C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Problems with auto tranny. Please help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2002, 07:50 PM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C200 Kompressor
Unhappy Problems with auto tranny. Please help!

Hi folks.

Problems started yesterday. After flooring my car from a red-light the gear-box appeared to be stuck in second gear. After slowing down a bit (using the brakes), the third, fourth and fifth gear engaged as intended.

Same thing occured earlier this evening. After slowing down completely there was a "clunk"-noise as the first gear engaged. No problems afterwards. Gearbox worked as intended. And now recently when I was on my way home, the gear-box initially worked as it should, but after stopping at a red light, the gear-box was locked into second gear (what I believe is the limp-mode). Half a minute later the "check engine" light came on. I pulled over and stopped the car. Started it again, but the limp-mode and check engine light remained there. So now my car is in the garage with what appears to be a faulty gear-box .

Anyone else had this problem. I tried to search the forums and found some related issues on CLK's and ML's, but none on the C's. Any suggestions on what can be wrong. Any suggestions on how much it will be to fix.

Thanks in advance for any kind of feedback!
Old 08-24-2002, 07:55 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Sorry to hear about this, DtS. At least you made it to the dealership without much trouble. I'm sure they will discover the problem and fix it. Make sure they tell you what the problem was so you can document it here.
Old 08-24-2002, 08:00 PM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
Unfortunately I didn't make it to the dealer MB-BOB. It's in the middle of the night here and I was kind of happy just to get my car home. It's now in my garage, not the dealers . I have a feeling that this will be an expensive fix, since MB Sweden only gives a one year warranty for machine related failures. My car is older that that....
Old 08-25-2002, 08:01 AM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
Some updates. Went out for a short test-drive and found to my surprise that the gear-box now would use all 5 gears. The Check-engine light is still on though... And the tranny appears to be in W-mode, even though the MFD says it's in S-mode. This is a mystery. Looks like some kind of electrical gizmo to me, rather than a gear-box failure.... Still very annoying though.
Old 08-25-2002, 10:55 AM

You are probably right that it's an electrical problem, probably a switch. I've heard of similar trouble with some Audi/VW multifunction switches going bad causing the same trouble. Hopefully that's all it is...
Old 08-25-2002, 03:50 PM

Just a thought, but maybe you could disconnect the battery for a while and see what happens. Maybe it will "reset" the system and the problem disappears?
Old 08-25-2002, 06:43 PM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
Originally posted by Freddy
Just a thought, but maybe you could disconnect the battery for a while and see what happens. Maybe it will "reset" the system and the problem disappears?
Yes, I thought the very same thought. However I am afraid this will also erase the stored fault-codes, if this turn out not to help.

Question: Will disconnecting the battery erase stored fault-codes?
Question2: How long must the battery be disconnected for the systems to purge?