C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

2006 c230 sedan made in Brazil?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Double Stuff" SOLD | Nor*Cals "Pesky Audi"
Originally Posted by DukeBoy27
Moderator, if this topic has been discussed before, please move this post. I am not very good with searching, so I apologize in advance if I am asking questions that have been asked before.

The situation is that my wife really wants a c230 made in Germany, but the local dealership does not have one (all of its c230's are from Brazil). However, another dealership about 150 miles away does have a German-made one. My concern is how will buying from this dealership affect services and warranty work.

Will my wife still be able to service her MB at the local dealership, even though she did not purchase from there? And will she still have access to the MB loaners and all the nice things associated with owning a MB?

Will the local dealership be less willing to help her out with warranty work? Especially in cases where courtesy repairs are needed?

I am just not sure if buying a MB, but not from the local dealership, is a good idea.
Dont qoute me on this, but I think you should be fine. Think about the people that buy cars off ebay from dealerships, cross state(s)/cros country. You would think that it being MB the warranty is deemable at any MB dealership. It is their product, and its under the same warrantry offered from dealership a, dealership b, and so forth.

Just because it wasn't purchase from a local dealership doesn't mean they would [at least they shouldn't] turn their cheek the other way and force you to go to the dealership 150 miles away.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
You have had three threads merged into 1, so far. All of the subject matters you have started threads on could be asked in the initial thread you started. If you have any questions relating to this first thread, please DO NOT start another thread.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:32 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Moderator, if this topic has been discussed before, please move this post. I am not very good with searching, so I apologize in advance if I am asking questions that have been asked before.
Here is an instructional video for you: Searching and you.

You'd be amazed how quickly you find answers to your questions once you master that skill.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:40 PM

R350
Originally Posted by drexappeal
You have had three threads merged into 1, so far. All of the subject matters you have started threads on could be asked in the initial thread you started. If you have any questions relating to this first thread, please DO NOT start another thread.
Thanks Mr. Moderator, I will keep that in mind!
Old 07-20-2006, 06:42 PM

R350
Originally Posted by amdeutsch
Here is an instructional video for you: Searching and you.

You'd be amazed how quickly you find answers to your questions once you master that skill.
Usually I serve the newbies with that... guess I got served today...

Sorry guys, just in a hurry to get some answers. Anticipated purchase time is less than 48 hours.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:46 PM

R350
Originally Posted by e1000
you can have your local dealership get the car you want. If you deal correctly, they might even waive the transportation cost. You will be buying the car from your local dealership, but they will get the car from the other dealership.
Would that be something I have to ask for? Because the local dealership claimed they could not find the c230 I want (silver, made in Germany). I had to call around to find it.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:48 PM

R350
Originally Posted by BadAssC230k
Dont qoute me on this, but I think you should be fine. Think about the people that buy cars off ebay from dealerships, cross state(s)/cros country. You would think that it being MB the warranty is deemable at any MB dealership. It is their product, and its under the same warrantry offered from dealership a, dealership b, and so forth.

Just because it wasn't purchase from a local dealership doesn't mean they would [at least they shouldn't] turn their cheek the other way and force you to go to the dealership 150 miles away.
Well, I don't think they would turn my wife away. I am just worried that she will not get all the perks since she did not buy the car from them.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:00 PM

'06 C230 Capri Blue
Should be no problem. Sales and Services are separate departments in most cases. We bought our car 700 miles away with a dealer I liked and I went to pick it up... no problems with the dealers here (or anywhere else for that matter) for service. Go get the car you like from the dealer that has it. Negotiate a good deal to make it worth your while.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
Would that be something I have to ask for? Because the local dealership claimed they could not find the c230 I want (silver, made in Germany). I had to call around to find it.
lol - show up with a VIN and say search again
Old 07-20-2006, 11:50 PM

Dia Blk '06 C230 w/3 pedals
Originally Posted by k_lundquist
The first time you own a car that's been a lemon due to where it was made you'll start checking. I've had some experience with a family member and a friend both owning VWs that were Made in Mexico and were riddled with problems vs. thier German made counter parts.
I wouldn't take one instance and apply it to the entire industry. For example the first new car I ever bought on my was a Jeep Wrangler. American car but made in Canada. The speedo/odometer stopped working for about 10/15k miles, then started working again one day out of the blue. Did I blame the "American engineering"? Nope. Did I blame the Canadians eh? Nope. Sometimes ***** happens.

Originally Posted by Anonymouse
If they are being assembled using identical parts, identical machinery and identical QA procedures why should there be any difference in th final product other than the human quotient? And I'm confident you are not suggesting that the quality of humans in Germany is superior to the ones in Brazil

I'd totally agree with you on this if the facility follows the above criteria you listed. Plenty of companies go for cheaper labor in different countries.
But that is exactly what happens. Do you really think the cars are assembled in the middle of the Amazon with the production line consisting of banyan trees and "tarzan vines"?

And anonymouse, there's no need for some of the scathing comments you've posted just cause your 2006 is made in Brazil. Why don't you tell DukeBoy about your experience with the car so far since you already drive what he's thinking about getting?
Originally Posted by Anonymouse
If they are being assembled using identical parts, identical machinery and identical QA procedures why should there be any difference in th final product other than the human quotient? And I'm confident you are not suggesting that the quality of humans in Germany is superior to the ones in Brazil

Or are you? *snicker*
No scathing comments - just a lil tongue in cheek to point out the absurdity of the statement that was made. If it made you feel a little uncomfortable pehaps it hit a little too close to home

Lemme tell you about my Brazillian car

It has a Jeckle & Hyde type personality. During normal day-2-day driving it is sedate and quick enuff to do well on the American Autobahn aka Capitol Beltway, a road where if you are doing 65 you had better be in the slow lane. First gear is quite easy to bog so right off teh line it is not the quickest thing on the road. But when you get out on the open road is where it really shows its' legs.

My first real roadtrip was to Boston right before Xmas. Cruising the Jesy Turnpike at 90/100 felt like you were doing 60/65. Car was rock solid, tracked well, great road feel (not Bimmerlike but still exceptional), etc. Eve at high speed the mileage was great. Now on the way back is when it really shined. Maybe it was because I was going downhill but I made it back in record time and the car was barely breathing hard. And yes I drive fast but it was Xmas Eve's eve and I had to be back home before a certain time and traffick was moving that day. One stop for gas in Jersey was all it took to get me from Boston to DC area.

Quality: I put a lot of miles on carsand asa result, road debris (rocks, stones,etc) show their mark on the car. But the paint is rather durable. I currently am at 25k miles on my car and it ALMOST looks brand new (dinged a curb the other day while looking at a house ). Now I am a simple guy and I truly believe the more gadgets yu have, teh more your ***** will break down and my car reflects my minimalist nature. I think the only option I have is the sunroof package. When I first got it the Cd player acted a lil quirky and would sporatically not recognize cdroms that it had played in the past. But that stopped after I complained to the dealer (who couldn't replicate the issue). I like the fact that when my little one jumps in teh front seat, it automatically deactivates teh pasenger airbag. I like the features on teh remote except teh IR window unroll thing: that should have been RF also. But I guess it stops you from leaning on your keys and rolling your windows down during a rainstorm.

Handling: I am a Bimmerman but I am quite impressed with this car. While it doesn't handle like slotcarI can really thread my way through traffic when I am in NYC quite easily.

Engine: Decent top end, could use more torque on the low end and it is easy to bog off the line if you aren't careful. Another 20/30 fp of torque would make it perfect. 4k rpm is when Mr. Hyde comes out. Oh and I am convinced German horses are bigger than any others. I've personally witnessed cars that make 40, 50 even 60 more hp uneable to just walk away. The shock on their faces when my lowly 230 is still on their *** after they have "dropped the hammer" will never get old

Tranny (transmission that is): Smooth shifting car. Forget about 6th gear - is only for highway cruising. Fourth gear is your friend

Sound System: the car can samba like no other

Now if I could only get these bloody rocks to stop pelting my windshield...
Old 07-21-2006, 03:15 PM

07 G35 Sport 6MT, 2005 C230K SS (sold), 1998 Jeep GC 4x4 (da-heep!)
Originally Posted by anonymouse
I wouldn't take one instance and apply it to the entire industry. For example the first new car I ever bought on my was a Jeep Wrangler. American car but made in Canada. The speedo/odometer stopped working for about 10/15k miles, then started working again one day out of the blue. Did I blame the "American engineering"? Nope. Did I blame the Canadians eh? Nope. Sometimes ***** happens.
My comment was not to imply that one instance should be viewed as the norm but rather that there are people who do care where a car is manufactured.

But that is exactly what happens. Do you really think the cars are assembled in the middle of the Amazon with the production line consisting of banyan trees and "tarzan vines"?.
I gotta admit that was pretty funny.

No scathing comments - just a lil tongue in cheek to point out the absurdity of the statement that was made. If it made you feel a little uncomfortable pehaps it hit a little too close to home
Riiiight - anyway good write up on your car.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:24 PM

07 G35 Sport 6MT, 2005 C230K SS (sold), 1998 Jeep GC 4x4 (da-heep!)
The situation is that my wife really wants a c230 made in Germany, but the local dealership does not have one (all of its c230's are from Brazil). However, another dealership about 150 miles away does have a German-made one. My concern is how will buying from this dealership affect services and warranty work.

Will my wife still be able to service her MB at the local dealership, even though she did not purchase from there? And will she still have access to the MB loaners and all the nice things associated with owning a MB?

Will the local dealership be less willing to help her out with warranty work? Especially in cases where courtesy repairs are needed?

I am just not sure if buying a MB, but not from the local dealership, is a good idea.
There are two major MB dealers in my area. One's called Mauro Motors the other New Country Mercedes Benz. I bought from Mauro initially, sales gave me a good price. But thier service was horrid. (First time I brought the car in I saw some punk kid / tech take it for a joy ride)

All my service is done at the other dealership and there's no issue with the fact that I didn't buy it from them. In fact I think they're happy I go to them instead, more money in service and they know if I get another MB it'll be from them.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:47 PM

Dia Blk '06 C230 w/3 pedals
STOP THE PRESSES!!!!!!!!!

I just came in from washing my baby and I peeked at the door handle. My car was not made in Brazil but in Germany!!!! Great - now I gotta sell this friggin thing

*ejects samba CD and puts in German folk music*
Old 07-21-2006, 07:34 PM

R350
STOP THE PRESSES!!!!!!!!!

I just came in from washing my baby and I peeked at the door handle. My car was not made in Brazil but in Germany!!!! Great - now I gotta sell this friggin thing

*ejects samba CD and puts in German folk music*
Lol... so yours was actually assembled in Germany instead of Brazil.

Ugh, this assembly place thing is really taking a toll on the potential purchase. My wife may end up just ordering a Mini.

Thanks for all the help so far... will let you guys know what happens tomorrow when we go back to the dealership
Old 07-22-2006, 12:36 AM

Received 87 Likes on 83 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Saloon
Lol... so yours was actually assembled in Germany instead of Brazil.
Yeah, but was it made during Oktoberfest??? Inquiring mind will skip this.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:16 PM

R350
Thanks for the input everyone!

My wife is now the proud owner of a GERMAN-assembled c230 sports.

The salesman ambushed us with a German c230 with only 21mi on it when we went to the dealership today. Although he was not willing to go below invoice , my wife liked the car so she bought it.

The c230 is not my car, but I hope to stay active on this forum and learn about MB. Will post pics later, can I start a new thread for that?

Last edited by DukeBoy27; 07-22-2006 at 10:22 PM.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:32 AM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Will post pics later, can I start a new thread for that?
Not sure if you can or not. Depends on your capabilities?

There is a picture sticky up top.
Old 07-23-2006, 06:49 AM

'06 C230 Capri Blue
Thanks for the input everyone!
The salesman ambushed us with a German c230 with only 21mi on it when we went to the dealership today. Although he was not willing to go below invoice , my wife liked the car so she bought it.
Classic... never let on how much you like the car as it reduces your negotiating power. Salesman knew exactly what he was doing. As long as everyone is happy now, I guess.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:31 AM
Almost a Member!

question...

i don't have my 2006 C230 window sticker. but, inside the area of the front driver's side door the little sticker where the VIN is says "Made in Germany." I would assume my car is, well, made in Germany and not Brazil. yes?
Old 08-10-2006, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Ok, I was reading this thread last month and was curious about the Brazil/Germany thing.. I've got to tell you, every time I've been by my local dealer, I've been looking at the MSRP stickers see where the final assembly point was. I have found nothing but German assembled C's. There were a few different cities listed, but all were definately Germany. Obviously, my example here is an 07. I'm pretty sure MB would not have shifted production back for 07.
2006 c230 sedan made in Brazil?-photo_080106_005.jpg
Old 08-10-2006, 07:23 PM

R350
Originally Posted by bender73
question...

i don't have my 2006 C230 window sticker. but, inside the area of the front driver's side door the little sticker where the VIN is says "Made in Germany." I would assume my car is, well, made in Germany and not Brazil. yes?
I have no clue, since the dealership found one made in Germany, so I can't look myself. But you can probably drop by your dealership and see if there is any 2006 left in stock that is assembled in Brazil, then see what it says on the door.

If it makes you feel any better. I really don't think there is a difference where the car is assembled, since the parts are all from Germany. It is more psychological than anything else.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:51 PM

R350
Originally Posted by ScottW911
Ok, I was reading this thread last month and was curious about the Brazil/Germany thing.. I've got to tell you, every time I've been by my local dealer, I've been looking at the MSRP stickers see where the final assembly point was. I have found nothing but German assembled C's. There were a few different cities listed, but all were definately Germany. Obviously, my example here is an 07. I'm pretty sure MB would not have shifted production back for 07.
Attachment 88388
What state are you in?

I would think the Brazilian cars are not evenly spread out around the country. Anyhow, but I think the ones assembled in Brazil are relatively rare, since even the dealerships in my state hardly noticed them. Most salesmen were surprised when I pointed that out on the sticker.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:13 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Originally Posted by nlpamg
No.

I only thought the new coupes were being made in Brazil, I didn't know the sedans or even the current models were being made there already.

I guess if they transfer all of the C-Class assembly to Brazil, then this will be the last C-Class I own.
C240s (some but not all) have been made in Brazil since the beginning of the W203 line. This is not a new topic, nor are the comments. Note the dates in these threads...

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ghlight=brazil

Old 08-11-2006, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
What state are you in?

I would think the Brazilian cars are not evenly spread out around the country. Anyhow, but I think the ones assembled in Brazil are relatively rare, since even the dealerships in my state hardly noticed them. Most salesmen were surprised when I pointed that out on the sticker.
Southern California.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:55 PM

'06 sport made in Brazil, wtf?

im probably the last guy who noticed that,
I was really gonna buy it, but now i have second thoughts....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2006 c230 sedan made in Brazil?