C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Braking problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 03:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Braking problem

About one of every ten or twenty times that I hit the brakes, the car pitches forward suddenly. I expect some nose-down movement as I brake, of course, but on these occasions the front jerks downward. The total distance that the front moves downward is the same, but it is very sudden. It never happens twice in succession; the gas pedal must be pressed to 'reset' the problem.

It is still under warranty, so I took it to the dealer. I was assuming a loose suspension part. They said that it was a transmission problem: "Harsh down shift. Replaced control unit." This did not fix the problem at all.

The car has 48K miles on it, at least half of that is 70-85 mph freeway driving in southern California. Should I be looking at non-warranted parts like struts + shocks?

Is the mechanic a complete moron? Or is this a reasonable mistake? ( I'm in the process of composing a written complaint to the dept manager. I don't want to smack the mechanic for something minor )

Thanks
Old 11-06-2006, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Could be the brake assist feature (BAS). It senses how fast you press on the pedal and if it reaches it's threshold it takes over for you applying the brakes as hard as needed to bring the car to a stop as quickly as possible. It could be that it's working normal and you pressed the pedal too rapidly or it's malfunctioning and sensing that you are pressing the pedal too rapidly.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks, but that does not fit one criteria: it never happens twice in sucession.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Waiting for W204 Facelift
Originally Posted by Robert Schrader
About one of every ten or twenty times that I hit the brakes, the car pitches forward suddenly. I expect some nose-down movement as I brake, of course, but on these occasions the front jerks downward. The total distance that the front moves downward is the same, but it is very sudden. It never happens twice in succession; the gas pedal must be pressed to 'reset' the problem.

It is still under warranty, so I took it to the dealer. I was assuming a loose suspension part. They said that it was a transmission problem: "Harsh down shift. Replaced control unit." This did not fix the problem at all.

The car has 48K miles on it, at least half of that is 70-85 mph freeway driving in southern California. Should I be looking at non-warranted parts like struts + shocks?

Is the mechanic a complete moron? Or is this a reasonable mistake? ( I'm in the process of composing a written complaint to the dept manager. I don't want to smack the mechanic for something minor )

Thanks

The same problem I have . after engine error light ON I went to MB .Service examined that because of bad petrol octane did it! They changed some mechanical suspension part . after this process, when I press brake or off gas pedal , car little pitches forward. I talked with Service Authorite that We will do test drive together .