C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Service prices out of control!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 02:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C230
My dealer Mr @@@@@ at central Florida Eurocars is probably the best dealer i have ever had. When my breaks were messed up he talked to his bosses and got them done for me for free because the guy that originaly sold me the car quit and promised the car was 100% and should be fine for few thousand miles but pads and a few things went bad quick. He also gave me a e350 loaner fully loaded as a loaner, then i had to to outa town for a few days so he signed off on the milage so i could take the loaner with me. I ahve had no problems with my dealer and i am very happy because for once a dealership actually keeps there word. I am almost 100% sure ill be buying from them again. I guess it really depends on ther person you get. I suggest anyone from this area looking to purchase to get in contact with them!

Last edited by Untouchable08; 07-03-2006 at 02:13 AM.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 and 2002 E320
I think that's a given. In fact, (and sorry to come from a negative perspective) they should have checked the brakes before they sold you the car in part of their 100+ point inspection list.

Make sure that you grind that dealer up, complain, be unhappy, etc. See if they give you anything else.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:54 AM

2005 C230
Originally Posted by patrick_y
I think that's a given. In fact, (and sorry to come from a negative perspective) they should have checked the brakes before they sold you the car in part of their 100+ point inspection list.

Make sure that you grind that dealer up, complain, be unhappy, etc. See if they give you anything else.

I had driven the car for about 5-6k miles when i went back. Anways the point is that most dealers that i have dealt with can be really big *******s about it and try everything to make you pay for them, with them i just made a call and it was done. They even came to me to pick up and dropp off. I guess i should say the customer serivce is great then? lol They were suppose to change the whole brake system but looks like they just changed pads and now after 1k miles the rotors have gotten worn out and they are coming tommorow to pick up and fix it so im pretty happy with the customer service. For service A and B i had a friend do it who use to work for mercedes dealership and now has his own place.....that saves alot of money.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Originally Posted by Untouchable08
I had driven the car for about 5-6k miles when i went back. Anways the point is that most dealers that i have dealt with can be really big *******s about it and try everything to make you pay for them, with them i just made a call and it was done. They even came to me to pick up and dropp off. I guess i should say the customer serivce is great then? lol They were suppose to change the whole brake system but looks like they just changed pads and now after 1k miles the rotors have gotten worn out and they are coming tommorow to pick up and fix it so im pretty happy with the customer service. For service A and B i had a friend do it who use to work for mercedes dealership and now has his own place.....that saves alot of money.
I'm glad that your dealer is so attentive.

Personally, since I'm too young to qualify for the loaner car, I unfortunately have to wait at the dealership until my car is finished (usually I get priority so it's not too long of a wait) or I have to take the shuttle. What I really would appreciate is if the dealer would come to my home and pick up the car. My local Lexus dealer performs such an operation and I'm thinking that I'd get a Lexus just for that very reason.

I'm still a sucker and I take my car to the dealer for service A and B. Haven't found a good independent shop otherwise. My C230 has only gotten 12002 miles on it so it's only been to service A once so far.

Your dealer is better than most Mercedes-Benz dealers, however, that's because other Mercedes-Benz dealers are sub-par. I'm impressed that they are willing to change the rotors as well. If I ever bought a pre-owned car from my dealership, they probably wouldn't change the pads and rotors if it required it within 5k miles. And if they did, they would probably only change the pads, even though whenever I go in to change the pads on the car, they tell me that I ABSOLUTELY SHOULD change the rotors as well.

Question, how many miles was it for the first brake pad change? Then how much longer is it now that you're going for the rotors? This is something that worries me somewhat because the pad and rotor job is around $1500 at my local dealership (for all four corners).
Old 07-03-2006, 05:14 AM

2005 C230
I don't remember when i changed them the first time... Its funny though the 2006 was only 4k more if i bought new..but i had to get the Kompressor =\. When you change rotors you have to change pads....so my dealer is giving me a break...really nice guy. Next time i will have my friends change them for me just pay the 500 or so in parts.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Originally Posted by Untouchable08
I don't remember when i changed them the first time... Its funny though the 2006 was only 4k more if i bought new..but i had to get the Kompressor =\. When you change rotors you have to change pads....so my dealer is giving me a break...really nice guy. Next time i will have my friends change them for me just pay the 500 or so in parts.
Do you mean when you change pads, you have to change rotors?

I knew it always went the other way around.

But since I replace both of them at the same time (at least that's what I'm expecting the dealer to tell me to do), I guess it doesn't matter to me.

In your case, I might've just gone with the 06. The 05 isn't necessarily better than the 06. I don't think it's any worse either. But for a $4k difference, a brand new car sounds much more attractive (assuming that you're getting the same equipment).
Old 07-03-2006, 08:00 AM

Talking

Yes, it's definitely not a respected job, and I don't think I'd want to be in such a position.

Regarding the techs, I think they make more than $30 an hour. From my understanding, the detail boys already make $12 an hour.

I don't understand, what does the GM do? They don't seem to do very much. Personally, I wouldn't mind to buy into a partnership at a dealership.

I used to be neighbored with the former owner of my local Mercedes, BMW, Porsche dealership. He sold the BMW dealership to Autonation Corporation a few years ago for cash and stock. Supposedly, from what I hear from the other sales agents, he made nearly 100M before taxes on that single BMW dealership after he sold the stock (which he had to hold on for a year in which it substantially increased in value). Recently, he has retired and unloaded the Mercedes and Porsche dealership to Fletcher Jones. I imagine him to be a very wealthy man.

Also, a new dealership was started about two years ago in the neighboring town of San Jose, CA. The acquisition of the land (in not the most desirable location), the construction of the buildings, and etc (without inventory) supposedly cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $35M. Supposedly, the dealership is for sale today because its sales are not as strong as previously forecasted.

Personally, I believe that I'd enjoy the job of working at a dealership, but not as a salesman. I believe that there should be some sort of new dealership concept; one person who is not commission based doing the selling, and another salaried person filling out the paperwork for sold cars. Obviously, this wouldn't work, but this would be ideal. All you get nowadays at the dealership are sales agents that know less about the cars than we do.
I think you hit the nail on the head, locally ,there are a couple dealerships that have salaried positions out front and in service... there is quite a difference in the level of service, in that they seem to concentrate on what is really needed w/o the push to buy/sell .... but then again, the dealership would have to pick their employees , wouldn't want someone to get lazy... lol

A
Old 07-03-2006, 08:31 AM

Question

Do you mean when you change pads, you have to change rotors?

I knew it always went the other way around.

But since I replace both of them at the same time (at least that's what I'm expecting the dealer to tell me to do), I guess it doesn't matter to me.

In your case, I might've just gone with the 06. The 05 isn't necessarily better than the 06. I don't think it's any worse either. But for a $4k difference, a brand new car sounds much more attractive (assuming that you're getting the same equipment).
Any repair shop should measure the rotor thickness when they are replacing the pads - if its under spec, then they should suggest to replace them at the same time. Sure you could save money by only doing pads, when the rotors are already too thin, but why?

A
Old 07-03-2006, 10:17 AM

'14 A6 3.0 TFSI
...Personally, since I'm too young to qualify for the loaner car, I unfortunately have to wait at the dealership until my car is finished (usually I get priority so it's not too long of a wait) or I have to take the shuttle. What I really would appreciate is if the dealer would come to my home and pick up the car...
I used to have this same issue. Luckily my salesman was nice enough to loan me his car for the day so I didn't have to wait. He was a great guy; I was sad to see him go. It's difficult to find a good sales rep. But on the flip side, he went into the home mortgage business and he did a great job for me there as well. :-)
Old 07-03-2006, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Originally Posted by ALPHA
I think you hit the nail on the head, locally ,there are a couple dealerships that have salaried positions out front and in service... there is quite a difference in the level of service, in that they seem to concentrate on what is really needed w/o the push to buy/sell .... but then again, the dealership would have to pick their employees , wouldn't want someone to get lazy... lol

A
Unfortunately, nobody at my local dealership is like that. It's cut-throat commissions. And the sharks are hungry. My service advisor is both salaried and paid on commission, I assume that the bigger half of his pay comes from commission.

Regarding the brakes, I'm just skeptical that they need replacing of the rotors so quickly. Even Ferrari uses the rotors for two pad jobs. And plus, I've heard of some drivers with the same car that only did rotors on every other pad job and they didn't seem to have any braking issues either.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Originally Posted by ffejalink
I used to have this same issue. Luckily my salesman was nice enough to loan me his car for the day so I didn't have to wait. He was a great guy; I was sad to see him go. It's difficult to find a good sales rep. But on the flip side, he went into the home mortgage business and he did a great job for me there as well. :-)
Well, I'll be darned. I really think the salesmen here are not that great. They make you buy something you don't need and they take your money and never give anything back to you.

Now, my local dealership does "try" (a vain effort) to give back to the community by providing free car washes to its clients.

But, what I really want is a track day. They ought to organize a track day for their Porsche and Mercedes 500-600 series and AMG car clients.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:44 AM

Anyone in Bay Area recommend other places for service?

Just purchased a preowned MB e320 for my dad. Purchase price was ideal but the cost of the upkeep seems steep. Own Acura MDX, dealer serviced but no where near MB.
Does anyone have any recommendation for a local shop that could take care of the MB...great service with good price?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 08-02-2006, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Originally Posted by megabuck2
Just purchased a preowned MB e320 for my dad. Purchase price was ideal but the cost of the upkeep seems steep. Own Acura MDX, dealer serviced but no where near MB.
Does anyone have any recommendation for a local shop that could take care of the MB...great service with good price?

Thanks,

Mike
First of all, for a new guy on the forums, congratulations on using the search feature properly.

If you are in the San Francisco Bay Area (Bay Area could be a lot of places for example Tampa Bay Area (Florida) and are near Silicon Valley, I go to Fletcher Jones Motor Cars in Fremont. Excellent and experienced service. Let me know if you need a referral, my service agent is helpful and knowledgeable.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:26 AM

Red face

Well, I'll be darned. I really think the salesmen here are not that great. They make you buy something you don't need and they take your money and never give anything back to you.

Now, my local dealership does "try" (a vain effort) to give back to the community by providing free car washes to its clients.

But, what I really want is a track day. They ought to organize a track day for their Porsche and Mercedes 500-600 series and AMG car clients.

We tried to put together a 500/600/AMG driving event once, everyone ended up trying to bring their " other " cars... which didn't make sense.

A
Old 08-03-2006, 12:52 PM

05' C230K Sport Sedan
First of all, for a new guy on the forums, congratulations on using the search feature properly.

If you are in the San Francisco Bay Area (Bay Area could be a lot of places for example Tampa Bay Area (Florida) and are near Silicon Valley, I go to Fletcher Jones Motor Cars in Fremont. Excellent and experienced service. Let me know if you need a referral, my service agent is helpful and knowledgeable.
I also went to Fremont Fletcher Jones for all my services done so far. They do have great service, but seem to be charging more than others. My service A done there costed me $300 plus tax, a price that is higher than all the others been discussed here. This makes me hesitated to do my upcoming service B with them....

Also the car loaner service associated with them wasn't being honest. When I did my Service A and asked for the free loaner, they had couple Mercedes in the lot but told me they "could not find the keys", and so i ended up getting a Malibu (which wasn't a bad car to be honest). Come on guys...who would believe that? I mean, at least say those cars are reserved or something that is far more convincible.

With this being said, I will still do my future services over there because it's so close to my house. But I might make some phone calls to other dealers in the area for their prices and ask Fletcher to price match if others are lower.