amp (this preserved my trunk space). The interior speakers are also powered by another Memphis amp installed in the spot where the first aid kit was located.
Troy, do you have a picture to share of your install? I am in the middle of an install of my 2002 C240, I would like to see what you did.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-08-2006, 11:20 PM

I'd be happy to post pics...my installer did an awesome job. I'm just a lazy ******* when it comes to taking pics and posting. Every time i tried uploading a pic it keep telling me the size is incorrect. I don't he the energy to ef around with pic size...

Now that others have asked, i'll definately take pics tomorrow and put them in.

sunnyvali...you are correct in that the speakers are Bose...I kept mine in...but I definately wanted better amps than an OEM amp. Also, my installer bypassed all the fiberoptics and my dealership was impressed. Then again, I didn't have a stock amp in to begin with so I really had no choice...
Old 06-09-2006, 12:54 AM

Smile

here are a few...I suck at pics.

The sub is about 3.5 inches deep. I still have access to my spare and have much truck space to boot.
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket Nav system in 2003 C240-100_2207.jpg   Aftermarket Nav system in 2003 C240-100_2187.jpg   Aftermarket Nav system in 2003 C240-100_2192.jpg  
Old 06-09-2006, 09:16 AM

2002 C240
WOW! That is really nice and clean! How do you like the sound? Where are your amps? So, you kept the Bose speakers? Are they not the 2 ohm ones? How did you get around that? Sorry for all the questions! Here is what I am doing for subs. It is not done yet and the system is far from finished. I just spend a little time on it here and there.

Thanks for the pics!

Stupid thing won't let me upload the pic since I already posted it. Check it out on the thread named "Trunk audio install done - Spare Tire?"
Old 06-09-2006, 02:56 PM

Will the factory 6 CD changer work with the Z1?
Old 06-09-2006, 04:50 PM

GLS450, GLE450
Finally talked to a guy who made some sense to me.

The speaker are 2 or 4 ohms and the installed has a adjustable line level device he said he will use to overcome that.

My install is scheduled for June 17th and I will ask the installer to take pictures if possible.

The OEM CD changer will not work with the Pioneer radio.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:57 PM

2002 C240
The speaker are 2 or 4 ohms and the installed has a adjustable line level device he said he will use to overcome that.
Not sure how that works but looking forward to the install photos!
Old 06-09-2006, 08:04 PM

I kept the stock Bose because I don't want the doors messed with...plus don't know how much difference it will make. My installer said it wouldn't be that much of a difference for a hack like me with no ears. I still can't tell the difference between CD, MP3, FM, or Sirius...the only time I hear a difference with when my dad plays his old LPs and the needle hits the vinyl disc producing that crackling-hissing sound.

The speakers are 4 ohms, and the amp is located where the first aid kit was located...(will post pics). I went with the Memphis amp because of size...only to find out later how expensive they were...but i'm a great negotiator and never pay retail for anything...never!

The sound on the Pioneer Sub is great...I wanted to presearve trunk/spare area. I did what you guys (MB Nubeee) discussed on the other post you were on (saw it last night)...I remove the old sub (bass enhancer) to create an opening for the sound. The Class D amp for the sub is also a Memphis...hidden. (Don't know where exactly expect it's behind or underneath the enclosure.

The TV tuner, Sirius is under the footwell and perfectly hidden. The mic for the voice command is also hidden and is now residing where the original mic was located (on the rear view)... The only thing showing is the Nav and Sirius antenna.

CD CHANGER...huh! six disc--why? I have an mp3 player in my Z1...one disc took care of that problem. Also, the Z1 has a 10 gig hard drive...so far I have every song I own on it and have used less than 5%.

Finally...I never look at suggested retail price... My contact at discountcarstereo.com is the bomb. The speakers were approx $240 at pioneer and large chain stores...web had it for half. But I don't buy from ebay (bad experience) or web stores I don't know. My Z1 retails for $2300...got is for $1450...can't beat that. When you take amp and all the extras, I basically am paying a little over 50% for everything.

Last edited by tromar1; 06-09-2006 at 08:09 PM.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:34 PM

o3 clk320
i will say it was a sigh of relief seeing your z1 installed nicely with the right sized kit. where did you get the installation kit for the z1? i have been looking for that set up!

has any figured out if there is anyway to have steering controls function with the Z1. if not, what all do you lose?

thanks
Old 06-09-2006, 10:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
anybody have any radio AM/FM reception problems with aftermarket radios? I have a problem with mine =T
Old 06-10-2006, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by cwuest92
i will say it was a sigh of relief seeing your z1 installed nicely with the right sized kit. where did you get the installation kit for the z1? i have been looking for that set up!

has any figured out if there is anyway to have steering controls function with the Z1. if not, what all do you lose?

thanks
There are two types...1. Scosche and 2. American international. I bought them both and went with American International. Still have the Scosche. These items gave me a headache by always being on back order..

I am a fanatic about preserving as much original functionality as much as I change stuff (weird, huh?) So, I don't like losing any function at all...steering wheel included. Funny thing is, I don't use my right hand to steer or change the buttons so it wasn't a big deal for me...

Losing the Volume +/- buttons...and the phone buttons. But i don't have the MB phone...If I really wanted it i would look into getting a unit from the UK that another poster pointed out...but now i just use the steering wheel remotes for the pioneer. little remote strapped onto the steering..

Incidentally, I did preserve the steering wheel functions in my BMW with the use of a peswic unit...the radio controls were on the left side so I needed that...

You know what...i'll research the steering wheel thing in the UK. For the most part, most people tell me it can't work because of the fiber optics in the MB...
Old 06-17-2006, 01:39 PM

mmmmmmmmmm fiber optics.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:49 AM

GLS450, GLE450
Finally got the D2 installed in my C320 Wagon. The pictures and details will come later. But, in nutshell... My HU was connected via fiber to the amp. The installer had to install a 4 ch amp to bypass it and remove the factory-installed amp and sub in the rear (I will get a sub installed later). The D2 sounds much beter than the OEM unit and I am very happy with the setup.

It is doable, as long as you find a good installer to work with. I still have to go back and get the FM reception issue resolved as I can't get any channels to lock in. The installer knows what the issue is (power antenna) and will fix it today or tomorrow.

Now, if only I could hack the D2 to bypass the warning screens and let me input address and such while moving...
Old 06-19-2006, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by sunnyvali
Finally got the D2 installed in my C320 Wagon. The pictures and details will come later. But, in nutshell... My HU was connected via fiber to the amp. The installer had to install a 4 ch amp to bypass it and remove the factory-installed amp and sub in the rear (I will get a sub installed later). The D2 sounds much beter than the OEM unit and I am very happy with the setup.

It is doable, as long as you find a good installer to work with. I still have to go back and get the FM reception issue resolved as I can't get any channels to lock in. The installer knows what the issue is (power antenna) and will fix it today or tomorrow.

Now, if only I could hack the D2 to bypass the warning screens and let me input address and such while moving...
The hack is out there...try looking at www.avic411.com.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:15 AM

GLS450, GLE450
Troy,

I printed the instructions yesterday and will give it a try over the weekend. Grounding 2 wires should not be that difficult!

I will report back...
Old 10-27-2017, 02:38 AM

C32 amg
Hey to get sound did you need some kind of fiber optic bypass ?