C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Pse Warning Fault?? - Need help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 03:10 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230 Kompressor sportscoupé (2001)
Pse Warning Fault?? - Need help

Hello all!

Where is the PSE located at a w203 2001 C230k Coupé, and what exactly is a PSE? Any help would be great, or even pictures of the unit..

Thank you all.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by bxtc
Hello all!

Where is the PSE located at a w203 2001 C230k Coupé, and what exactly is a PSE? Any help would be great, or even pictures of the unit..

Thank you all.
I don't get it. You're asking where something is located, but don't know what it even is?
Old 08-17-2006, 04:16 PM
Almost a Member!

I dont know what it does, i just know its faulty and need to be replaced.... but you know what i dont get? How is it that your reply to my post is helping me here? Thats the real mystery...
Old 08-17-2006, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 A4 S Line
How is it that your reply to my post is helping me here? Thats the real mystery...
Don't be a d*ck. You asked a silly question and got a silly answer.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:28 PM
Almost a Member!

Ehhh??

How should i know its SILLY when i have no clue what the heck the PSE is? I tried to search the forum before i asked it..... so tell me.. why is it so silly?
Old 08-17-2006, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 A4 S Line
Ehhh??

How should i know its SILLY when i have no clue what the heck the PSE is? I tried to search the forum before i asked it..... so tell me.. why is it so silly?

I've been looking for a good excuse to use this smiley...
Old 08-17-2006, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
I dont know what it does, i just know its faulty and need to be replaced.... but you know what i dont get? How is it that your reply to my post is helping me here? Thats the real mystery...
How about next time, you indicate that you have a warning saying "faulty PSE", instead of phrasing it the way you did.

Don't be an ***. I was trying to get more clarification so that you could get the answer you needed.

Just cuz I'm a good guy and I have the privilege to edit threads, I'll re-word your thread for you. Would you like me to do the research the problem for you too? Or drive you to the dealership to have it checked out?
Old 08-17-2006, 05:10 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by drexappeal
How about next time, you indicate that you have a warning saying "faulty PSE", instead of phrasing it the way you did.

Don't be an ***. I was trying to get more clarification so that you could get the answer you needed.

Just cuz I'm a good guy and I have the privilege to edit threads, I'll re-word your thread for you. Would you like me to do the research the problem for you too? Or drive you to the dealership to have it checked out?

Hehe thanks... Okay listen, i didnt mean to be a dick, the car is just giving me a real hard time.

I dont have a PSE fault on my display, but i have tested a few things with a freind that indicates its the PSE he says that its the PSE. Cus my battery drains after like 10 hours and the car wont start, it happen after a very rainy day, and when i manually set the interior light, it wont shut off after 30 min. My friend is pretty good at this stuff, but unfortunally he had to catch a flight and was unable to help me futher, thats why i ask you guys in here.

Thanks
Old 08-17-2006, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Hehe thanks... Okay listen, i didnt mean to be a dick, the car is just giving me a real hard time.

I dont have a PSE fault on my display, but i have tested a few things with a freind that indicates its the PSE he says that its the PSE. Cus my battery drains after like 10 hours and the car wont start, it happen after a very rainy day, and when i manually set the interior light, it wont shut off after 30 min. My friend is pretty good at this stuff, but unfortunally he had to catch a flight and was unable to help me futher, thats why i ask you guys in here.

Thanks
I'll let it slide this time, but next time, just be careful what you're saying and jumping to conclusions about people's intentions on this board. I was a "regular" member just like everybody else. Only reason I accepted the "moderator" nomination was to help the forum flow smoother.

Now, regarding your "PSE" fault. After doing a search for "PSE pump" in the entire forum for all threads, these are the thread results:
LINK: "PSE PUMP" search

In those threads, there was one specific thread in the w210 forums that mentioned the PSE PUMP being what controlled the alarm and door locks. It would make sense that this is something that is draining your battery (especially if it is faulty). If this part controls the alarm and door locks, then what's happening with your car makes sense. That being said, the location in the E Class was underneath the back bench seats.

I have no clue if that's the same place it's located for the C Class, but at least it's a start.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:49 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by drexappeal
I'll let it slide this time, but next time, just be careful what you're saying and jumping to conclusions about people's intentions on this board. I was a "regular" member just like everybody else. Only reason I accepted the "moderator" nomination was to help the forum flow smoother.

Now, regarding your "PSE" fault. After doing a search for "PSE pump" in the entire forum for all threads, these are the thread results:
LINK: "PSE PUMP" search

In those threads, there was one specific thread in the w210 forums that mentioned the PSE PUMP being what controlled the alarm and door locks. It would make sense that this is something that is draining your battery (especially if it is faulty). If this part controls the alarm and door locks, then what's happening with your car makes sense. That being said, the location in the E Class was underneath the back bench seats.

I have no clue if that's the same place it's located for the C Class, but at least it's a start.

Yea man i am sorry.....

Thanks for you help, i will see if i can locate it tommorow... i keep you posted mate... Thanks bro!
Old 08-17-2006, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
PSE = PHONE SYSTEMS ELECTRONIC. It's the brain of the phone system.... if you have one.... I have never heard of a PSE draining a battery. There is no air pump in the 203's unless you have multicontour seats but those don't drain batteries either. Most common culprits are seat control units for power seats. Lighting times are usually controlled by the REAR SAM module which can be faulty. Your interior lights should turn off after some time to prevent battery drain. It would be best to go to a dealer and have them hook the car to a Star system and diag it that way.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:44 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by sunman
PSE = PHONE SYSTEMS ELECTRONIC. It's the brain of the phone system.... if you have one.... I have never heard of a PSE draining a battery. There is no air pump in the 203's unless you have multicontour seats but those don't drain batteries either. Most common culprits are seat control units for power seats. Lighting times are usually controlled by the REAR SAM module which can be faulty. Your interior lights should turn off after some time to prevent battery drain. It would be best to go to a dealer and have them hook the car to a Star system and diag it that way.
Okay i didnt know this. I knew about the powerseats but i dont have that in my car, so it looks like the only option left is the REAR SAM. I will try taking it to the dealer to have it checked.... Anyone have an idea how much the rear sam is or have a partnumber for it?

Ps. If the rear sam is indeed faulty, is there anyway i can check it without going to a dealer?
Old 08-18-2006, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
There is no way of checking the rear sam alone without the help of the dealer system. It should be around 400 dollars if I remember correctly.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by sunman
Thanks for jumping in on this one, doc Sunil! This one was way over my head. Never heard of the acronym before...LOL. Just used whatever resources were on here.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:06 PM
Almost a Member!

Well guys i changed the battery today, first we hooked another extra battery on, and took off the old one, and put a new it its place, and then disconnected the extra battery, this was we didnt need to get all kind of fault codes cleared. After we did this i checked all fuses and everything was okay. I used a multimeter to watch the current and everything seemed to be okay. The comand system and the light interioer did shut off after 30 min when i left them on manually. So it seems like everything is back to normal, i dont really know what happend.

To be sure i went to the dealer and they used their magic laptop to check it all, and they said everything looked alright...

So now the car is parked, and its 6.04 pm here in sweden, tommorow i will check if the new battery is dead or not....

But could i really have had all these problems just becuase my battery was old and dead? It is 5 years old the battery never been changed. Any input would be great..

Thanks alot guys!
Old 08-18-2006, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Well guys i changed the battery today, first we hooked another extra battery on, and took off the old one, and put a new it its place, and then disconnected the extra battery, this was we didnt need to get all kind of fault codes cleared. After we did this i checked all fuses and everything was okay. I used a multimeter to watch the current and everything seemed to be okay. The comand system and the light interioer did shut off after 30 min when i left them on manually. So it seems like everything is back to normal, i dont really know what happend.

To be sure i went to the dealer and they used their magic laptop to check it all, and they said everything looked alright...

So now the car is parked, and its 6.04 pm here in sweden, tommorow i will check if the new battery is dead or not....

But could i really have had all these problems just becuase my battery was old and dead? It is 5 years old the battery never been changed. Any input would be great..

Thanks alot guys!
It's possible, but only time will tell. If the new battery gets drained by tomorrow morning, then you know there is more to it. If the dealership hooked up the Star Diagnose and said everything looks okay, then it's possible that you had nothing wrong with the PSE.

Now that Sunman has clarified what the PSE is for the w203, it's quite possible that there is more to it than your friend had indicated (only if the battery change doesn't work). It's always good to find out that the problem was less complicated. Saves a lot of time and hassle.

Good luck with that. Keep us updated and hopefully the fix was just as easy as getting that new battery in.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:12 AM
Almost a Member!

Talking

Hello guys.

Well i went to my car today, and guess what... it started without any problem whatsoever.... I dont know if it still drains the battery, but becuase the battery is new it didnt die yet? Anyways i am going to read the voltage and current of the battery later today, and compare it with yestoday too see if the battery has gotten weaker or not..

I will keep you posted, thanks for all the help from everyone.