C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Windshield replacement prices FYI

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windshield replacement prices FYI

So I have posted that I cracked my windshield almost 2 weeks ago. I went to Grove Auto Body right down the street from my work. I have been going to them for years for all my personal and work vehicles and they have done a great job. They first asked me if I was going to pay for it myself or go through insurance and I said I wasn't sure. So they gave me the insurance price of $579 So basically I was looking at $500 deductible and borrowing 80 bucks from the insurance company. Looking at the breakdown of everything they priced this out:

Windshield with wiper sensor- $354.00
Windshield Seal - $9.67
4.7 Hours Labor @ $40 hour- $188.00
plus tax

After talking with the owner's son I asked how long it would take and if I could drive it home after they were done. He said "sure it only takes about an hour...if that, to finish it".

So I went back yesterday and asked them if I paid for it myself how much would it cost. They told me they have a guy (ALFA AUTO GLASS) come out to replace it for them anyway. He said they would give me the same price as the cost ($354.00) to come out plus tax and labor. After talking to the guy from ALFA it ends up it's going to be $512.00 after all is said and done. He's coming to my shop on Monday to install it.

2 of my work trucks have various window issues and I'm wondering if he'll hook me up if I give him a little more work. We'll see. I need a new windshield and a few seals for my 911 also.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C200K (w204)
I thought u'll be unable to drive your car for 6 hours after windshield replacement, this is to wait for the seal to dry out. In wet condition u'll need 12 hours. That's wat the guy said when replacing my windshield. The guy who did mine took less than an hour to replace it, he said it was by far the easiest job for Mercedes car.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:28 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Originally Posted by Cigalert
So I have posted that I cracked my windshield almost 2 weeks ago. I went to Grove Auto Body right down the street from my work. I have been going to them for years for all my personal and work vehicles and they have done a great job.

Windshield with wiper sensor- $354.00
Windshield Seal - $9.67
4.7 Hours Labor @ $40 hour- $188.00
plus tax
I'll bet they do great work, and should... for the price. 4.7 hours labor for 40 minutes work (max)?

I just had my windshield replaced at a reputable specialty auto glass company here in Dallas. Genuine (Pilkington) MB part with sensor... $279 installed, all inclusive, plus $15.50 tax = $295.47.

They see you coming with your 911... Do some shopping for your next "hook-up," as you are overpaying.
Old 06-03-2006, 02:12 PM

Some pretty hefty assumptions MB-Bob. I'm sure you feel high and mighty with your keyboard in hand and MB in your name. I have come in here to share my experiences and points of view with fellow benz owners to attempt to find new things and ideas. Try not to ostracise a newer forum member with unitelligent remarks and negatives comments.

I got 3 quotes (window replacement only guys) along with the body shop quote and the best price I could get was $319.00 but I personally felt the quotes I received were from some extremely half-a$$ people. They came out and physically checked out the car. Yet, I am a firm believer in "you get what you pay for". I paid cash for this car and I will pay cash for the windshield to be replaced as long as I feel comfortable with the people doing the work. I guess that's the difference between you and me. I can afford to spend a little more. BTW the people I chose to do the work are not charging the 4.7 hours of labor...that was the body shop who quoted that price.

The guys at the body shop told me the sealant they use will dry in about an hour but I need to keep my windows down for 5-6 hours and not to drive it for at least 7 hours.
Old 06-03-2006, 02:19 PM

Is there no safelite autoglass in the area?

flip
Old 06-03-2006, 04:02 PM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
Some pretty hefty assumptions MB-Bob. I'm sure you feel high and mighty with your keyboard in hand and MB in your name. I have come in here to share my experiences and points of view with fellow benz owners to attempt to find new things and ideas. Try not to ostracise a newer forum member with unitelligent remarks and negatives comments.

I got 3 quotes (window replacement only guys) along with the body shop quote and the best price I could get was $319.00 but I personally felt the quotes I received were from some extremely half-a$$ people. They came out and physically checked out the car. Yet, I am a firm believer in "you get what you pay for". I paid cash for this car and I will pay cash for the windshield to be replaced as long as I feel comfortable with the people doing the work. I guess that's the difference between you and me. I can afford to spend a little more.
Well, excuse me for contributing to your thread. I paid cash for my C320 as well, and own it bumper to bumper. I simply added my comments because I have learned over 5-years of ownership, that once a auto shop finds that you have a Mercedes-Benz, many of them assume you have more money than sense. As you'll see below, being quoted $354 for a windshield part priced no more than $190 for an OEM replacement confirms this.

I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for, as well. So I did an equal amount of research, finally going with the recommendation of my local MB dealership, who referred me to their preferred autoglass contractor, Richardson Auto Glass, with 4 locations in Dallas. They specialize in European glasswork, mostly on high-end cars (MB, BMW, Porsche, etc). I was assured by an MB service advisor (a member of these boards, also), that Richardson had advanced experience in dealing with rain sensor issues. This meant more to me that the price of the repair.

Here are the amounts for the work from my paid invoice:

$189.95 FW02165GYY Premium Shaded Windshield with integrated sensor. Pilkington (England) part #43R-001585.
............ My OEM windshield was also Pilkington, same part number.
$15.00... Urethane kit
$100.00 Labor, minus a $25 discount for taking the car to their shop, and the dealer referral
$15.52 Tax
$295.47 Total

I was allowed to watch the process up close. The powered Urethane dispensing gun is very interesting. Whole process took all of 40 minutes. Then I drove to my weekly round of golf. The shop was on the way to the CC...

The guys at the body shop told me the sealant they use will dry in about an hour but I need to keep my windows down for 5-6 hours and not to drive it for at least 7 hours.
I was told the car was perfectly drivable, as long as I kept one window down about 1-inch. This is to allow air to escape through that window, rather than pressurize the air in the cabin against the windshield when you close the door with all windows up. I simply left the sunroof tilted up, which accomplished the same thing. Driving in rain was acceptable, but no power car wash for 24-hours.

Again, sorry to intrude with my "unintelligent and negative remarks." As for sharing "your experiences and points of view with fellow benz owners to attempt to find new things and ideas," you'll find with a simple search that this topic has been discussed many times, often after someone got taken to the cleaners with a $580 windshield repair that should cost no more than half this amount. So, I was only trying to help, as I have on this forum for 4 1/2 years. I don't believe I deserve the smack-down. But opinions vary.

A belated welcome to the boards... And enjoy your $512 windshield.
Old 06-03-2006, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by MB-BOB
$189.95 FW02165GYY Shaded Windshield with integrated sensor. Pilkington (England) part #43R-001585.
............ My OEM windshield was also Pilkington, same part number.
$15.00... Urethane kit
$100.00 Labor, minus a $25 discount for taking the car to their shop, and the dealer referral
$15.52 Tax
$295.47 Total

A belated welcome to the boards...
Damn, that IS pretty cheap.. may I have a copy to show if I ever need to have a pricematch done .

flip
Old 06-03-2006, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks Bob, that will be good to know. I need a windshield for my wife's Wrangler, yes another Daimler-Chrysler product, when will I learn. It's got 2 cracks from 2 seperate occasions a week apart. I think it's a rock magnet.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:19 PM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
Originally Posted by Buellwinkle
Thanks Bob, that will be good to know. I need a windshield for my wife's Wrangler, yes another Daimler-Chrysler product, when will I learn. It's got 2 cracks from 2 seperate occasions a week apart. I think it's a rock magnet.
Ah, someone who appreciates help. Nice to hear from you, Buell... Yes, I've owned more Dodges/Plymouths than MBs, too...
Originally Posted by JP@CarLAB
Damn, that IS pretty cheap.. may I have a copy to show if I ever need to have a pricematch done . flip
Sure... The coding from the windshield is my writing. The "PILK" in the upper right corner is the vendor's note.
Attached Thumbnails Windshield replacement prices FYI-windshield-receipt.jpg  
Old 06-05-2006, 03:29 PM

2004 Capri Blue C32
Originally Posted by MB-BOB
Ah, someone who appreciates help. Nice to hear from you, Buell... Yes, I've owned more Dodges/Plymouths than MBs, too...
Sure... The coding from the windshield is my writing. The "PILK" in the upper right corner is the vendor's note.
Perfect timing on this Bob!! My windshield got hit with a rock about 1/4 inch from the edge about a month ago, and the crack has now taken a 90 degree turn downwards. I've been holding off getting it replaced--I was going to wait for my next service appointment and pay the $550 I was quoted by the dealer. I even went to Safelite and they quoted me around $500 for the job. I'm going to call this place that you used and see what I can get from them. I work in Richardson to make it even easier!! Thanks again!
Old 06-05-2006, 09:46 PM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
Originally Posted by jayitx
Perfect timing on this Bob!! My windshield got hit with a rock about 1/4 inch from the edge about a month ago, and the crack has now taken a 90 degree turn downwards. I've been holding off getting it replaced--I was going to wait for my next service appointment and pay the $550 I was quoted by the dealer. I even went to Safelite and they quoted me around $500 for the job. I'm going to call this place that you used and see what I can get from them. I work in Richardson to make it even easier!! Thanks again!
Check your PMs for more info.