C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Perfume Stain on Leather Seats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML63 AMG
Perfume Stain on Leather Seats

Hey –

As the thread title states there is believed to be a perfume stain on my passenger leather seat. I believe my girlfriend spilt perfume because I smelt it and it seems like it was perfume, but I can’t be 100% sure. Anyway, when I got back yesterday, I noticed that there is a stain (as big a Mercedes key).

She didn't notice until I noticed it, therefore I’m not sure how long it’s been there. It could be 1 week. Anyway, yesterday when I got back I took it to a cash wash where they tried to apply some soft chemical to try and remove it and although it slightly faded, the leather seat was also showing signs of wear; therefore they stopped. Then I took it to Mercedes, they tried some stronger stuff (that allegedly won’t wear the seats), but again, no luck. When they tried something stronger it seemed to be slightly removing it – again at the expense of the leather. Unfortunately the parts department was already closed so I couldn't try and buy the leather cleaner to see if that would work (or any other interior cleaner), but my question to you all is have you guys had something embedded to your seat and been able to successfully remove it?

It’s also worth mentioning that the guy at Mercedes who helped me (who worked in the service department) told me that it’s possible to remove the leather ‘wrapping’ off the seat and insert a new leather ‘wrapping’ (which I was not aware of - ?), instead of having to buy a whole new seat (last case scenario). Does anybody know about this?

As for the stain, it’s not horrific, but one of those things that just irk you, because you know your car isn’t perfect. Anyway: HELP!

Tee_Tz.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 c230 v6 SS
i think your girl was jus happy to see you. , but i dont think the inserts are possible they seem to be uniform, try a leather cleaner like meguires etc, if its jus a stain, then it might come out with a conditioner/cleaner. good luck.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
Been there done that. Many perfumes and liquid air fresheners contain petroleum distillates. It is a weak form of mineral oil like paint thinner. It will dissolve the coating on the seat covers. Cleaning the area with other chemicals will only make it worse or do nothing to help. Best thing to do is let the chemical evaporate. Then you can dye the seat covers and get a pretty good color match. If you want the seat covers to match perfectly then your only other option is to buy a new seat cover ($250+).

That is why I never use liquid air fresheners in the car. I threw them all away. I only use solid air fresheners that will not spill.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63 AMG
pshek - Will the stain completely evaporate? I don't understand what you mean about the dye - around the stain or the whole seat?

anthuny85 - I'll try that leather cleaner tonight; hopefully they'll have it at AutoZone or something.

Tee_Tz.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
Originally Posted by tee_tz
pshek - Will the stain completely evaporate? I don't understand what you mean about the dye - around the stain or the whole seat?

anthuny85 - I'll try that leather cleaner tonight; hopefully they'll have it at AutoZone or something.

Tee_Tz.

You need to dye the whole seat insert, depends on where the stain is. If you try just to dye the stain, it will not blend in. It is just like spray painting. Perfume will completely evaporate with heat. Leave your car in the hot sun for a day, then come back and smell the perfume. There should be very little residue on the seats. I tried every single damn leather cleaner product from Meguiars. None worked. The stain will only get bigger the more you touch it.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63 AMG
Okay, so what if I use a blow-dryer on the stain for like 30 minutes, will that do the trick? And if it'll evaporate, then why do I need to dye?

Tee_Tz.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
Originally Posted by tee_tz
Okay, so what if I use a blow-dryer on the stain for like 30 minutes, will that do the trick? And if it'll evaporate, then why do I need to dye?

Tee_Tz.
Yeah, that will work faster. You still need to dye because the stain will not go away. The damage has already been done by the perfume and removed the top layer of the leather MB-TEX.