C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

6spd vs. Auto [Steptronic]

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dia Blk '06 C230 w/3 pedals
Originally Posted by iriefreek
Ha ha... yes it's a little odd but it makes the center tunnel look nice and clean without a hand brake sticking up don't ya think?
true. And it doesn't get in the way while performing erotic calisthenics

j/k

or am I?
Old 07-21-2006, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

"Double Stuff" SOLD | Nor*Cals "Pesky Audi"
Originally Posted by anonymouse
true. And it doesn't get in the way while performing erotic calisthenics

j/k

or am I?

ayyyye! ya see that... the good ol boys at MB plannin ahead!
Old 07-21-2006, 03:37 PM

2005 C230 Sport Sedan w/Automatic
Go for the 6speed. I got the auto on mine and regret it. For my tastes, the auto is too quick to upshift and to slow to down shift. I tried driving it hard to see if the transmission adjusted to my driving style, but I couldn't detect a difference.

LeifW
Old 07-21-2006, 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by LeifW
Go for the 6speed. I got the auto on mine and regret it. For my tastes, the auto is too quick to upshift and to slow to down shift. I tried driving it hard to see if the transmission adjusted to my driving style, but I couldn't detect a difference.

LeifW

WEll im wondering if any ECU chips or comp chips can adgjust shift points within the comp system itself. I know they are offered on a few diff cars as after market parts. But then it starts dippin into gas mileage, etc etc.

I think the only reason I'm interested in a 5spd Steptronic is cause of the servicing on the tranny. The lack there of replacement of clutches, flywheels and so on. Although this is is still playing back and forth in my my mind, I still have some time before it comes to the purchase of one.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by BadAssC230k
WEll im wondering if any ECU chips or comp chips can adgjust shift points within the comp system itself. I know they are offered on a few diff cars as after market parts. But then it starts dippin into gas mileage, etc etc.

I think the only reason I'm interested in a 5spd Steptronic is cause of the servicing on the tranny. The lack there of replacement of clutches, flywheels and so on. Although this is is still playing back and forth in my my mind, I still have some time before it comes to the purchase of one.
I've never had to replace a clutch in my life.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:56 AM

Is @ Home
I've never had to replace a clutch in my life.
wow, is that from your own personal experience or does it apply to all mercedes? how much does replacing the clutch run abuot?
Old 07-22-2006, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Tangerine
wow, is that from your own personal experience or does it apply to all mercedes? how much does replacing the clutch run abuot?
Personal experience. When I got rid of my last car it had 193k miles on it and it was on the original clutch I think clutches will run you about $500 - $700, maybe a little cheaper if you get an aftermarket high performance version rather than the staock unit.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Personal experience. When I got rid of my last car it had 193k miles on it and it was on the original clutch I think clutches will run you about $500 - $700, maybe a little cheaper if you get an aftermarket high performance version rather than the staock unit.
no chit?! wow totally didn't know that at all. yet after everyones rave revues about the 6spd, i think i owe it to myself [as well as everyone on here] to at least test drive the 6spd.

New project for the week, heh. Beware locla MB dealerships
Old 07-22-2006, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 and 2002 E320
You should do some research about how long clutches last on Mercedes Benz cars. I've had a friend who killed the clutch on a brand new Mercedes Benz in a single day, the car was only bought last night, in about 24 hours the clutch was so gone that it was slipping terribly. Then again, he was a stunt driver for a movie and naturally driving the car very aggressively.

Do some research, the clutch probably costs just under $1000, but with the labour, it may be much more. Plus, try to research how long they last. Of course, if you're an experienced manual driver, the clutch will last longer, compared to a noob who may be "riding" on the clutch or shifting improperly creating greater wear and tear.

I always do research about the maintenance before I buy the car so I don't get any surprises and I know when things will need to be changed. I once noticed an ignorant person on the forums here who was exclaiming "What? A bloody oil change costs $500?" When people do that, I sit here thinking, "they've got more money than brains, they should know that just because you can afford a European car doesn't necessarily mean you can afford its maintenance." Then again, these people have neither money nor brains. I almost wonder what they're going to say when they get to the $1500 60,000 mile tune up. Poor blokes.

I have to say, Mercedes Benz has done a good job at making people buy the car faster than they should. Then, the ignorant consumers get stuck when it comes to the maintenance. I think this is a bad thing because these people who are shocked by the maintenance sometimes get rid of their cars (with about 13k miles) and thus, there is a flood of 05 C230K SS cars on the preowned market which kills the resale value.
Old 07-22-2006, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by patrick_y
You should do some research about how long clutches last on Mercedes Benz cars. I've had a friend who killed the clutch on a brand new Mercedes Benz in a single day, the car was only bought last night, in about 24 hours the clutch was so gone that it was slipping terribly. Then again, he was a stunt driver for a movie and naturally driving the car very aggressively.

Do some research, the clutch probably costs just under $1000, but with the labour, it may be much more. Plus, try to research how long they last. Of course, if you're an experienced manual driver, the clutch will last longer, compared to a noob who may be "riding" on the clutch or shifting improperly creating greater wear and tear.

I always do research about the maintenance before I buy the car so I don't get any surprises and I know when things will need to be changed. I once noticed an ignorant person on the forums here who was exclaiming "What? A bloody oil change costs $500?" When people do that, I sit here thinking, "they've got more money than brains, they should know that just because you can afford a European car doesn't necessarily mean you can afford its maintenance." Then again, these people have neither money nor brains. I almost wonder what they're going to say when they get to the $1500 60,000 mile tune up. Poor blokes.

I have to say, Mercedes Benz has done a good job at making people buy the car faster than they should. Then, the ignorant consumers get stuck when it comes to the maintenance. I think this is a bad thing because these people who are shocked by the maintenance sometimes get rid of their cars (with about 13k miles) and thus, there is a flood of 05 C230K SS cars on the preowned market which kills the resale value.

points well taken. a searchin i will go
Old 07-23-2006, 02:51 AM

Is @ Home
Originally Posted by patrick_y

thanks patrick_y for the helpful info. since i recently purchased my car with a new clutch from the factory and being a good/decent (not noob) manual driver i expect to have my clutch for a while before getting a new one so i didn't feel the need to search for clutches yet. i am aware that clutches need to be changed and it does vary from person to person but when anonymouse told me that he have never changed the clutch in his car i was wondering if this was only a mercedes thing or if it was the driver