C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

TV-TUNER built in COMMAND...secret screen

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2001, 07:25 PM
Bux
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G
TV-TUNER built in COMMAND...secret screen

ok i was messing around and when you hold down MUTE+1+3 it go's to a tech screen then use the knob to move down to the last option that says "CONFIGURATION" then in that screen it has a few options with check boxes next to it. One of those options it says TV-TUNER but the box next to it is unchecked....there has to be a way to check that box or at least order the tvtuner piece through european part #'s...

btw i did this in a C32 AMG with command...anymore input on this would be appreciated
Old 12-21-2001, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
The only TV Tuner Mercedes makes is a PAL tuner. The PAL Standard wont work for US brodcasts.
As far as the check box goes, the only way to get that enabled (If you did install the Tuner and were in Europe so it would work) is that have the dealer enable the tuner thrugh the CAN BUS Ring via the DAS computer.

Now, if someone could figure out how to convert a PAL Tuner to a NTSC Tuner then there may be a way to make all thos work. You would need to install some TV antenna's in the rear window by the fm/am antenna's . I started looking into this over a year ago for my CL and still have never found an easy way to make all this work. The main problem is the PAL Tuner. The tuner itself is available to order from MB Germany for approx $900.00 US dollars.
Old 12-22-2001, 03:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
Hi, Although you get that screen [ and it corrosponds to a load of settings the dealer can do ], the other TV tuner screens that appear under the "versions" bit of that hidden menu are not there on US COMANDS.

I suspect you could install the European software upgrade disk and then you would get the TV button working [and saying "No TV" rather than doing nothing] but some of the other features you have in the US [like internetty stuff] that dont exist in Europe wouldnt be there.

As Adam says, you'd need a NTSC tuner and there doesnt seem to be one availbale. The European Tuner supports PAL/Secam and therefore does the rest of the world excecpt US countries ..

R