C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

MA Emissions BS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C280 4Matic
MA Emissions BS

Since my "new" 2006 C280 is technically used (I bought it with 2k miles on it - a dealer demo) it needs full emissions testing. Well, the day I picked up the car the dealer was unable to test it (the state's computer couldn't communicate with the car's computer) because they said I had to drive the car a few hundered miles...they disconnected the battery for some reason and the car needs do be driven before it can be retested. So, they had to put a rejection sticker on the car. Keep in mind, the car can be driven with a rejection sticker for 60 days. After that, you can't drive it. Police will pull you over.

So, after driving the car for a couple of weeks I went to get it inspected. The two computers couldn't communicate. I brought the car back to the dealer and they said nothing was wrong and to try a different inspection station. Oh yeah, I had to drive the car a few hundred miles before I could get it tested again. After driving the car for another week, I tried getting it inspected at another station. Still no good. Back to the dealer. Again they said nothing was wrong. Back to the inspection station. No good. Back to the dealer.....this has been going on for nearly 2 months.

My rejection sticker expires this week and I won't be able to drive the car anymore. The dealer says there is nothing to fix and the car should be able to be inspected. They've "washed their hands of it". What do I do now???? I paid $34,000 for a car that I won't be able to drive in 3 days!!!!!

Old 06-03-2006, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Silver 2002 C32, Silver 2006 CLK 350
cant you have the dealer do the inspection? is it for smog?
Old 06-03-2006, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 C32 ///AMG
are you in MA?
what dealer did you buy it from?
Old 06-03-2006, 12:11 PM

C280
Your dealer has to take care of this. He can't sell you a car that won't pass the emissions test. Go to your dealer and make some noise!
Old 06-03-2006, 12:26 PM

2005 C320 4Matic
where in MA are you? if you're in Boston, Herb Chambers of Somerville does inspections at the dealership. Take it there (pm me, I'll recommend a service advisor).
Old 06-03-2006, 02:20 PM

2006 C280 4Matic
I've been dealing with two dealers. I live near the one in Westwood so that's the one I've been using most. Anyway, I just got off the phone with the one I bought the car from (north of Boston) and they told me they'll drive a loaner car to where I work, pick up my car, take my car back, and fix whatever is wrong with it.

Has anyone else ever had a similar problem?? I have to say my sales person has been great in all of this.
Old 06-04-2006, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
Mercedes has had problems with the communications between their cars and some state smog inspection computers. If the dealer does not fix it, I'd ask MBUSA to put their best man on it.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:50 PM

e300d
Originally Posted by anakin14
Since my "new" 2006 C280 is technically used (I bought it with 2k miles on it - a dealer demo) it needs full emissions testing. Well, the day I picked up the car the dealer was unable to test it (the state's computer couldn't communicate with the car's computer) because they said I had to drive the car a few hundered miles...they disconnected the battery for some reason and the car needs do be driven before it can be retested. So, they had to put a rejection sticker on the car. Keep in mind, the car can be driven with a rejection sticker for 60 days. After that, you can't drive it. Police will pull you over.

We had the same issue following an A Service. The car would not pass inspection in MA since the readiness codes are wiped and you must accumulate several hundred miles of driving before they are "reset".

We took the car back for re-inspection one week later, per the station owner's recommendation, and all was well.

As suggested, you may have a secondary issue.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is funny, in CA, it's the sellers responsibility to get the car smogged unless it's negotiated and put in the sales contract otherwise. Even then, a licensed dealer can not sell a used car unless it's been smogged. But MA is probably new at the emmisions game compared to CA that started the craze. I'm sure it will be fine, the EPA requires car manufacturers to honor the smog warranty no matter what for 2 years (8 years for some components). I would be concerrned if they reset codes just before you bought the car and I would complain about fraud to your local DMV or whomever manages smog inspection stations. Either way, I would make them reponsible and also complain to the agency that licenses car dealers for alleged fraud.

Lastly, if they can't make the car pass inspection immediately, for any reason, the car is undrivable, they should give you a loaner until it's resolved. Afterall, if the car was undrivable for any reason and they couldn't fix it immediately they would give you a loaner, my dealer does.
Old 06-10-2006, 03:37 PM

e300d
The car must cover a certain number of miles and cold/warm startups before all the readiness codes are set. A number of system self-checks must be made as well. If the dealer clears everything out the state's computer has nothing to review when interfaced.

I doubt there's anything wrong with the car.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:13 PM

2006 C280 4Matic
I've driven several hundred miles b/w tests and still no communication b/w the car and state computer. I'm bringing the car to the dealership again.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 C32 ///AMG
Originally Posted by anakin14
I've driven several hundred miles b/w tests and still no communication b/w the car and state computer. I'm bringing the car to the dealership again.
return it