C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Service Warning. How free is free?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2002, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 C-Coupe
Service Warning. How free is free?

List members I have some very good advice for those who live in the bay area and are considering where to take your car for service.

RAB Motors (Marin) have just treated my car like c##p. From my experience I would recommend against trusting your car with them.

1. Coupe returned dirty inside and out. With half a dozen large (cd size) black greese stains on the inside of my previous perfect oyster leather.

2. Coupe was gassed to full on day of drop off, but was returned with 300 additional miles and an empty tank of gas.

3. I dropped the car off to RAB having collected the day before from the detailers, who waxed and valeted the car. Car was returned with a coat of dirt inside and out.

4. Centre console ash tray area no longer opens by pushing. Not that I would ever have considered using it for anything other than toll money.

5. Rear brakes now creak at stop and start.

6. Dirty elastic bands found stuffed in areas of car.

7. After compaining about the gas being empty he returns with 1/4 of a tank, after I just dumped $31 on filling up their loaner.

When I picked up the loaner they sat me down and told me not to scrape the wheels or there would be an initial $100 charge to my credit card. If we had a beverage in the car and any got on the inside we would have to pay for a full detail. We were told if the tank came back empty they would charge @ $3.25 per gallon.

Can you believe it?

Nathan
Old 08-26-2002, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Nathan, this is outrageous. I would complain to the GM, MB regional representative and the corporate. None of my cars have ever been treated like that. 300 miles means someone took your car for a serious spin... I'm speachless...

Last edited by vadim; 08-26-2002 at 10:45 PM.
Old 08-26-2002, 11:05 PM

Awaiting a new arrival...
I would suggest a call to the service manager, the general manager and the owner tomorrow morning. Be calm and collected and ask for a meeting. I would request the name and number of the regional MBZ rep so he can be dialed in to discuss this matter with everyone pertinent.

I would also recommend calling MBUSA and filing a grievance with them regarding your treatment.

If any of your local tv stations have a troubleshooter, get them involved, too. Do not be afraid to slam the dealer after calm approaches go unheard. Demand the car be returned the way it was and a credit for the added miles. Suggest the car will be finger printed for signs of others driving the car, too.

Excessive, yes, but if it were mine, someone would be bleeding already...Good luck.
Old 08-26-2002, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
That's crazy. I think you've been treated terribly. I think slcvr6's advice is sound - I don't think the service manager or general manager of the dealership will stand for it (I'd hope).

BT
Old 08-27-2002, 12:02 AM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
WOW, i would've never accepted the car like that with out first talking to the service manager and also to the sales manager, it just makes me upset to hear what they did to you and your car!
You gotta write to someone at MBUSA and c.c. to a lot of people!
Old 08-27-2002, 12:17 AM

2002 C320
RAB SUX

I purchased my car from RAB and was extremely unhappy with the overall experience. I made sure to attach a detailed letter to my MB survey, but alas MB seemed to think it was a dealer issue that they could not control (I would have just hoped for a sincere apology from MB)

Needless to say, I will never be taking my car back for service at RAB.

Also, I believe the license plate combination, RAB SUX, is still available in CA.
Old 08-27-2002, 12:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe
sorry to hear about that. possibly they mistakenly treated your car as one of the loaners and thus gave it to a customer for fun driving.

i had pleasant experience with the service at Symthe European at San Jose, detailed car washes, but their techs seem moronic.

i'm very pleased with the techs quality at SF Mercedes (this is where they fixed my car's alignment problem which Symthe wasn't able to after 2 visits), but the service seems so so. no car washes, no loaners, and the service rep. seemed too busy to talk to me.

but i'll still bring my car to Symthe for Severice A because i think even a lest trained tech should not mess up an oil change (except the tech who did Buell's car of course )
Old 08-27-2002, 01:22 AM
Almost a Member!

02 C230 w/C2 & C7
Wow RAB does suck!!!!!

I got my car at Autobahn motors in Belmont (San Mateo), and my overall experience was very good.

I had noticed a paint flaw on the strip right under the passenger side rear window and took it in for an exam. Without any hassle, they told me that they will order a new piece and replace it for me. A week later the part came in and I brought my car in. Later that day I came back to a perfect car that was washed and vaccumed and only 1 more mile added to the odometer. I would recommend taking your car over there if convenient.

I hope something gets done about what happened to you. Oh, you should go to Micheal Finney (7 on your side). I heard he's great. That has got to get thier attention
Old 08-27-2002, 02:01 AM
Banned

'01 C240/6
300 miles put on it??

One of the greasemonkeys obviously took the car out that night for a hot date. Oh, and those dirty "elastic" bands found stuffed throughout the car . . . well, looks like your car helped your greasemonkey score!
Old 08-27-2002, 07:52 AM

C230K Manny, Albaster White/Oyster Leather/C1/C5/C7/CD
Write a stinking letter addressed to the service manager of the dealer cc to the General Manager of MBUSA, Do not post it yet, but just show to them and tell them if they don't componsate you will post the letter.
Old 08-27-2002, 08:39 AM

Awaiting a new arrival...
Originally posted by SoCal240/6
300 miles put on it??

One of the greasemonkeys obviously took the car out that night for a hot date. Oh, and those dirty "elastic" bands found stuffed throughout the car . . . well, looks like your car helped your greasemonkey score!
You know, I think you need to have them disinfect the interior, as well.
Old 08-27-2002, 08:54 AM

2008 M6 Vert
I once got my BMW back from the local dealership with grease finger prints in the inside. I called BMW up and complained. They dealt with the dealership directly and I got a call back from the dealer apologizing and they paid for the car to be cleaned up by an independent car detailer.

Not sure if MB will do the same but I would certainly hope so. When I dropped my car off at the dealership for a service, I made sure I saw them put plastic all over the inside of my car. They will also log in the number of miles so there is no dispute when you get your car back.

Hope you get this thing settled with the least amount of distress.
Old 08-27-2002, 10:27 AM

C230K
300 miles borders on theft, certainly unauthorized use and depreciation of your vehicle
Old 08-27-2002, 10:49 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
WOW, 300 miles. That's insane. Normally, they document the check-in odometer reading. If so, you shuld be able to proove the excessive "test" mileage for the purpose of getting some cash and the correct reimbursement for fuel.

It's been suggested already, but I would go to the regional service manager and ask for the interior clean-up by another dealer or independent detailer.
Old 08-27-2002, 12:31 PM

Thanks for the warning, nboyd. I came close to buying from RAB, but since they weren't really into the whole "negotiating process," I got the deal I wanted from Smythe down in SJ. Couldn't believe RAB didn't try harder, they're only a couple miles from my house!

I just assumed after purchasing I would bring it to RAB for service, but your experience makes me wonder if that's such a good idea. And, from this forum it sounds like Smythe service isn't so great either. Only had the car 1 week ('03 c230, Desert Silver, Oyster leather, C2), so hopefully no service will be necessary for a while -- any *good* experiences with Bay Area MB service? I can take it to Oakland or SF, I guess. Any comments?

BTW, the purchasing experience from Smythe was really pleasant and quick.

Nboyd, hope they are able to make things right for you.
Old 08-27-2002, 01:26 PM

2002 C230 Coupe
Yes the service quality at Smythe is excellent, but definitely not the techs. SF Mercedes' techs are good but no car wash and loaners.
seems like there is no perfect world. so my conclusion is to bring my car to Smythe for simple maintence but to SFM for major things.
Old 08-27-2002, 05:44 PM

My heart sunk as I read your replies...

I had such a terrible time purchasing mine that I consider another local MB dealer for services. But reading yours pretty much put an end to all my hope

Why can't MB learn a chapter from Lex? How about just the first page where it printed "Dont sh*t on your customers - at least not 'til 3 days after they sign the dotted line."

ahhh...

Peace
Old 08-27-2002, 07:01 PM

2014 E350, 2008 C300 Sport
Good thing I didn't buy my car from RAB. I came close to it too. As for dealerships, I've always received great treatment from Von Housen in Sacramento. They always had an E320 loaner ready for me.. car washes every time I bring it in and service folks are always friendly. Anyone have a difference experience?
Old 08-27-2002, 07:31 PM

C230 C-Coupe
I had a message this morning saying the car was locked up the whole time it was with them and not driven. They also claim the gas tank was empty when they worked on the car.

The evening before I took the car to RAB I filled it up @ Arco in Berkeley, and I have the receipt to prove it.

I left another message with them re-iterating the other issues and in the message I said I will never use them again for service and not to bother calling me unless they have a huge apology.

I have not heard back since.

Nathan
Old 08-27-2002, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
a dealer that is dishonest and unethical will deny your claims forever... i wouldn't expect much at all from them. instead, i'd go over their heads to mbusa directly.
Old 08-27-2002, 08:15 PM

Dealership Problems

When I take my vehicle in for servicing, any vehicle... Ford Chevy Nissan or Mercedes I always check the mileage before they work on it. I have the service tec check the condition of the vehicle and note it IN WRITING. When I return for the vehicle I walk the dealership rep (the same one who took care of me the first time ) and have him (or her) acknowledge the condition of the vehicle inside and out. I do not let the dealership wash the vehicle as that may hide any scratches in the vehicle while service is done on it. I walk around the vehicle checking for any scratches on the outside and I have the tec with me at all times. I open all the doors and check the inside for any problems, and I do all of this outside in the sunlight. I do not let the service tec walk away until I am finished with checking the vehicle out. You know this sounds like I am a total nut about my auto however I have subcontracted for dealerships for twenty years and I have seen things that would make you sick. I have seen tecs use customers cars for pleasure, and tear up the vehicles. Years ago, in San Diego where I lived some tec's would drive customers cars home. One tec drove a customers auto home and wrecked it while DUI. The customer had alot of problems with thier insurance company because the other driver went after both the dealership and the customer insurance and it made for a mess. Another dealership that I have had dealings with was exchanging parts on customers cars and when I learned about thier scam I stopped doing business with them. Here in Tulsa a customer took his car in for some repairs at a auto dealership (with a big auto name attached to it). The customer was put off for two weeks, finally the customer was told that it was ready. The customer drove home and within a week they had to use the AC when they turned on the AC broken glass blew into thier faces. The customer took the vehicle to an independent source which told them the vehicle was in a wreck. In the end the customer learned that one of the managers of this dealership took the customer vehicle on a joy ride and ran over his ex wife with thier vehicle. The customer has a lawyer over this little suitation and I believe they are going to get a good settlement. Another big car dealership has the habbet of leaving the ignition keys in customer vehicles and two autos were taken and wrecked. Both vechicles are valued at 80,000.00 and the customer is not given the oppurtunity to get a new vehicle they were told that the vehicles were going to be fixed and that was the end of it (I gave one customer my attorneys phone number). I know from experience that any car dealership can and will screw up a car. The dealership will not tell you that they scratched your vehicle or stained your interior. If you find problems with the vehicle have the tec note it and take care of it. If he will not do anything get the manager. It the manager will not do anything about, keep going until you get somebody to accept the problem in writing!! You need to get photo's of it and documentation so if you go to court you will have something to fall back on. What would really need is another witness to document the problem. Having the vehicle detaled would help in a court of law if the detal was just before the vehicle was in for servicing and the problems documented. Hope this will help.
Old 08-27-2002, 08:25 PM

1995 Acura
Having been to both RAB and Smythe, Smythe is definitely better. I got an E320 loaner, very professional service, a nonfat latte, and so on.

RAB wasn't able to figure out how to fix my alignment or disconnect the annoying Bose AudioPilot feature. Smythe did them both on the first try.
Old 08-27-2002, 08:52 PM
rrf

Smythe, sound better that RAB, but.....

Actually Smythe isn't all that great. Very polite, Lattes and loaners yes, but techs......er.

Several months later, I am still in the queue from having my amplifier for the "keys" fixed. They really did a crappy job of reinstalling the headliner. Actually broke some small plastic tabs, the pillar panels were 1/2 inch off, the bulb was not reinstalled etc etc. AND some extra mileage (30?). I am just happy the keys now work properly.

BTW I fixed what I could myself (installed the lamp, adjusted the pillar etc, because I didn't want them touching the car any more than I needed them to.)

But, now they have to order the parts that they broke, and when they arrive I get to go back in. (Imagine having to remove the headliner to repair a key problem, ... nice design huh?, but that is a whole different topic.)

My service rep called and was nice enough to ask how everything was... This was when I told her I very disappointed. At this point she was given ONE final warning, if she screws this one up, all I can say is heaven help her, and the tech that puts a few extra miles on the C32. I'll give someone one chance but not two.

This forum is a great place to make our voices heard.
Old 08-27-2002, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did they even do the work? It sounds like the swapped cars as loaners. You got someone elses car as a loaner and they got yours. I would stay clear of that dealer at all costs. Get an estimate of the clean up and rental charges for your car and multiply that by 3 for punitive damages. Go to the CA Secretary of State website and look up their corporate name and find the person listed as the one to receive the summons to appear. Send that person a letter describing what they did to you and the damages you are seeking and give them 48 hours to respond or face litigation. If they don't respond, file a small claims case. They may wait until the day before the trial and negotiate a settlement. I did this to a Ford dealer and they got real friendly about 2 days later. The person that received the summons is going to go straight to the owner with the summons, it's his responsibility.

They will take you seriously then or if they cop an attitude in front of the judge they'll lose. When judges get angry awards get unrealistic.
Old 08-27-2002, 08:57 PM
rrf

Should we post a poll?

How many customers do you think RAB just lost?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Service Warning. How free is free?