C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Trunk opening on a C240

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2002, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C320
Trunk opening on a C240

Is it normal for the trunk lid to open really fast, it seems that someone could get injured if they stand in the way. I don't recall that behavior on my old c230.
My wife's watch chipped the paint on the trunk lid while she was trying to stop the trunk when it opened, I took delivery of the car last wednesday.

Regards Neil
Old 08-19-2002, 08:39 AM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
Hmmm, fact is my trunk lid opens pretty fast as well. I thought that my car was unique, so I tried it on a couple of other C's at my dealership, and they were pretty much the same. Guess it's supposed to be that way. On my car the first trip on the trunk-lids speedy journey is not that speedy, but it accelerates like crazy at the end!
Old 08-19-2002, 09:45 AM

2002 C240 6 spd manual
Lately my trunk hasn't been opening at all on intermittent occasions. When it does open it seems to be kind of sluggish versus when I took delivery. Is there something that can be lubricated to get it back to opening fast and smooth?
Old 08-19-2002, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 Lexus GS300 RWD, '07 Camry SE V6 auto, '91 190E 2.6 auto
How could someone be injured by standing in the way when the trunk opens UP and not OUT? Sounds to me like your wife chiped the paint when see wasn't familar with the function of the lid, and didn't want it flying backwards and slamming into the rear window. Reasonable, but didn't your salesman go over all the functions of the vehicle when you took delivery?
Old 08-19-2002, 10:05 AM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
Originally posted by Jim Banville
Reasonable, but didn't your salesman go over all the functions of the vehicle when you took delivery?
This was the only feature my salesman was reluctant to show. I had to ask him about it and then he showed me and looked kind of anxious. He said: "Mabye you shouldn't use this one all the time... We don't want your car to break, right?"

But I guess he's fair for it to break was unnecessary. It seems to hold together just fine!
Old 08-19-2002, 12:21 PM

2001 C240 / 6-speed
For the W203 sedans:

The extension springs for the trunk opening are easily adjusted. There are three anchor points at the rear of the spring and two at the front, making 6 independent settings per spring (one spring per side). So, that said you shoud be able to customize the opening to exactly what you want.

Pull back the trunk side covers, look up and you should see the situation easily. Movement by grabbing with your hands is easy.

I played with mine and got a nice, gentle opening...until it rained! The weight of the rain on the trunk was enough to keep it from popping open, so I adjusted just one side to less preload and now it opens pretty gently, even in the rain!
Old 08-19-2002, 02:17 PM

C320
Originally posted by Jim Banville
Reasonable, but didn't your salesman go over all the functions of the vehicle when you took delivery?
Obviously I would have noticed it at the dealer but I guess he never over that function.
Old 08-19-2002, 02:18 PM

C320
Originally posted by patronus
For the W203 sedans:

The extension springs for the trunk opening are easily adjusted. There are three anchor points at the rear of the spring and two at the front, making 6 independent settings per spring (one spring per side). So, that said you shoud be able to customize the opening to exactly what you want.

Pull back the trunk side covers, look up and you should see the situation easily. Movement by grabbing with your hands is easy.

I played with mine and got a nice, gentle opening...until it rained! The weight of the rain on the trunk was enough to keep it from popping open, so I adjusted just one side to less preload and now it opens pretty gently, even in the rain!

Thanks for the info Patronus.