C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

CHeck engine light is on

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C 230 Kompressor 2002
CHeck engine light is on

Hi, since the last two months my car has been having problems when I am accelerating from 0. I connect the computer from one of my friends who has a body shop and it and shoed two errors.

1- P0103 = Air flow signal voltage high
2- P0172 = System two rich bank #1

They think that is the Air flow sensor. But I would to make sure because I call and the price for it is almost 400$ (just the part.) I am going to try to use some electronic cleaner to see if I can fix that sometimes it helps( my friend told ) please let me know I don’t want to throw away 500 $ without fix the problem. Plus my panoramic roof is falling to close. It has a pop op op op noise when it is closing just at the end when it is almost close, I had to close it manually.

Thank you for the help
Old 09-22-2006, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
I see you have an ITG filter......oiled foam? It's probably your MAF contaminated with oil from the filter. Look at the element in the MAF and see if there's any discoloration/stain on it. The only way a MAF can get contaminated is if the air filter isn't doing it's job, or causing it. Try cleaning the MAF and get a paper air filter element.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:10 PM

C 230 Kompressor 2002
yes i think the same ! i just open the air filter case and the ITG was disintegrating in small pieces. So I took the hold thing away and I am cleaning the hold compartment. Then I went to the sensor and when I opened it I was dirt with particles of the filter and little oil. I am going right now to buy some electronic cleaner to see if I can clean the sensor.

Do you recommend something else? I am not much of a mechanic but with a little help I know I can do this. I already bought the paper benz air filter.

Please advise me. I need it.

Thanks
Old 09-22-2006, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
CRC actually makes a MAF Sensor Cleaner but I think pressurized liquid electronics cleaners work as well (and if you search you'll see that's what most people use). Don't touch/rub the sensor wire because it is very delicate....that is, it relies on x amount of metal on it to calibrate the air flow. Let us know how things go.
Old 09-22-2006, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A P0172 can be the MAF or vacuum leak, maybe fuel injectors or low fuel pressure but you didn't get any misfires (p030x). If you your engine isn't stuttering, hesitating I would rule out the vacuum leak so the most likely culprit is the MAF, luckily the easiest to resolve. Remove the MAF. If I remember correctly on your car it's on the drivers side just before the throttle body and is about 6" long and looks like it's part of the tubing with a connector wire going to the middle). Once removed, you'll need to remove the MAF insert, it's held in with 2 security torx screws. At the end of the insert is a gold colored thick wire about 1/2" long. Spray the heck out of it from every angle with CRC MAF Sensor Cleaner (got mine at Pep Boys), don't be cheap, let it have it and whatever you do, do not touch the wire. Do not use brake cleaner or carb cleaner just because it's handy. If you really can't get the MAF sensor cleaner, go to electronics store, maybe rat shack and get tuner cleaner. Reassemble, clear codes and have at it and hope it goes away. This is a 10 minute job and you'll barely get your hands dirty.

If you really want a new maf or the one you have is beyond cleaning, there's someone selling one on the forum, maybe he'll chime in. If not check out Duval Motors, an MB dealer that discounts, should be $320 or so.

Lastly, vacuum out the air filter box and put in a new filter, you don't want to recontaminate the MAF.
Old 09-22-2006, 05:44 PM

C 230 Kompressor 2002
ohh yessss! Thank you guys. I just cleaned the sensor, clean all the mess around it, and my car is like new again. I just need to fix the roof problem. I am so happyyyyyyyyyy

I have a couple of questions... I need to perform service B in my car, but i want also to change the plugs, and gas filter. Is that necessary?? my car has 52k miles. i got a friend that for the plugs charge me only 60 bucks labor, but if you have any recommendation that what should do to my car please let now.

Thank youuuuu again )