C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Becker Audio10 CD loading/unloading problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 04:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB 2004 C230K 6-Sp-Manual Sedan Mars Red
Becker Audio10 CD loading/unloading problem

Hi folks,

I thought I try this here after not much luck in the Audio+Electronics forum

Recently I installed a used Becker Audio10 for W203. However, after experiencing CD loading and unloading problem with the deck, I had to take it out. When I tested it, the CD player took the CD(the only time the player took a CD into it) but then it sounded like the player had problems loading the CD in. The player was making grinding an clicking noise. When I tried to eject the CD, the player made grinding noise but the CD would not come out. After a few failed attemps, I had to fish out the CD. After that, the deck would not take a CD anymore.

Does this deck loading mechanism fixable or is it fubared? Does anyone know if I need a Torx T-6 or T-8 to open the deck? It is smaller than T-10.

Thank you.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Back in the good ole days I bought an Audio 10 CD from Germany for my c-coupe that wasn't packaged well and probably banged around and had the same problem, CD fed in and then jammed in there. I shipped it to Becker U.S., they quoted me $130 to fix it and it was better than throwing it away. They took 2 months when they realized they didn't know anything about that model and shipped it to Germany who fixed it for free.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'04 Mars Red C230K Sport Coupe (not Coup-EH)
If you feel up to fixing a slot-loader, try this. The slot loader uses one of two ways to insert and eject a cd: either a roller on the top and bottom of the cd slot, or a long rubber band on the side of the cd slot (though that's an older method, you can tell if the cd rotates going in and out, it's on the side). These things tend to wear out and get all sorts of stuff on them, much like computer printer rollers that pick up paper. The solution is to open it up, locate the rollers, and wipe them first with a paper towel and 70% alcohol, then use paint thinner to "rough up" the rubber on the roller(s). That should last you quite some time, if that's the problem. It could also be the mechanism that moves the spindle and laser into place isn't disengaging properly, but it will become pretty obvious once you've got it running with the cover off. If you have an old PC power supply, you should be able to hook it up outside the car to play with it.