C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

License Plate - Photo blocker

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
This explains a little.....

Found it on the web...."In many towns, the cameras take a 12-second-long video of the incident - and in most of those towns, that video is up on a website so that you can look at it. Go to the site and have a look. If they have video, but it's not online, there's two ways to get a look at it. You could file a Discovery, to get a copy sent to you. (See FAQ # 5, below, for info about Discovery.) Or, you could make an appointment to go look at it at the police department. I do not recommend the latter method, as the police may take the opportunity to twist your arm, hard. If the video shows you made a full stop, or very close to one, ask the officer to dismiss your ticket." from: http://highwayrobbery.net
Old 10-23-2006, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mleskovar
So they didn't stop at all, just slowed down and rolled through it? What was the speed shown as? How long was the light red? How do you know where the sensors are placed? Do you think they are attached to the camera (logical, but I don't know). What do you mean "obvious the driver cannot stop before the crosswalk"? That he could have stopped way before the limit line and then proceeded through it and then was snapped? Sorry about all the questions but if we don't know how the system works/reacts then you can't question it. Does anyone know? So it looks like $346 was for running the light and not for coming to a complete stop. I wonder what separates the two?
"Obvious he couldn't stop before the crosswalk" because he was 6' away and doing 17 mph in a massive truck. Knowing what my trucks are capable of I'm pretty sure he did it. Also, he called me and told me I would probably be getting a ticket because he saw the flash. It is also noted the vehicle was continously moving. I'm not sure if there are ground sensors or if there is a radar implemented with the camera.

The intersection was at Warner & Harbor (just norht of the 405). I work in Garden Grove and there are cameras all over my area and Westminster.

I'm also willing to bet, sometime in the the not so distant future they will cite you for moving violations. i.e.-when you run a red light and smile, they can review the picture and say "oh looky here his rear left brake light is out....cha-ching". I don't think it's happening now but think of the revenue they could create just from riced cars alone.

Also notice how only the driver was photographed? Not too long ago a gentleman and his mistress were cruising around town (I think L.A. area) and initiated a red light violation. This dude and his buck fuddy were photographed and the violation was mailed to his house. His wife opened the package and noticed the passenger wasn't her...BUSTED! From what I remember he fought the city about a privacy violation and won.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:23 PM

Black 04 C230 Kompressor SS
When I drive in London I rent cars with my US licence and have been photographed twice. They have speed cameras. If they caught up with mw there is so much paper work involved with a foreign licence & out of towner that I got away with it. However I was snapped in NYC in the intersection 1.5 sec after the light had turned red. Two pics were taken, one of the car in the intersection with a caption of my speed & time after light turned red and the other was a close up of my licence plate. $50 fine.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:43 AM

cclass05
yeah i got one of those too i ran a full red light it was already red light for like 10 seconds and i ran it i did not even know it was red i got lucky
there were no cars cuz the speed limit is like 50 so cars will be flyin right there, it was green tho b4 but the i was talkin to my friend and chaning the song and i did not look to see if the light changed lol so u just see me going 30mph runnign a red light speed limit like 50 n **** cuz it says 30mph on the paper thing
can those give u a speeding ticket if u pass when its green with like 90mph?
i was atleast happy cuz i was going 30mph i am lucky i did not get cought doing 90mph on a 50 speed limit and passing a red light cuz no way to stop or 80 on a 35 running a red light i done so many of those its not even funny Lol.
there was only one car but when he saw me coming so fast it he was not looking for the light to turn green he was looking for me to pass the red light so basically his green does not mean any thing Lol

for some reason every day in last week i got flashed by those cameras every day that **** scares u and i get a headache i hate the flash.

Last edited by slammedcclass; 10-24-2006 at 12:52 AM.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:08 PM

06 C230 Black/Ash
Smile

Originally Posted by Rick
A little off topic....but there's a point to be made.
I had installed laser defraction license plate covers on each of my vehicles. They also supposedly worked to distort video camera images. I failed NJ inspection on one of my MG's and got a $74 ticket (obstructed license plate) for it in my coupe. The coupe was subsequently searched, and the cop pulled out the floor mats, glove box and console contents, rear seat cushion, spare tire, cover, tools and rear hatch panels. He also confiscated a leatherman tool from my tool kit. He then waited for me to put it all back after threatening to write another ticket for littering.

A friend/lawyer/judge wrote a pretty stern letter to his Chief, but the bottom line is...Rookie cops suck.

I can't say what the laws are in other states, but in NJ, they look for any reason to pull you over. If I have to give advice, I'd say it's not worth it.

Hi Rick,

Any chance you can send me more information on these "laser defraction license plate covers"?

Thanks.