C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

2006 Fiber Optic ?? MBUSA.com

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Fiber Optic ?? MBUSA.com

Hi All,
After reading the BLOG, everyone said I can upgrade my sound system easily because its the non H/K system. However I went to Sound Advice and the guy said he cannot do anything with my car unless they rewire the entire car? Is this true? I have a 2006 C230 with the non harmon/kardon system...Please advise...

I also checked MBUSA.com and it said the under "specifications" under "Interior features", under "audio/telematics" that ....

"Fiber-optic network offers precise, high-speed communication among components. Factory preparation for optional CD changer and cellular phone."

I want to prove the guys at sound advice wrong after searhing this blog but according to MBUSA its fiber optic? now I'm confused???? Can anyone tell me for sure if thats true or not??

Thanks!!
Ray
Old 07-13-2006, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
You car does have orange colored fiber optic cables in it that use a MOST (Media Oriented System Transport) protocol to communicate between the head unit (radio) phone, CD changer, and SAT receiver. In HK systems it also carries audio signals and control data to the separate amp and subwoofer.

If you do not have a phone, HK system. cd changer, or SAT receiver the MOST fiber optics are dark. That means not working.

I am not sure what kind of upgrade you are looking for, but there is little available that is better than the stock system, that fits and integrates with the existing systems.

The standard HU (head unit) has a power amp that distributes sound to the six speakers in the car on wires. You could add an amp to pump out more power, but that will not improve the quality of The Black Eyed Peas.

The standard HU also allow control from the wheel buttons, and the MFD (Multi-function display) displays limited data from the HU. Almost all other solutions force you to loose those features.

There is also the "look" of the HU. The stock unit is carefully designed to flow with the other components in the car. It is not just a DIN box shoved into a rectangle.

Some people appreciate sound with a little more bass. For those people I suggest a Basslink II mounred in the trunk. The beauty of this gadget is that it adds way more bass than anyone needs, and it can house a four channel amp inside it's case to pump up the volume for the rest of the speakers. Using a pink noise calibration of this amp/sub combination yields a sound field as nice as stock, but much louder.

Basslink II link:

http://www.infinitysystems.com/caraudio/product.aspx?ProdId='BASSLINK+II'&Ser=BSL&Cat=PSU
Old 07-14-2006, 06:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
if you do not have h/k, then you can install a system if you want. If you decide to keep the original head unit then you will have to use a line level converter to get RCA's out and feed your amps.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
The Basslink II optional amp can be used without a line level converter Sunman. It has an attenuator built into the amp so the speaker leads can be used.

http://manuals.harman.com/INF/CAR/Ow...link4sc_OM.pdf